Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Weir Braces for a Run at National Title #4: Interview

News Weir Braces for a Run at National Title #4: Interview

Champions often say that it's easier to get to the top than to stay there. In just a few weeks reigning US men's champion Johnny Weir will either successfully defend his crown, or go ... More

Down With It
    heh, interesting interview. He really just lays it out there. Thanks for posting

Outstanding interview. KB rocks! It is amazing how you can get these very private folks to open up so fully.

The few paragraphs about Anissina, Tarasova and Zhulin were very interesting. I wonder if there is anything more behind the story?

Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    Champions often say that it's easier to get to the top than to stay there. In just a few weeks reigning US men's champion Johnny Weir will either successfully defend his crown, or go ... More
    Last few paras got to me. I still think he is harboring othe personal problems which we do not know. If I am corect, then that is what he must acknowledge and try to get over. Oncd he does that, he will be the next Wold Champion.. A very unique skater!!!

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    to Kathleen Bangs for a great interview and to Weir for being such a great interviewee.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Thanks, Paula. And thanks to Kathleen for writing the article.

Custom Title

Weir Braces for a Run at National Title #4

Great interview!

I really hope Weir comes prepared for Nationals. So far this year, he has really fallen short. Very disappointing.

Dizzy

Great interview and so in depth! I tend to think that Weir is just a very complicated person who displays that quality in interviews. I do think he has more emotional barriers to performance than someone like Brian Boitano who seemed to be able to concentrate very fully on training. I always thought that Boitano had a valuable quality ( and not all that common) in that respect. When Johnny is on, it is beautiful to see. But, his performance hinges on so many mutable personal factors, I think.

I do empathize with him because I resemble him much more than the Boitanos, but I do think he will have to overcome these barriers somehow to reach his full potential in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Last few paras got to me. I still think he is harboring othe personal problems which we do not know. If I am corect, then that is what he must acknowledge and try to get over. Oncd he does that, he will be the next Wold Champion.Joe
    It's just a good reminder that skaters are people Physical obstacles aren't the only ones that can impact a performance - or other areas of person's career, work, life, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Outstanding interview. KB rocks! It is amazing how you can get these very private folks to open up so fully.

The few paragraphs about Anissina, Tarasova and Zhulin were very interesting. I wonder if there is anything more behind the story?
    I wondered the same thing. My biggest concern is that maybe a bridge has been burned with Tarasova....i would hate for johnny to not work with her again.

Ant

Thanks for the excellent interview!

A few comments that interested me:

This season is important. I can only speak for myself, but it's important that I'm showing two new programs this season and not sticking with old ones - at least so far.
    My emphasis added - does this suggest that he might return to old programs later in the season? Frmo a very selfish perspective i'd like to see camile again!!!

I think my favorite other guy to watch is Thomas Verner from the Czech Republic. He's very interesting, even his hands are expressive and generally most people's hands die when they skate.
    Interestingly i think Johhny's hands (and arms) have died this season. Marina has him doing big manly fist shaking an awful lot in his programs and i no longer see the beautiful arms and hands we've been used to seeing from him. To me there's a slight conflict in him asserting that he has a great involvement in his choregoraphy, yet the thing he's noted in Verner - the hands is something that he's ditched from his programs this season.

Anyway - great interview i really enjoyed reading about him.

Ant
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 12-28-2006 at 03:18 PM.

he wanted a more masculine style, apparently he thought that was what was keeping him down (otherwise why change?) I wish he'd stick to being Johnny. I may not be a fan of his style of skating, but I like the new look far less...

he should skate Otonal for the rest of his career (like ant I can be selfish on what I want to see lol) because it's a stunning program - when skated well lol

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    he should skate Otonal for the rest of his career (like ant I can be selfish on what I want to see lol) because it's a stunning program - when skated well lol
    It's my favorite of his programs... so far! Or, I could say, my favorite of any men's program since Yagudin.

Custom Title
    I was disappointed with Johnny's snarky responses in his interview with Carruthers at GPF. So since I have long been a fan of his, it was good to read this article that put things more into perspective (in my mind anyway).

I just hope he forces himself to train for the next few weeks and really lay down two solid performances at Nats. Although the jury is still out on the Anissina programs (not working for me so far --- but not giving up yet), perhaps her involvement on team Weir needs to be re-thought.

Would love to see ALL the men skate their hearts out.

Down With It
    What did Johnny say exactly to Carruthers that has people up in arms? Anyone got a rough translation of what he said (or a video)?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    What did Johnny say exactly to Carruthers that has people up in arms? Anyone got a rough translation of what he said (or a video)?
    To paraphrase wildly, he basically said words to the effect of 'We all make excuses. Evan's been skating with a bad hip for years. So if he skates badly, it's the hip. If he skates well, no mention of the hip.' And went on to say something like 'walk a mile in my shoes before you ask if my excuses are valid.'

Again, gross paraphrasing of his actual comments.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast