Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sasha Cohen behaviour in past, is it true?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I checked for the prices here in Den. and the lower bowl range is 125 - 25 dollars. Interesting???? Maybe my ticket was not a Great deal but only a good one. But I will emphasize, by the end of the show I would have been happy if I payed 3 times the amount I did - even without Fumie, Kimmie, Shen/Zhao, etc...

Jasper

Final Flight
To me, her GBA and DROMP exhibition pieces were the only performances of hers I could really get into. Everything else = zzzzz.

I was watching her Olympic free from 2002 and she had this sort of fire and feistiness (sp?) that simply disappeared, I think, when she went to Tarasova. Then her competitive programs after that were a serious snoozefest. Swan Lake? R & J? GMAB.

What about her Malaguena? And her Dark Eyes? I really disagree, but hey that's your taste.

My favorite Sasha programs ever were 1) her LP to Nutcracker (just beautiful music and she always skated it pretty well), 2) her LP to Rachmaninov (much older but won her the biggest title of her career, the GPF over Slutskaya), and 3) her SP to Dark Eyes (I prefered when she did it in '04-'05 opposed to '05-'06).

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I think her Malaguena performance at Worlds '04 is the best I've ever seen her.

Artistically, Olympics '06 was her best long program performance.

~Z

gio

Medalist
The programs of Sasha that I liked most are Malaguena and R and J. Artistically R and J is her best program IMHO. I liked also Malaguena because the Spanish character fits her very well. She has that Latin temperament. :laugh: :love:
I like Sasha as an artist on ice, for her spins and spirals but I don't like her jumps very much.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Robin Wagner scares me... she seems way too controlling of any and all her skaters and freaks out when they go against her (Sarah deciding school was more important, Robin spoke rather harshly about the decision.

I don't remember that. What did she say?

Robin Wagner scares me... she seems way too controlling of any and all her skaters and freaks out when they go against her (Sarah deciding school was more important, Robin spoke rather harshly about the decision... Sasha leaving her was in Robin's idea the worst mistake in a long line of mistakes) I would NEVER want my child working with her.

If it is true, So What??

antmanb

Record Breaker
Well, I think the media and fans have made Sasha out to be the villian, whether she deserves it or not. I remember one season where we heard how Fumie was practicing a spin when Sasha "deliberately" began her I-spin and Fumie had to abort her spin. That same season at Worlds, Fumie was doing a run through to her LP when Michelle cut her off and Fumie had to stop. But Michelle apologozed after, so noone ran with Michelle being mean. I think it goes with the image: Michelle has always been seen as the nice girl, while Sasha is seen as headstrong or strongwilled.

Perhaps the image follows the reality - one of the skaters apologised for forcing a skater to abort an element, the other one didn't...seems pretty clear cut to me.

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Yes, she did. Being the uber Kwan fan that I am, I was watching for her to appear & that's what I saw... It was a bit strange, but I just assumed that it was normal... She wasn't in the way, she didn't step out of the shadows, she was just there... skating in these really fast circles near the gate and then jumped off the ice when the on-ice skater was finishing up. At the time I thought it was kinda cool to see her prepping... but now, I know it was a character flaw... ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

antmanb

Record Breaker
No, no, that was Sasha disguised as Michelle, trying to make Michelle look bad.

As for blowing her nose, my Miss Manners book says proper etiquette is to just stand there and drip on the ice until the other girl's performance is over -- then wipe your nose on her skirt.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys are cracking me up today!

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
I was just thinking the SAME THING

but we must remember that these are general venues and not specifically ice rinks. Still, I wonder how much effort it would take to do that in every arena on the COI tour?

A cheaper solution would be just to "section" off part of the rink for warmups and just put a curtain over it. And to fill arenas quicker they can just take out the seating in the section of the arena behind that curtain. Now there's a thought :think:

I can only speak for myself but i find watching skaters warm up to be the best part of watching live skating. My fvourite part of most competitions i've attended is the six minute warm up. You see elite level skaters breezing through high level moves in the field and really high speeds with beautiful control and flow. I sometimes miss what's going on on competition ice because high up in the stands i can see skaters stretching and doing dry land jumps and run throughs. I've never seen teh skaters warming up before shows and i don't know if it is disrespectful of them to warm up while someone is skating but i know that i love watching any aspects of a skaters warm up. A couple of seasons ago on Europort they had a small part of the screen dedicated to showing skaters warming up while others mark's were being read out or slow mo's were being shown. I loved it - watching the paris do dry land split triple twists and lifts was amazing. Seeing plushenk rotate a dry land trilpe axel was pretty cool too.

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't remember that. What did she say?

