Kimmie Meissner to attend University of Delaware | Golden Skate

Kimmie Meissner to attend University of Delaware

R.D.

Record Breaker
FYI

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/28/AR2006122800508.html

World champion figure skater Kimmie Meissner will enroll next fall at Delaware to study physical therapy.

[snip]

Meissner, 17, said she will likely take a part-time course load in the university's sports science program to start working toward a degree. She didn't know yet whether she would move from her family's home in Bel Air to Newark.

[snip]

Meissner is training for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, to be held Jan. 21-28 in Spokane, Wash. She finished second at nationals in 2006 to Sasha Cohen, who withdrew last week from the next month's competition.

I can think of Debbie Thomas, Tenley Albright and Paul Wylie who were able to handle University studies and figure skating at the same time

Anyone know of others?

Joe.

I think quite a few skaters from other countries manage it. I believe that both Shizuka Arakawa and Fumie Suguri are college graduates. Irina Slutskaya has some sort of degree, I think, but it might be sports related.

Didn't Matt Savoie graduate from college last year?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Matt Savoie received his master's degree last year -- urban planning, IIRC -- and his college degree before that.

And, of course, there was Dick Button and John Misha Petkovich, both Harvard students.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Good for Kimmie!!! She couldn't have picked a better school continue her education. I am very happy she is staying in Delaware:rock:

Best of luck at the Nationals!!!!!!!

diamond

Oscilla

On the Ice
Good for Kimmie!

Anyone know of others?

Nearly all of the Japanese skaters are have attended/are attending/are planning to attend the University of their choice and some of them have in mind careers other than skating (Oda is planning to retire after the Olympics and become an English language teacher).

orchid

On the Ice
I can think of Debbie Thomas, Tenley Albright and Paul Wylie who were able to handle University studies and figure skating at the same time

Anyone know of others?

Joe.

Alissa !

I commend all the skaters who realize that their education should not stop with the high school diploma.

Juggling coursework with ice practice and competition is very difficult. Even when a skater does "reach the top" there is no guarantee of a lifetime income. A college degree in the very least will offer opportunities when the skating stops.

Kimmie, I applaud you, on and off the ice,

bronxgirl

Medalist
What a wonderful role model Kimmie is becoming for the girls of America. All the best of luck to her, and rock on Kimmie!:rock:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
College and skating

Amber Corwin graduated from USC Long Beach with a degree in fashion design/ marketing IIRC. I remember Peggy Fleming mentioning several times that Amber was designing her own costumes.

Derrick Delmore is a graduate of Stanford.

Maureen

Angelluv

Rinkside
Good for Kimmie! I believe one can train and go to school at the same time. I wish her a lot of luck. :thumbsup: