Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert Leaves Me Cold

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

Brian Joubert Leaves Me Cold

Okay his long program - thanks to Kurt Browning was much better than his short. Usually Brian Joubert leaves me cold when it comes to watching his programs. He does not connect to the music and his costumes drive me nuts. I was prepared not to like his long program after seeing his short - the 007 theme, but have to say Kurt did a great job in choreography. I am not a big Brian Joubert fan, but he did have a good skate at the Grand Prix final.

Custom Title
    He sure does jump a lot, but imho, he lacks in the 'artistry' department.
    A survey of some ladies here at my rink says he's 'too pretty'....make of that what you will.

Custom Title
    I think Brian lacks the charisma of a Plushenko or a Lambiel. But that is just my opinion.

I think he's a sweetheart!

Custom Title
    Somehow I thought the thread title said: Brian Joubert leaves McCleod, and I was like -- HUH???? Ok, now I get it.

He's not my favorite, but I so love watching him this season - he is just on and skating well. He doesn't have the charism of say, Plushy or Yags - but perhaps with some confidence he will learn to project it? If not, just skating clean, landing his jumps and continuing to improve his spins is good enough for me. And, I hope it continues like this. How amazing would Worlds be if he were spot on, Takaheshi were spot on, Oda - on, Lambiel not injured and on, Buttle not injured and on and dare I even mention the Americans??? That would be fun.

Custom Title
    He's a great ice jumper but, this is figure skating. And I know it's not his fault but, his PCS are so inflated it makes me not want to even watch skating anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think he's a sweetheart!

He has the look, but crying in a "Nemo / Matrix" outfit is not going to help his "tough side" any. Keanu (sp) didn't cry in that movie did he??? Anyhoo, I can understand - I get teary pretty easy too - but "sweatheart" does fit nicely.

I do however think "I do get him" what I have seen this year anyway (LPs only) - he has talent and Kurt's choreography and music choice really rocked (that outfit??? so close to cool!). He does seem a bit conceded, but hey, can you blame him? Young, most of his countries ladies are hot for him, and every time he is in a comp the obligatory "shirt off shot" backstage. You get that much petting and it is bound to go to your head. Didn't the guy date Miss. France or something like that???

Personally, that many quads and fawning, that is when you care about what you want to.
    Last edited by SeaniBu; 12-30-2006 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    (that outfit??? so close to cool!).
    SO CLOSE!!! Just lose that half-cape wingy looking thing and he'll have it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    SO CLOSE!!! Just lose that half-cape wingy looking thing and he'll have it!
    I guess I have said that just to too many times? Sorry. But precisely The "tribal design" on the right arm was "wicked cool." It is as though 2 different people designed it. Jessie James gets one side and Christopher Lowell on the other.

Custom Title
    He's one of the manly men - I think he's just fine being who he is - and the sport needs him.

Banned
    He leaves me a bit cold too but he can get up and rotate those jumps and land all those difficult jumps securely. Sometimes that is all you need these days. I am not sure the same can be said of any of his current competitors, and I am talking all key jumps-including secure quads and triple axels in both short and long.

It's interesting. When he first arrived on the scene, I liked him. Then, when he seemed as if he'd gotten too big for his breeches, I wrote him off. Now that he seems so focused and determined, I'm back on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanzibar View Post
    He's one of the manly men - I think he's just fine being who he is - and the sport needs him.
    He looks that way, masculine, and I go for the new definition of "manly men" being as a good balance of "tough yet tender." It takes a man IMO to be in touch with both sides. But he still seems to be a sweetie. He does fit in there with someone like Kurt B, yet a little more "extrovertibly" tender. A guy I can picture in "photo shoots with puppies," and then roughing it up on the field with his buddies playing some Futball. But that is just me, ask a non follower of FS and they might have a completely different take. My Nephew's fiancee' for example thought he wasn't exactly manly in the typical sense, Handsome, but nothing that personified "manliness" to her anyway.

He's come a long way from 'total wooden' to a bareable artist. He's got three more Olys to improve at that pace to win in 2010. Let's see.

Joe

Custom Title
    It's nice that he's pushing the jump envelope. Artistically, the Japanese men, the Americans, the Canadians, and Lambiel have him beat.

He's also not as refined as those other skaters, either. He get sloppy sometimes, but he has a passion and power in his skating that is very nice and encouraging.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast