Does Emily Hughes have a shot at the National Title? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Does Emily Hughes have a shot at the National Title?

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Does Emily have a shot?

I hate to say this but I don't think so unless Kimmie really messes up. I think the judges will want to give this championship to Kimmie. In my opinion, Kimmie is a great competitor but definitely not the most pleasing skater. She has yet to perform with any personality or musicality. I believe at 17 years old you either have it or not.

Emily has the personality on the ice and really skates like she loves it. Her failure to skate consistently is her downfall. I find myself smiling each time I watch Emily skate.

Dizzy

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
after her very good short program last night i would say yes, but i belive the jusges are going to give it to kimmie weather she desrves it or not. Also, kimmie has the deadly triple triple.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I also hope the judges/callers feel pressured after that controversial SP. They may be tougher on the 3-3's in the Free.

amateur

Final Flight
She has yet to perform with any personality or musicality. I believe at 17 years old you either have it or not.

Nah... I think you Americans have been spoiled by your Kwans and Lipinskis and Hughes and Cohens, who are exceptional cases (among others, for sure)... There are really quite a lot of skaters who mature style-wise in their late teens/early 20's.
Kimmie might never become the most musical or well-rounded skater out there, but she will continue to develop... 17 is young!

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree, I think Kimmie has definitely made an improvement but she still has a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go :yes:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Nah... I think you Americans have been spoiled by your Kwans and Lipinskis and Hughes and Cohens, who are exceptional cases (among others, for sure)... There are really quite a lot of skaters who mature style-wise in their late teens/early 20's.
Kimmie might never become the most musical or well-rounded skater out there, but she will continue to develop... 17 is young!

:agree: Yuka Sato (OK not an American but..) is one that I think of right away as growing / maturing in said manner. 17 is time to grow for some and others do not, but it is not a rule for sure that once they hit 17 they're as good as their going to get. I don't think Emily is on the same path as Sarah, there is a difference between their "mentalities."

At the very least I hope Emily is going to stick around in the world of FS for a long time to come.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
looooooooooooooooooooooooooong
I am surprised to hear that, I do think there is growth that is necessary / coming along, but wouldn't say it is a long way off. More right around the corner - she just needs to turn that corner. Maybe just another semantics thing. But she is almost there IMO.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rachel Flatt seems to have both good jumps and good musicality (for a 14 yr-old that is). If puberty doesn't kill her skating career I say watch out. She will only improve and I believe she'll be very good.

Jhar55

Medalist
I think the title is still up for grabs, they all skated great last night and if one goes out and does a splatfest for the long it's anyones game.