I don't have the article in front of me, but I can search around... IIRC it was just hw she said that it was a shame that Sarah had decided to 'give up on the dream' to persue other things. I think the tone, more than the words, were what got to me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
What about her Malaguena? And her Dark Eyes? I really disagree, but hey that's your taste.

I remember watching the 2004 Worlds short program and while a good number of people were foaming at the mouth at how great Cohen's SP was, I found myself just shrugging, wondering what was so breathtaking about it. I mean, it certainly was good, but I wasn't blown away by it. I guess it's the taste thing once again. Nothing wrong with that.

As for Dark eyes, I don't remember being blown away by her Olympic sp performance but it certainly was the best I've seen her do in a while. I'm not a fan of the music though.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I liked the pink dress in 05, I believe it was words and the song title is escaping me, da _____na na na na____ da na......... Harps....eek I can't remember the name of the tune. Of course I re-did the music to George Michael Freedom 90 so that might be the reason that is the only name coming to mind.

I won't let you down
I won't give you up
got to have some faith in the sound
It's the one good thing that I got
I won't let you down
so please don't give me up
'cause I would really like to stick around....

Fit better back then:laugh:

Last edited:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I don't have the article in front of me, but I can search around... IIRC it was just hw she said that it was a shame that Sarah had decided to 'give up on the dream' to persue other things. I think the tone, more than the words, were what got to me.

I remember that article... Robin is a bit special, isn't she??

I remember at the time saying "so that's why the Kwans treat coaches like the help!" and "No wonder her sister doesn't train with her."

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Give up on the dream"?? Sarah had won the OGM. What more was there?

I think Robin saw herself as Sarah's coach far into the future, with Sarah winning one US and World Championship after another, eclipsing Kwan and Cohen, with Robin sharing in the glory. Robin never grasped the reality: Sarah had won the OGM because she had the skate of her life when the other top skaters didn't skate well. Sarah herself seemed to know that she wasn't going to be able to reproduce that Olympic moment, so she backed off in the 2002-2003 season, then made a hasty exit from competitive figure skating.

Sarah gave up on Robin's dream, not her own.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

My favorite Sasha programs ever were 1) her LP to Nutcracker (just beautiful music and she always skated it pretty well), 2) her LP to Rachmaninov (much older but won her the biggest title of her career, the GPF over Slutskaya), and 3) her SP to Dark Eyes (I prefered when she did it in '04-'05 opposed to '05-'06).

Jasper, I agree with all that you said. I loved her swan lake program when she was with Tatianna. Matter of fact I got to see her to it at Skate Canada. Also, the outfit was gorgeous. TV could never pick up on the Intricacies of the beadwork on the costume. During her practice sessions she would get a standing ovation.

I am really missing her this season. I loved almost all of her programs except for the show ones. I am not a show person, I love competitions best.

When I see some of the ladies doing a spiral, I can't help think of hers.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sarah gave up on Robin's dream, not her own.

so true... and well put...

It still irks me when they find out Sarah won and Robin's yanking her to the floor, it was almost as if she was trying to make Sarah's more memorable than Tara's scream, Oksana's makeup waterfall, etc... it's a wonder Sarah didn't have to pull out of skating after a shoulder injury :laugh:

I liked the pink dress in 05, I believe it was words and the song title is escaping me, da _____na na na na____ da na......... Harps....

If I am remembering the same costume you are that was her LP to the Nutcracker.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nah, nothing sticks out in my mind better than that shriek of Tara's. And after just watching the 1998 Olympic freeskate on YT (haven't seen that in YEARS!) it just solidifies.

I don't think Sarah could care less, they both seemed very happy. Never got that vibe from Robin (she just seems more emotional than most coaches??) but after the split with Cohen she did seem a *little* bit bitter.

Fossi

Final Flight
With all due respect, let's not forget that the Olympic was not the first time Sarah beat both Michelle and Irina. She also beat them both at Skate Canada prior to the Olympics. Her win wasn't a fluke. Had Sarah shown at Worlds and skated well she could've very possibly beaten Michelle and Irina once again. Irina was majorly held up in the SP with those ridiculous 6.0's. But the only one at Worlds that yeat to do the 3/3 was Kwan in the QR. Irina was the first lady since '98 to win World without a 3/3 or a triple sequence even though she was supposedly known for her jumps and 3/3's at that point. IMO, Sarah could've beaten both Irina and Kwan easily at Worlds that year. Coulda, shoulda, didn't. Robin was a great coach. She was bitter about Sasha because of the way Sasha acted about practicing. I think she said as much in her interviews. I think Sarah grew up and grew apart from Robin.