Eltamina, music question | Golden Skate

Eltamina, music question

M

mathman444

Eltamina, music question

What classical work (is it a string quartet?) was the song "This is my Beloved," from Kismet, adapted? (I know that "Stranger in Paradise" is from Prince Igor.)

Thanks.

MM

E

eltamina

Re: Eltamina, music question

Sorry, I am not familiar with 'This is my beloved" , I will try to find a sound sample.

Could it be Alexander Borodin's quaretet?
scroll to track #4
www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1084446

BTW, I highly recommend the Borodin and Smetana quartets.

www.towerrecords.com/prod...id=1069245
This is a bargain fro $9.99, I paid about $17 for this same cd/ recording a few years ago.

About the Oistrakh conducting and performing the Mozart v ctos on EMI lable. I too bought those cds. He died in 1974 of a heart attack in the middle of a concert tour. I think he died in his prime. Oistrakh never lost his soulful tone, technique, his love for the music, and his tremendous mental strength. I won't say he was past his prime. I would say Oistrakh tended to romanticized baroque and classical, so some purist like Nathan Milstein may not like that. BTW. Milstein and Oistrakh were good friends.

It is an interesting observation that some artists can maintain their technical skills for a long time and some lose them relatively soon. Menuhin who was at least 6 years younger than Oistrakh peaked in the mid 1930s t0 late 1940s. Milstein who was abotu 4 - 6 years older than Oistrakh performed into his 80s.

Back to Oistrakh and his prime, in 1968, Oistrakh and Sviatoslav Richter recorded the Franck sonata in Paris (harmonia Munde label), and Moscow (BMG label) within 2 weeks. Both recordings were immortal performances. I bought the BMG, and I am waiting for HM to reissue the Paris performance. Anyway Oistrakh was only 4 years younger than the Mozart v ctos recordings.

So you bought the Brahms v cto and Mozart sinfonia concertante? Let me know if you like them or not.:)

4dogknight

Mathman, I know you directed your question to Eltamina but I do know the answer because And This Is My Beloved is one of my favorite songs. And I really don't know why pairs haven't used it in an exhibition program. The lyrics bring tears to my eyes and the music gives me gooseflesh - it's so passionate.

You are correct, it based on the Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor by Borodin. Actually all of the songs were based on music by Borodin, per the link below.

us.imdb.com/Soundtracks?0048260

In all of the reviews for Kismet, only Stranger In Paradise, Baubles, Bangles and Beads, and And This is My Beloved are songs that are reviewed favorably or at all.

I've used Stranger In Paradise as a competition and exhibition synchronized swimming mixed duet routine with great success. On the water show circuit, audiences always responded well to And This Is My Beloved as a mixed duet.

4dk

M

Mathman3

Thanks Eltamina and 4DogKnight. I have so much music to listen to, I don't think I'll ever catch up.

4Dog, I think I'll get the Kismet soundtrack and the Polovstian dances and research this further.

BTW, I love your new custom signature, "the Thread Killer." :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: That's how I feel when I come on with something about mathematics. I will now make it my personal quest always to post something after you.:lol:

Mathman

4dogknight

Gee, I didn't think anyone noticed the Thread Killer shtik. I did that in a fit of pique when I received no comments to a post I took quite some time to craft.

For many years I was a technical writer - writing end user procedure manuals. You know what I mean: 1. Enter your xxx user id. 2. Enter your 5 character pass word. 3. Press Enter. Etc, etc. ad infinitum. However when I trained the procedures, I was always careful to leave everything, well almost everything, open ended. Now that I'm retired, I'm working on getting my writing open ended.

I know I don't like it when people pontificate, hence my Kolfi Annan quote, so if you notice I'm doing it, I give you permission to make me stand in a cyber corner.

4dk

E

eltamina

Music homework

4DK, thanks for the information. :)

MM, I can do music listening homework 24 X 7 X 365, if I don't have to work for a living. I just received a small shipment today, and I am listening to Fumie's exhibition program right now.

www.amazon.com/exec/obido...70-2932906

BTW, I found the Kismet soundtrack

www.towerrecords.com/prod...804&cc=USD

This is my beloved is extracted from the 3rd movement nocturne of Borodin's quartet #2. This movement has often been performed as a solo piece w/o the other 2 movements, they usually call it serenade. It is kinda like the Adagio for strings extraction from Barber's quartet.

More notes on the Smetana's quartet with the title "My Life" It is one of the most moving piece of chamber music ever written. Smetana composed that at the brink of deafness (cause by tertiary neuro syphilis). It is a very self revelationary piece, moving and touching.