Thread: Kimmie Meissner to attend University of Delaware

Down With It

News Kimmie Meissner to attend University of Delaware

FYI

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...122800508.html

World champion figure skater Kimmie Meissner will enroll next fall at Delaware to study physical therapy.

[snip]

Meissner, 17, said she will likely take a part-time course load in the university's sports science program to start working toward a degree. She didn't know yet whether she would move from her family's home in Bel Air to Newark.

[snip]

Meissner is training for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, to be held Jan. 21-28 in Spokane, Wash. She finished second at nationals in 2006 to Sasha Cohen, who withdrew last week from the next month's competition.

I can think of Debbie Thomas, Tenley Albright and Paul Wylie who were able to handle University studies and figure skating at the same time

Anyone know of others?

Joe.

I think quite a few skaters from other countries manage it. I believe that both Shizuka Arakawa and Fumie Suguri are college graduates. Irina Slutskaya has some sort of degree, I think, but it might be sports related.

Didn't Matt Savoie graduate from college last year?

Go NJ Devils
    Matt Savoie received his master's degree last year -- urban planning, IIRC -- and his college degree before that.

And, of course, there was Dick Button and John Misha Petkovich, both Harvard students.

Custom Title

Kimmie Meissner to attend University of Delaware

Good for Kimmie!!! She couldn't have picked a better school continue her education. I am very happy she is staying in Delaware

Best of luck at the Nationals!!!!!!!

diamond

Great Teacher Oscilla
    Good for Kimmie!

Anyone know of others?
    Nearly all of the Japanese skaters are have attended/are attending/are planning to attend the University of their choice and some of them have in mind careers other than skating (Oda is planning to retire after the Olympics and become an English language teacher).

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondqueen View Post
    Good for Kimmie!!! She couldn't have picked a better school continue her education. I am very happy she is staying in Delaware

Best of luck at the Nationals!!!!!!!

diamond
    Right on, Kimmie!!!!!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I can think of Debbie Thomas, Tenley Albright and Paul Wylie who were able to handle University studies and figure skating at the same time

Anyone know of others?

Joe.
    Alissa !

I commend all the skaters who realize that their education should not stop with the high school diploma.

Juggling coursework with ice practice and competition is very difficult. Even when a skater does "reach the top" there is no guarantee of a lifetime income. A college degree in the very least will offer opportunities when the skating stops.

Kimmie, I applaud you, on and off the ice,

bugs are smarter than we are bronxgirl's Avatar
    What a wonderful role model Kimmie is becoming for the girls of America. All the best of luck to her, and rock on Kimmie!

College and skating

Amber Corwin graduated from USC Long Beach with a degree in fashion design/ marketing IIRC. I remember Peggy Fleming mentioning several times that Amber was designing her own costumes.

Derrick Delmore is a graduate of Stanford.

Maureen

Tripping on the Podium
    Good for Kimmie! I believe one can train and go to school at the same time. I wish her a lot of luck.

Tonia K (I can't begin to try and spell it without butchering it)