Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Does Emily Hughes have a shot at the National Title?

Custom Title

Does Emily Hughes have a shot at the National Title?

I think she does! Kimmie hasn't been consistent this year. Emily hasn't either, but she is a Hughes. They are full of surprises. Really though, Em has been practicing hard and I think she just might pull it off. Notice, I wrote think she might I think she has a shot if Kimmie can't pull off what she did at Worlds. Emily has spunk and pizazz very similar to Sasha Cohen in Sasha's younger years. She is hungry and wants it. Oh, I can't wait!

Go Em~

Custom Title
    IMO, Emily might also have extra motivation that Kimmie doesn't have -- recognition as a skater in her own right, rather than being Sarah's sister (or Michelle's alternate). This might help.

Custom Title
    I love's Emily's short this year. I think she could actually win the short program. But she has not proven to be a LP skater. I don't see that changing with Nationals. She has too much trouble with the flip & lutz. I think she will end up third.

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    I don't know really ... the odds are against it, I think.

What Emily has over Kimmie, IMO, is personality on the ice. Plus, I think Emily's programs are wonderfully constructed for COP. She puts her whole being into the presentation of them, and this makes for a very pleasant end product.
    What she does not have are the jumps. She doesn't even attempt a 3 loop anymore, and her lutz has become a substantial problem as well. She hasn't done anything close to a clean LP this season and that does not bode well for her winning Nationals. I think Kimmie would have to really bomb to lose, and besides that, the usfsa will hold her up to a certain extent as the current world champion.

It's certainly not impossible, but my guess is she's looking at silver if she skates well.

Custom Title
    I have to agree with the last post. Emily's jumps seem to have gone south, especially the lutz and flip, and without those, she has little or no chance of beating Kimmie. It might be possible for someone else who DOES have consistent jumps to pass her as well.

Unless Emily's jumping has undergone a major change for the positive, I think she will be fighting for second or even third.

Banned

Emily

Unfortunately Emily actually has a shot, I don't want to see such horror movie though!

She is really not pleasant to watch.

Custom Title
    I'm curious.....why would you say it woudl be unfortunate and like a horror movie? I think she is youthful, fun, spunky, sweet. I never thought of her skating as scary or having horror like movie qualities. I know, different strokes for different folks.... BUT for all the Emhaters out there, what makes her so horrifying?

Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    I'm curious.....why would you say it woudl be unfortunate and like a horror movie? I think she is youthful, fun, spunky, sweet. I never thought of her skating as scary or having horror like movie qualities. I know, different strokes for different folks.... BUT for all the Emhaters out there, what makes her so horrifying?
    I enjoy watching her. She is not at the top of my list but enjoyable all the same.

Custom Title
    I don't think Emily's skating is a horror show, but she is more than a little uncontrolled. She seems to throw her body into the jumps and the result is she has to 'save' the landings. This season, she is popping and underrotating the important jumps (lutz and flip).

I think maybe her coach was trying to get Emily to clean up her jump technique and the end result has been that she's lost her timing.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't say I am an Emhater, but I do not enjoy her skating much and don't see her winning Nats. I do rather like her SP though.

However, who WILL win? The US is not having a great year. No ladies making the GPF (or skating well in general), Evan and Johnny constantly injured, Belbin & Agosto's less-than-stellar FD ... and I don't think John Baldwin has landed a sbs 3T all season.

This may the year for surprises. Who knows? Maybe Emily does have a shot.

Emily and Kimmie are totally different types of skaters IMO and both are not at their peaks.

For me, Emily is more of a power skater. She also emits her energetic personality when she skates. I enjoy her skating much more than Sarah's.

Kimmie is a bit more reserved in her personality on ice, but she has a sense of determination in her routines. She's a strong competetor when it really counts. She gives off a strong sense of competence that I find lacking in the other US ladies at this time.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I guess my problem with her is that she doesn't choose a skating style (music and costume) that fits her body type. She is a very solid, strong, athletic looking girl but this season is skating to 19th C. ballet music in a wispy pink little ice-princess dress. It doesn't suit her. I think she looks better in a unitard or pants and skating to contemporary music (e.g. her Proud Mary exhibition).

That elated smile of hers gets positively irritating after a while. It would be nice to see her express some other emotions.

Her jumps look heavy and low and her spirals are not pretty. People will say vociferously that she does not need to lose weight, but some elements might benefit from a bit more lightness.

Last, she always rides on her sister's accomplishments. I don't think people would pay half as much attention to her if it weren't for Sarah. So she seems overhyped. That is not fair to other skaters or even Emily herself. I suspect that USFS is encouraging it too in the effort to get publicity and audiences.

All this said, she's obviously a fine skater - but not one I much enjoy watching most of the time. I would be disappointed if she won because I think there are many more gifted skaters in the U.S. (some of whom are not competing as seniors yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    She is a very solid, strong, athletic looking girl but this season is skating to 19th C. ballet music in a wispy pink little ice-princess dress. It doesn't suit her. I think she looks better in a unitard or pants and skating to contemporary music (e.g. her Proud Mary exhibition).
    I totally agree, Pink and White are not her colors, nor the colors of the programme either IMO. She looked good in black and the "darkish" blue and "panted" outfits.

Custom Title
    I have to agree with the point of Emily's choice of FS music. She consistently chooses ballet music, and she is physically the antithesis of the delicate ballerina-type skater. I don't much like the choreography in both SP and FS that has her waving her arms about like aimless fly-swatters.

I'd prefer to see her skate to more modern music and a natural use of the arms.

I also agree that the USFS is aggressively 'pushing' Emily because of name recognition. We're probably doomed to see even more of this because of the absence of Kwan and Cohen. I'm not sure that that will contribute towards the judges 'helping' Emily to win the US Championship, but I hope that is not the case if Emily doesn't skate well.

I'd much rather see the introverted Kimmie win the championship based on her SKATING talent than exuberant Emily win based on her sister's name.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi View Post
    Not a Emilyhater per se. But her so-called 'spunky' is really getting tiring. She is so unpolished and sloppy. Her jumps are heavy. As everybody else pointed out she's overhyped just because of her sister's name, it does annoy me from time to time. I hate her spiral sequence trying a Sasha thing, which is absolutely a horrible position.

I generally don't like 'muscular' type of female skater, she indeed needs to lose a few pounds.
    Anyway, she is just not my cup of tea.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast