SOI airing today (Sat) ABC 5PM EST | Golden Skate

SOI airing today (Sat) ABC 5PM EST

heyang

Record Breaker
According to TiVo, it was taped in Lake Placid 2006. So, it should be the most current tour promo.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
It starts at 2 p.m. in California.

I wonder why it is being shown on ABC -- I thought that it was connected in some way to NBC.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Thanks for the reminder - just turned it on about 10 minutes into it....interesting so far....Katarina Witt is skating.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Oh, gosh I feel kinda bad that I didn't inform that it was on at 3pm MST (Denver) but then again I still don't think there is anyone on here that is from this area at least that I know of.

Oh and they hit the Denver portion of the tour on 1/31/07

Last edited:

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Okay - watched the rest of it...who is it exactly that thinks showing old Roz Sumners numbers in a cowboy get-up is going to attract new audiences to actually go to a SOI show?

Although David Sale (Oops! I mean Pelletier, LOL!) is great on camera off-the-ice, more mugging from him please.:rock:

Last edited:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Although David Sale is great on camera off-the-ice, more mugging from him please

Actually, his name is David Pelletier (his wife's name is Jamie Salé) but I agree that he's great in interviews and in being goofy in front of a camera. :clap:

I enjoyed the SOI promo show today and I think it did a great job at giving us sneak peaks at the upcoming tour. The reason Roz was randomly shown is because Kristi was counting down her five favorite performances over the years and that was one of them. She wasn't counting down the fans' fave performances, they were her personal choices so I had no problem with her selections. I'm seeing the show in Columbus, Cincinnati, and Cleveland this year and I'm very excited about it. That sixties group number looks like a total trip! :yes:

Jhar55

Medalist
Watched it was going to recored it but my dvd was wrong type. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be, so at least I didn't waste a good dvd.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I thought that show was LAME. I wanted to see more actual skating. Roz Sumners doing some bad cowgirl dance? In Stirrup pants? Didn't need to see that. Kristi naming one of her own programs as one of her top 5 favorite SOI programs? Way to be modest. I don't even think that was one of her better routines. I can't wait to go to see the show in person in March and see some real skating.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I thought that show was LAME. I wanted to see more actual skating. Roz Sumners doing some bad cowgirl dance? In Stirrup pants? Didn't need to see that. Kristi naming one of her own programs as one of her top 5 favorite SOI programs? Way to be modest....

And just because these were "Kristi's" picks I wouldn't for a minute think that anyone other than IMG makes the real call on who gets broadcasted.
Thought the portions of the current stars talking, goofing around, showing them racing cars, etc. was great - and the snippets of this year's performances looked good.
But once again...year after year....you get the feeling that most of the charisma (i.e. Yagudin was almost completely absent) got left on the cutting room floor.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
There's nothing wrong with Kristi's picks. They had personal meaning to her, which she tried to explain. Sheesh - she had 10 years worth of SOI as a regular cast member and 2(?) years as a special guest. It wouldn't be surprising for her to 'forget' one of our favorites.

I am somewhat surprised that she left out Kurt's Brick House.

Kelly22

Rinkside
The show was appallingly bad. I get that the numbers were Kristi's personal favorites, but, really... Roz Summers, Katerina Witt? How can they be so stupid? This promo show will do nothing to p perk up SOI attendance - probably the opposite. It really makes me angry because there are still some great, great skaters in this show and they deserve better promotion.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We taped this one since we were away for a few days, so we haven't seen it yet. I wish TPTB would go back to airing most of the show the way they did back in 2003 on A&E, even if this would mean airing it later in the tour or after the tour. I feel that the current cast has just not been getting its due during these "sneak preview" shows. We've been attending SOI since 1993, and have always enjoyed the cast members, but they need to focus more on the present.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
On the show broadcast, I didn't think the video quality was all that good. Color balance ect... But I even enjoyed Roz's.

On the tour, Two of my friends yesterday expressed interest as one for sure will go with me - as long as I drive or arrange bus schedule. We were at the bar and the Rose Bowl was on most of the TVs and one of them was off. So I asked the bartender to put on Brian's show - which worked out at the time we got there with half time - and a majority of people there were getting into it and were watching Jamie and David even as the game came back underway.

And don't underestimate the power of Jamie's beauty, the guys were "fawning" for sure. I don't think her short hair effected her "attractiveness" to anyone at that bar anyway. The only negative comments I heard (regarding BBSS) were the beginning of Mike's routine - just the beginning) and when Brian laid down on the ice. But I think it sparked some interest with a number of people there. Asking questions and confirming when SOI was going to be in town - where the rinks are around town. And of course "Is Jamie going to be at SOI?":laugh:

Anyway, the BBSS created some interest in SOI coming by playing it during the Rose Bowl Half time in particular, and I 'spose me being there to tell people of the coming SOI.

OT -- Toni, I just noticed that the picture of the moose is your own work. Wow! Was this an official commission, or did one just happen to show up in your back yard one day? :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But once again...year after year....you get the feeling that most of the charisma (i.e. Yagudin was almost completely absent) got left on the cutting room floor.
Kathleen, you got that right........and since they aren't coming to Omaha......I refused to even turn it on.........:laugh: :laugh: actually, I forgot about it. I noticed that the show at least in my area was only 1 hour long.

Dee

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I just watched my tape of the special -- it had Kimmie skating as an SOI "special guest". She is also listed on the COI website -- does anyone know when COI skaters were allowed to appear on SOI also? I thought that there had to be a year wait when switching shows -- at least Weiss and Hughes were off of COI for a tour before appearing on SOI.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't COI recently sold to Anschutz Entertainment? Maybe the ground rules are different now.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Wasn't COI recently sold to Anschutz Entertainment? Maybe the ground rules are different now.

Yes it was, and IMO those rule should be changed. Some of the rule regarding who can do what sometimes have no interest for the skater or the fan, making it an advantage only for the "biz." If COI and SOI work more to gather to gain interest for both there would be more interest for both.I hope that is something that has changed:agree: I also hope that it will change that ISU events and such are "advertised" at these events as well. Work together. Do they really think that spectators are so ignorant that if you promote a ISU event during a COI that people will really confuse the two as both being ISU competitions?