Weir Braces for a Run at National Title #4: Interview | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Weir Braces for a Run at National Title #4: Interview

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, everyone should have to follow the rules, so sounds like they did the right thing to me. And if Kwan or Cohen should ever come back they should also have to do the regionals like everyone else. JMO

euterpe

Medalist
Johnny got a bye through Regionals because he competed at Finlandia (and won silver). He won Eastern Sectionals to get to Nationals 2004, where he won his first US championship.

Johnny got a bye through Regionals because he competed at Finlandia (and won silver). He won Eastern Sectionals to get to Nationals 2004, where he won his first US championship.
Indeed, but I am also hinting at the USFS may be wishing Evan take the lead. Just a tiny suspicion - not anything perfectly possible.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Well, everyone should have to follow the rules, so sounds like they did the right thing to me. And if Kwan or Cohen should ever come back they should also have to do the regionals like everyone else. JMO

Isn't there an automatic bye to Nats for reigning Oly medalists? If so, Cohen won't need to go through regionals or sectionals. Also, if Cohen does have to go through regionals, would she and MK be going to the same one? (If so, ticket prices are going to rise through the roof!)

R.D.

Record Breaker
OMG, if they were to duke it out in regionals? They'll probably even televise it.

I'm not aware of a bye, you might know more than I do about that. Does it cover the whole four years you're the reigning medalist?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Some male skaters have been lucky after they competed in Finlandia Trophy in early fall... Plushenko won his first Worlds and Weir his first US title.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I believe lots of athletes in many other sports tend to "tough out" injuries...unless they are so severe that it prevents them from playing at all (or playing with any effectiveness).

But didn't johnny specifically say that he injured his non landing leg and went on to explain that if you injure your landing leg you can "tough it out" but if you injure your take off leg then you cannot get any spirng to even try your jumps, so isn't that stopping them from playing at all or with any effectiveness?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker

No only Kwan - Cohen gets to go back to natioanls any time shepleases between now and the 2010 Olympics since a reigning Olympic medalist is gvien a bye directly to nationals.

Ant

Some people just can't believe that Kwan and Cohen are NO LONGER AROUND and so they have to use them as comparatives for the next 20 years.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No only Kwan - Cohen gets to go back to natioanls any time shepleases between now and the 2010 Olympics since a reigning Olympic medalist is gvien a bye directly to nationals.

Ant

There was once a rule like this, but it would have to be reinstated at the beginning of each season.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Some people just can't believe that Kwan and Cohen are NO LONGER AROUND and so they have to use them as comparatives for the next 20 years.

Because no one uses Hamill or Lynn as comparisons for modern skaters do they??

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
There was once a rule like this, but it would have to be reinstated at the beginning of each season.

Oh i didn't realise that rules had to be reinstated in this way i thought once it was in it was in until it was revoked.

Ant

momjudi

On the Ice
But didn't johnny specifically say that he injured his non landing leg and went on to explain that if you injure your landing leg you can "tough it out" but if you injure your take off leg then you cannot get any spirng to even try your jumps, so isn't that stopping them from playing at all or with any effectiveness?

Yes, Johnny injured his take off leg, he couldn't cross his right foot over his left foot making it impossible for him to rotate his jumps. Read the interview with Kathleen Bangs for a full explaination of the injury and why Johnny had to wiithdraw from the GPF.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Great interview! I love to read KB's interviews and love her photos of the skaters, too.

Men's figure skating will be much less interesting without Johnny Weir.

antmanb

Record Breaker
:laugh: :laugh: But when will it end? It's time to move on. Otherwise I'll bring up Sonia Klopfer and Jacqueline DuBief.;)

Joe

Never!!! Its never time to move on. I love rooting out old tapes of skating and watching them and then cmoparing to the modern skaters. That's all part of the fun of skating. I can watch Witts Carmen and compare it to recent olympic medalists. I've had other skaters before that have been my yard stick against which i measure new skaters i like. Kwan is now that ladies skater for me. I recently posted in aother thread that i think Stojko is the best jumper i've seen in men's skating because of his soft flowing landings his 4T/3T was much better than Plushenko's IMO because of the superior landings and flow.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Witt, Stoyko, etc. are all within the last 20 years. What about before 1980?

For me pre 1980 means looking them up on youtube. John Curry will always be my yardstick for men, him and Robin Cousins. As far as ladies go - i always watched them just because i always watched what skating i could, i was never actually interested in a ladies competition until 1995 worlds when lulu and michelle shone and made me interested. Before that i was never that bothered. Pairs was my main love and is was the russians all the way!

Ant

kajsa

Rinkside
I was just watching skating at YouTube and found this, Weir's LP from last year's US Nationals:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjUslv_n2gU

WOW, WOW, WOW

That performance has been a real masterpiece. I watched it about four - five times in a row and it's totally awesome. I remembered why I used to love his skating. I just hope he would have been able to skate like this at the olympics too.