Which competitors let their head get to them too much? | Golden Skate

Which competitors let their head get to them too much?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm just piggybacking on another thread here. Whom do you think had everything, but would just let their head beat them. This isn't a bash thread, but merely an observation...

Men - Emanuel Sandhu - this guy has the goods to have become two-time Olympic champion, but his head tends to get to him when it's time to perform.

Johnny Weir - Yes, he is a multi-national champion, but he also lets his nerves get the better of him.

Scott Davis - He was a great short program skater

Ladies - Debi Thomas - She let that one mistake undo her whole program

Sasha Cohen - Although she started fighting a minute into her Olympic LP, she's another one who either was never able to focus, or would let one mistake be her undoing.

Maria Butyrskaya - I think she was nervous even during practice!

Josee Chouinard - I wish Josee had put it together more often. :cry:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alyssa, Bebe Liang, Nikodinov, Kostner (when skating at home) immediately come to mind. Actually surprisingly enough I find that Cohen holds it together a lot better after making a mistake than a lot of other skaters, who just completely unravel. Maybe because she's so used to it? :rofl:

emma

Record Breaker
I totally agree with Sandhu and Nikodinov, and both make me :cry:

I'm beginning to worry about Weir being a member of this group too. Sasha, I could never decide (when I've wondered about his in the past) but when I compare her to, say, Sandhu - I would say she is definitely NOT in this category.

I have to say that Rohene Ward likely fits here too, and that makes me sadder than sad (for him and for fans).

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This is interesting:agree:

Maria B, Johnny, and maybe Carolina - these were first to mind and 2 were in the first post so maybe for once I might be correct. I think Sasha in a different way then "nerves." More mind set before a comp. It can change during, but once the change occurs it is evident and has already had an impact. Miki???? I don't know for sure, but as Uncle Dick said, "must control her demons." I think she can / has, but that yoma keeps coming back. Don't know why.

OT but,I think if there is one who is unfazed by just about anything, it is Kimmie. I still think she might make a change or 2 to a pro if a competitor is not going to be there to threaten her, but as far as "fazed by" - she might be able to complete her pro if there was a fist fight in the stands during. If that focus is overboard or harmful?????? "speculation" but she might even be able to be hit with a opening door leaving a big bruise on her head but still go on.

Fossi

Final Flight
Angela Nikidonov. She was a beautiful skater but not really "mean" enough for competition.

Sasha Cohen. She let the hype get to her head and couldn't hold it together

Johnny. Total meltdown.

Sandhu. Male Cohen

Eeyora

Final Flight
Angela Nikodinov- Beautiful skater, capable of a clean program. onnce nerves impacted one jump. She would be too afraid to complete the rest.

Victoria Volchkova- she was capable of many programs as good as 2003 worlds.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
It's probably too early to say this, but Shawn Sawyer almost made it to this category. Shawn had a great debut at the Olympics and then just almost folded his tent at the Worlds. He is struggling with some of his jumps. This guy has loads of talent and is one of my favorite Canadian male skaters. I hope this new season is better for him and that he shows he can do it. He needs to - and maybe a few other skaters listed here too - take some lessons from Elvis Stojko (the most focussed skater to ever grace Canadian ice) on competiting and how to handle nerves.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm going to add Tonya Harding and Christopher Bowman to the list. Although both were viewed as the sports' bad (very bad) sheep, both had the makings of world and Olympic champions -- but deep down I don't think either of them believed enough in themselves to really go for it and win. Tonya certainly didn't -- had she skated the way she did, she would have been on the team regardless of the attack.

Lad, ITA about Shawn Sawyer. Perhaps he will find his footing before Canadian nationals begin.

Edited to add - Nancy Kerrigan (save for the 1994 Olympics)
Nicole Bobek

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Men: Sandhu (I don't even watch him anymore, because I know he'll fall, and it's so disappointing)

Women: Cohen, Czisny (if she could pull it together, she could be the next U.S. Champ)

gio

Medalist
Do you remember Anna Rechnio from Poland? In practice she could do all 5 triples cleanly, and also triple/triple combos. In competition she had meltdowns. What a pity!!! :cry: :cry:

Italian commentators on Eurosport call Elena Sokolova "the queen of practice".

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Sandhu is the worst one that comes to mind. Johnny Weir.

Sasha Cohen is another. In the same vein as Joannie Rochette, I think, who can have an inexplicable meltdown. Josee Chouinard was another. Angela Nikodinov.

In pairs how about Langlois and Archetto — these guys really should have been Canadian champs at some point, but never made it.

Funny I can think of a lot more ladies competitors than mens here.

flying camel

Medalist
I would have to say Jill Trenary, Caryn Kadavy, Alissia Czisny, BeBe, Nikodinov and Sasha. Although, Sasha was not a complete diaster, she made enough mistakes to keep her from being on top of the podium. Both Jill and Caryn both had at least one break out performance in their career, so maybe there is hope for Alissia and BeBe.:agree:

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Of course the first one who comes to mind is Sasha, as many have already stated. The good thing with her was that she never let one mistake ruin the rest of her program. She never fully fell apart.

Angela Nikodinov is the one who I think was a total disaster. She was such a gifted and beautiful skater but once a mistake was made, her entire program went to pot. I wonder if this is consistent behavior of one who is truly a perfectionist?

I wonder if Johnny Weir doesn't suffer from a similar problem?

Dizzy

mskater93

Record Breaker
Agreed on Rohene, but have also heard disturbing rumors he doesn't run his programs near enough to be consistent.

Helen88

Spectator
Yup - I agree with Sasha. She keeps getting these golden moments (aka the 2006 Olympics), and they seem to JUST slip away from her...

artsciboy

On the Ice
Butyrskaya. She managed to keep it together for a few competitions, but if she had her nerves/head in check more often, she would have had even more titles under her belt (with better performances). Anyone who has watched her in practice can tell you that she has amazing, consistent jumps (plus a few 3-3s here and there) - with smooth landings. Unfortunately, once the competition started, the stiff-knees would come out.