Weir/Lysacek - any news? | Golden Skate

Weir/Lysacek - any news?

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Have they recovered from their injuries? Just interesting with approaching Nats and no information at all... I start worrying....

ae9177

On the Ice
Weir was back on ice one week after GPF, so he should be fine. There's no update on Lysacek's injury yet, which made me worry, men's event will not be exciting at all with his absence. Wish him a speedy recovery, if he could get in top shape, this should be his time to win the title. Go Evan!

Snowgirl

On the Ice
Great for Johnny. Hope he will be in better condition than both times in Russia.
It's a pity there is no info about Evan... Hope he'll be well soon.

Thanks Motrin and welcome to GS.

Apparently, that was a nasty fall. he took, and the remedy is to be off skates much too long. I think Nats will not be a problem for the podium, but I suspect he was counting on winning his first. Hope he does well and can get back in shape for Worlds.

Jod

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I just don't understand from this journal entry, he resumed training 2 weeks after the injury, or he hopes to resume two weeks after the date of the entry (counting from January 2). English is not my native language and I have constant problem with tenses... Please help!

ae9177

On the Ice
He resumed training (I don't think he's able to be back on ice yet) 2 weeks after the injury, which is very courageous, but I'm still a little concerned about his physical condition because the injury is obviously pretty severe and doctors' advice was 4-6 weeks off completely. Hopefully he won't push himself too hard, coz we all know he's such a great fighter. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Evan, wish him all the best! I'm rooting for him to win his first national champion this year.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's not like he couldn't get a bye to worlds, he's proven himself this season, and has 2 world bronzes already... I wish he'd look into that option and follow drs. advice. I know this was likely to be his year to win Nationals, but at what expense?

waxel

Final Flight
I think Evan has certainly earned a bye to Worlds ... but I sure hope he skated at Nats ... I'm looking forward to a Johnny-Evan show down ... and also hoping for some surprises from up-and-comers.

janka

Rinkside
Frankly, I can't imagine the nats if one of them should be out. That's really the competition I am looking forward to this season, besides the worlds, anything can happen, they both have a shot at gold. Only I would prefer to see both in a good shape without injuries not being recovered from.
They are both wanting the title so I guess they will show up no matter if they are fully recovered or not.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
does Johnny really *want* the title as much as he has in the past? he doesn't seem to have the joy of skating this year

ae9177

On the Ice
yes, I'm sure Johnny wants Nats title more than the world medal. and he did mention in previous interview that he'll put the quad in his program so that he can 'edge Lysacek out'. we'll see if he can execute it or not.

physically, he should have a better chance to do the quad than Evan since his injury doesn't sound to be that bad, but mentally Evan is a tougher competitor, and typically he can deliver great performances with the adversities. so the showdown between the two will be very interesting.

janka

Rinkside
I also think that the national title is more impotant to Weir than the worlds one(well, maybe besides the gold, but I don't think he has a shot at worlds gold anyway:). Especially since it would be the fourth in line and somehow I guess the pressure on him not to loose it is bigger than in past years beacause he has already prooved three times he is able to get it and not let it slip away . Lysacek is better than him in international competitions but Weir still has the national title to hold on to. Also I understand that outscoring Johnny outside US makes Lysacek want the title more, cause he knows he can do it and just needs to beat Johnny this one more time, and that's the title he has never had.
Well, we'll see.

momjudi

On the Ice
I believe the national title is more important to Johnny then any international title. Don't forget that Johnny always peaks at Nationals so it should be interesting to see what happens this year. Evan may have a slight advantage as he is doing the same long program he did last year whereas Johnny had to learn two new programs in one month time.

janka

Rinkside
Well, up till now it's a litlle more than a month time Weir had to learn his programs, but I agree that an old routine is an advantage over completely new routine (and completly new style, btw).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny could scrap his new long for an older program that he knows well and that he knows the crowd and judges accept and like

I don't believe it's Johnny's programs that are bothering him. He is an excellent skater. He's got to shake off the personal demon that is bothering him.

Joe