New LA Times article on Michelle | Golden Skate

New LA Times article on Michelle

Thanks for the link, Nymkfan. Michelle is just extraordinary. I liked this part:

"While chatting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, a former figure skater and a University of Denver alumna, Kwan said she'd like to serve her country. The State Department called two weeks later..." :rock:

I also noted that she describes her hip injury as dating back to 2002 (not 2004 as revealed by Raphael Arutunian). This would make sense. 2003 was the first season where she tried to cut back on her competitive schedule. She was roped into doing Skate America as a last-minute substitute for Sarah Hughes and did so well that she made the GP final on that one performance alone (she had to petition to get out of the final). There was speculation that she would skip Nationals and Worlds that year, but that she decided to go for it because Worlds was in the U.S. that year.

I also found very interesting her comments about school opening up new vistas for her and about expanding her circle of friends beyond the ice skating world.

Michelle just totally rocks! :love:

Lucy25

Final Flight
Great article! She seems much more open about her life now that she is no longer under the microscope so much. What a wonderful role model she is!

Not a big surprise to me. I've been posting she's injured long before it became public, and I never bought that groin thing. I also believe the hip injury began before 2002. However, she was concerned about her committments and continued to skate through 2006.

I think so much was going on just pior to the 2002 Olympics what with Frank and Lorie. It's amazing how well she did in those years with all that pain. But was it worth it?

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the link. I thought it was cute that she and Karen are watching YouTube videos of when they were both younger - I wonder which ones???

Did anyone notice that she will be in China during Nationals? I was sort of hoping to see her in the stands - you know the camera would pan on her a lot and she would have gotten interviewed, oh well, maybe next year!

nymkfan51

Medalist
Thanks for the link, Nymkfan. Michelle is just extraordinary. I liked this part:

"While chatting with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, a former figure skater and a University of Denver alumna, Kwan said she'd like to serve her country. The State Department called two weeks later..." :rock:

Hey, when the Kween speaks ... people listen!!! :bow:

And I agree about the injury dating back to 2002. I thought I had remembered it being mentioned somewhere at that time that her back was the problem. But who knows? Clearly she was not herself from that point on. It's totally amazing what she accomplished in spite of it, though.

I :love: the Kween!!!

euterpe

Medalist
She says she has not retired and doesn't feel as if her eligible career is over. It sounds to me as if she is still interested in competing. Maybe someday we will see her skate again at US Nationals.

emma

Record Breaker
She says she has not retired and doesn't feel as if her eligible career is over. It sounds to me as if she is still interested in competing. Maybe someday we will see her skate again at US Nationals.

Maybe - and I would love it, but she also said she'll be 40 and still eligible which made me think she is saying she loves to compete and just can't say - I'm done, even if she is, well, done.

R.D.

Record Breaker
nice article, thanks.

"Brian Boitano was like, 'I just knew,' " she said. "I don't think I'll ever have that [and know] 'It's over. I can't do it anymore.' I'll probably be eligible for the rest of my life. I'll be 40 and say, 'I've got to compete!' "

:laugh: :laugh:

Maybe - and I would love it, but she also said she'll be 40 and still eligible which made me think she is saying she loves to compete and just can't say - I'm done, even if she is, well, done.
Yes, but other skaters who went ":pro" whatever that means from a skater who won millions on being 'amateur' makes me think is thee any moe money in competing?. If not, will she skate for the love of competion with out the cash? Just a thought.

Joe

Last edited:

Bynx

On the Ice
Yes, but other skaters who went ":pro" whatever that means from a skater who won millions on being 'amateur' makes me think is thee any moe money in competing?. If not, will she skate for the love of competion with out the cash? Just a thought.

Joe

huh? :laugh:

And going "Pro" simply means giving up
your Olympic eligibility, now.

Anyways,
great article and sounds like
Michelle is at a very good place
in her life. :)

Eeyora

Final Flight
That certainly is a great article. I couldn't imagine putting up with the pain for as long as she did.

jesslily

Final Flight
Coming back to compete is just a dream. Staying in eligible makes Michelle look a lot better. I guess she and people around her did a great job to keep the injury not knowing by public. I have been wondering how Michelle has never had major injury except the toe in 1998 while all the rest elite skaters always have some injuries.

ladybug

On the Ice
Why not stay eligible? She loses nothing by keeping her options open.

Except for not being able to do a Disson Show or the Brian Boitano Show, everything else will remain the same. I don't believe Michelle will ever officially retire. She will just phase into her new interests and make a new life for herself.

I for one would love to see a farewell special but I don't think that will ever be. Just think of the ratings that would get. Primetime ABC.

Ladybug

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Except for not being able to do a Disson Show or the Brian Boitano Show, everything else will remain the same. I don't believe Michelle will ever officially retire. She will just phase into her new interests and make a new life for herself.

I for one would love to see a farewell special but I don't think that will ever be. Just think of the ratings that would get. Primetime ABC.

Ladybug

Why couldn't Michelle do a Disson show or the Boitano special? I know Sarah Hughes once hosted her own Disson show, and, she is still officially Oly eligibile.

IMO, people often have surgery in the hopes that they can "get back to normal"; the success of the surgery is often measured on how close to their former state they can return. For MK, "normal" is physically able to compete. So, to retire now, before the surgery results are fully known, is to say essentially that the surgery won't work because it can't get her "back to normal" -- and I don't think that is a good mindset for someone still recuperating.

Last edited:

christinaskater

Medalist
I admire Michelle so much, she is a true champion indeed! Probably one of the best skaters in history!

Her competitiveness made her a legend!

5 World titles and 9 US titles and 2 Olympic Medals! WoW!

I wouldn't exchange those countless masterpieces on ice for one olympic gold medal!