Mao's 3A | Golden Skate

Mao's 3A

doug_log

On the Ice
Did she lose it? Hasn't landed it in any of her 4 attempts. She was 2-for-three during last season's GP series. Anyone have any practice reports?

angelika

Spectator
Did she lose it? Hasn't landed it in any of her 4 attempts. She was 2-for-three during last season's GP series. Anyone have any practice reports?

It seems me that a lot of people misunderstand or never notice that
She tries 3A with step(it's harder), not normal 3A this season.
(she always doesnt land 3A at gala, though :biggrin: )

flying camel

Medalist
She is growing taller, so it seems to be getting harder for her to get the height she use to get. It's too bad because that has become her signature jump. When she misses it, it all seems to fall apart.:cool:

Last edited:

Oscilla

On the Ice
 It seems me that a lot of people misunderstand or never notice that
She tries 3A with step(it's harder), not normal 3A this season.

ITA. Not even men are doing 3A out of connecting steps. It /is/ very difficult. 3A out of brackets when executed perfectly should get +3 for GoE. That means 10.5 points total for a 3A - just as much as the base value for a quad.

She certainly did not lose 3A. She's done it successfully a lot of times in practices and warm-ups this season. Here you can see a few attempts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGtcv_0jESM

The growth spurt was a bit troublesome for her. However, Mao said that while she is still accustoming to it, she feels as if the worst part of it is already behind her. She initially had some troubles with the balance and flexibility, which negatively influenced her jumps, spins and spirals. They are much better now than at the beginning of the season, though.

Fossi

Final Flight
I hope Mao can keep the 3axel. She doesn't do all the triples, so if she loses this it might pose a problem for her. I think this is a problem for hte young skaters. They get so much headlines before their time and when they can't do it every time then they get kind of jumped on. I hope Kimmie can continue to land her
3/3's despite a shakey season because these help her to get points and she needs work on artistry/presentation. they need to keep these technical skills, because if they don't then those young girls will pass them by :rofl: They are all young girls now days though!!!! :chorus:

doug_log

On the Ice
Oscilla,

Thank you....That's exactly the kind of vid I was looking for. Looks like she still has it pretty solid. Just competition nerves, I guess.
-dl

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link! Mao makes the triple axel with intricate entrance look crazy easy in this practice sesion, WOW!

antmanb

Record Breaker
ITA. Not even men are doing 3A out of connecting steps. It /is/ very difficult. 3A out of brackets when executed perfectly should get +3 for GoE. That means 10.5 points total for a 3A - just as much as the base value for a quad.

That's not quite true - the steps into the 3A make the prep/entrance part of the jump difficult which warrants a +1 GOE. In order to get a +3 she would have to have superior qualities in flight and landing parts of the jump too - great height or a variation like having an arm held up during the jump plus excellent flow out of the jump - at least the same amount of speed out of it as she had going in, or more spped out than in. That would warrant a +3. In all fht ejumps in that youtube clip you provided she does a good triple axel, but even the best attempts i think are worth of a +1 or +2 at best - i don't think there's anything spectaular about the lfight or landing parts of the jump.

Ant