Michelle Kwan, Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol Combination! | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan, Frank Carroll and Lori Nichol Combination!

christinaskater

Medalist
I think this group is the most powerful team ever assembled! I mean, the legacy of Kwan was at it's peak in this era! From Salome, romanza, Lyra Angelica, Rach, The Red Violin, East of Eden, Song of the BLack Swan coming into my minds view, i am so happy having witnessed her! They had countless masterpieces! AMAZING indeed!

I think it was somewhat wrong for Michelle to leave them during the Olympic season and go solo, got choreography from Sarah Kawahara and be coachless! Had she not left the same camp i believe she would've won the Olympic Gold because the she was just alone handline all the pressure of Olympic ice which is truly the slipperiest of all! Her intentions for leaving Frank and Lori may probably be one of the reasons we'll never know, but we respect her nevertheless for all her decisions and actions! I've been watching the youtube.com programs and it reminded me of the glorious era and combination they had! Sometimes, i can't help but dream what could have happened had she not gone solo during the Olympic year (olympic gold)!

I mean her credentials speak for herself! For me the greatest figure skater ever! 5 World Championships and 9 US titles and 2 Olympic Medals! Awesome! The queen of 6.0's , she will be a legacy and one of the most loved sport legends in history!

I wish after her hip surgery and repair she can still comeback stronger and better than ever! Knowing her, i am hopefully looking foreward to many more years of amazing skating and watching her! With Yu-Na, Miki and Mao in the picture this year, i can't help but miss her dearly cause i never knew figure skating ti'll i saw Michelle Kwan and how she captured every inch of me with her beautiful skating! I love you Michelle! God bless always!

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree that they were a magnificent team together, and no doubt gave us many wonderful performances to enjoy for years and years to come.
I can't, however, say it was wrong for Michelle to break with them. It's very easy for us to say that she would have fared better if she would have stayed with them, but there is simply no way for us to know that. We have no idea what was in her mind at that time, or how she would have handled staying with them, if that was really not what she wanted. We just have to trust she did what she thought best at the time. After all, any consequences from this decision happened to her, not us.

krenseby

Final Flight
I think this group is the most powerful team ever assembled! I mean, the legacy of Kwan was at it's peak in this era! From Salome, romanza, Lyra Angelica, Rach, The Red Violin, East of Eden, Song of the BLack Swan coming into my minds view, i am so happy having witnessed her! They had countless masterpieces! AMAZING indeed!

I think it was somewhat wrong for Michelle to leave them during the Olympic season and go solo, got choreography from Sarah Kawahara and be coachless! Had she not left the same camp i believe she would've won the Olympic Gold because the she was just alone handline all the pressure of Olympic ice which is truly the slipperiest of all! Her intentions for leaving Frank and Lori may probably be one of the reasons we'll never know, but we respect her nevertheless for all her decisions and actions! I've been watching the youtube.com programs and it reminded me of the glorious era and combination they had! Sometimes, i can't help but dream what could have happened had she not gone solo during the Olympic year (olympic gold)!

I mean her credentials speak for herself! For me the greatest figure skater ever! 5 World Championships and 9 US titles and 2 Olympic Medals! Awesome! The queen of 6.0's , she will be a legacy and one of the most loved sport legends in history!

I wish after her hip surgery and repair she can still comeback stronger and better than ever! Knowing her, i am hopefully looking foreward to many more years of amazing skating and watching her! With Yu-Na, Miki and Mao in the picture this year, i can't help but miss her dearly cause i never knew figure skating ti'll i saw Michelle Kwan and how she captured every inch of me with her beautiful skating! I love you Michelle! God bless always!

As much credit as should be given to Frank Carroll for coaching Michelle Kwan, I think that other coaches could have also helped her develop into a great skater.

A coach can only help a skater that's already motivated and talented. A motivated and talented skater can probably stand benefit from the instruction of many different coaches.

christinaskater

Medalist
Yes, i definitely agree, but going coachless during an Olympic year with all the pressures of the games with no one there to motivate you like a great coach seems suicidal and erroneous for a lot of people, maybe during the nationals she was able to handle the tremendous pressure alone but in the Olympics, after winning the SProgram (one tends to loose momentum because one feels he or she has won it, and the pressure becomes so much higher heading to the free program), MK, for me really needed someone like Frank. I mean i must agree that in the end it's her that's going to do it, sometimes creative difference can make a skater feel bad and unmotivated like what is being rumored that she would have skated to "Moonlight Sonata" but she didn't like that piece, off course if you are a top skater and you don't feel like skating to something you can't give it all. It's her destiny alright and she is so amazing nevertheless because of what she has done in her golden career!

But going to Scott Williams was OK, i think she didn't achieve what she wanted to do with Rafael Artunian, wish she sticked with Scott and Nikoli instead.

But again, sorry to everyone, we cannot impose anything on her and we cannot say she is wrong, again i respect her decisions just simple what if's!

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
To set the record straight -- MK left Lori Nichols and had Sarah Kawahara choreograph her program months before she split with Frank.

It is unknown what might have happened if (a) MK had stayed with both; (b) MK just stayed with Frank; or (c) MK had gone to another coach, instead of being coachless. It is as fruitful a field for speculation as (a) what might have happened if MK had been healthy in 2006 or (b) what might have happened if Irian had placed 1st in the SP in SLC (since being behind in the SP has a tendency to bring out the best in MK -- think Worlds in '97, '00, and '01, as well as both Nats and Worlds in '04)

hyoo

Rinkside
Don't quote me on this because I did not personally get memoed by Michelle, but .....

I trained at the rink Michelle trained and saw some of the arguements between Danny and Frank.... Danny was a great skating dad, but he liked to be involved. Maybe it was too much tension??

Who knows for sure?