Using Statistics in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

Using Statistics in Figure Skating

It is well known by now that I do not buy total points from one comp to another for comparative purposes. However, I would be more forgiving if the average or mean of the total points for a year were calculated. Cheesefests and Country Nationals should be omitted.

So Mathman, if you have the time, 2005 and 2006 could be completed as to who aveaged the most points in 2005 and also in 2006. A running statistic could be done for 2007. I think it would be better than that World Standings garbage.

One drawback would be where to put the GPs? in which year?

Try it on Suguri, Slutskaya and Cohen and see what comes up? using GPs, Olys (where applicable) and Worlds.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Individual event statistics don't mean that much in themselves, because the judges vary, the performances vary, and the location in which the events occurred vary.

But a list of scores from different events over a period of time (say, a year) for a skater/team can indicate whether or not a skater/team is consistent and/or if they appear to be improving. It also helps to note any injuries or other circumstances during that period.

Here ya go!

2004/2995 season averages.

Suguri: 149.69 (3 competitions)
Slutskaya: 183.66 (4)
Cohen: 185.98 (1 event -- worlds)

2005/2006 season averages.

Suguri: 161.79 (4)
Cohen 179.92 (3)
Slutskaya 189.28 (4)

euterpe

Medalist
I hate averages, because they mean even less than individual event scores. At least if a skater got a low score because of injury or other legitimate reason, you can add that as a note.

Still, if you have a large enough sample, all that balances out in the end.

For instance in football they keep track of statistics like "which team has the most rushing yards per carry." The fact that these yards came against different defenses -- well, again, over the course of a season, that tends to average out.

The real problem with making anything out of figure skating statistics is that there are not enough events. Sasha's "average" in the 2004/05 season was based on a sample of size one.