Shen&Zhao's 3t+3t+SEQ and related questions | Golden Skate

Shen&Zhao's 3t+3t+SEQ and related questions

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Haobo Zhao updated their blog. He mentioned they are starting to prepare for Asian Winter Games. The goal is to break 206 points, their personal best. In order to do so, they are now starting to practice 3T+3T+SEQ and will likely use it to replace 3T+2T when it becomes consistent. Haobo tore his archilles' tendon last year while practicing this element.

So here's the question regarding the rules of sbs jumps in pairs. We know in 2005, ISU changed the rule, but I am still very confused. Obviously, because of the new rule, it's illegal for Shen&Zhao to do their previous 2A+3T+SEQ and a second solo 3T. I read some comments on Chinese fans' discussion forum. They were very furious about this. They considered this rule was used to target at Shen&Zhao in Olympic year. They believed Haobo's injury was directly linked to this new rule.

Let's put politics aside. Can somebody explain to me why 2A+3T+SEQ and a second 3T or a second 2A is legal in singles but illegal in pairs? What's the reason behind this?

I understand the 'official spirits' of this new rule in pairs was to encourage pairs to do 2 different triples in order to get high marks. But It doesn't make any sense to me they adopt different rules in singles.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
From ISU Communication No 1319 for Singles and Pairs (this concerning Pairs)

Solo jumps, jump combinations and jump sequences In case of unequal number of revolutions of the partners in a jump performed as a solo jump or part of a combination or a sequence, this jump will be called as a jump with lesser amount of revolutions executed by the partners. All jumps executed with more than 2 revolutions (Double Axel and all triple and quadruple jumps) must be of different nature (different name), However the jump combination or sequence can include two same such jumps."

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-168609-185827-89562-0-file,00.pdf

indicatoto101

On the Ice
Let's put politics aside. Can somebody explain to me why 2A+3T+SEQ and a second 3T or a second 2A is legal in singles but illegal in pairs? What's the reason behind this?

I understand the 'official spirits' of this new rule in pairs was to encourage pairs to do 2 different triples in order to get high marks. But It doesn't make any sense to me they adopt different rules in singles.

Is it legal? I thought skaters could only repeat a jump if they were in combination. Could it have worked if they switched their jumps around? Do the solo jump first, then the sequence?

mskater93

Record Breaker
No, pairs have different rules. Go to the link I posted and scroll down about 5 pages