New Associate Executive Director for US Figure Skating | Golden Skate

New Associate Executive Director for US Figure Skating

R.D.

Record Breaker
FYI

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=37096

U.S. Figure Skating is pleased to announce the hiring of James J. (Jim) Fox as associate executive director. Fox has extensive background in the Olympic movement as the former director of broadcast marketing for the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and executive director of USA Boxing and USA Weightlifting.

Fox most recently worked as the director of sponsorship and licensing for the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association (PRCA). He will begin his position with U.S. Figure Skating on Jan. 3.

“Jim will be a huge asset to this organization with his vast experience and his knowledge of the business of Olympic sports,” U.S. Figure Skating Executive Director David Raith said. “We are thrilled to have him on board and know he will embrace and contribute to figure skating and this new position with enthusiasm and aptitude.”

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Not that this important, but my Brother in Law, a Rodeo photographer, thinks rather highly of this guy.

Another point to having the home page of GS a good thing. Great / informitive / important info that doesn't always make it to the forum.

Jhar55

Medalist
I am I missing something?
What does boxing, weight lifting and the rodeo have to do with figure skating?

I think they are going for expertise in sports marketing. The current CEO also has a background in television rather than in figure skating. I guess they figure that there are plenty of people in the organization who know a lot about skating, but what they need is a more aggressive management and promotion team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ESPN/ABC contract with the USFS expires this spring. The USFS needs a strong TV marketing person to renegotiate that contract. This is a very important, maybe critical position!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think they are going for expertise in sports marketing. The current CEO also has a background in television rather than in figure skating. I guess they figure that there are plenty of people in the organization who know a lot about skating, but what they need is a more aggressive management and promotion team.

This is totally correct and while skating knowledge is important, the competitive edge the USFSA is missing is a true sports marketing professional if they plan to make figure skating a relevant sport to the general public vs. a performance activitiy focused on cute little girls in short skirts that gets mainstream attention every four years...

While many like to dismiss the idea of Michelle Kwan's departure a non-issue, the sport will need a drastic marketing makeover to ensure its future... sorta like the NBA after Michael Jordan's retirement.

Within sports marketing circles, Jim Fox has a stellar reputation and will be a great asset to the USFSA... provided he can stomach the politics & volunteer board.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The problem with some of these sports organizations is that they pick ONE athlete (usually a great one) to hype and basically get people to watch based on this ONE person. But when that person retires, suddenly there's no real star power. It happened to the NBA (now it's more well-rounded with lots more "good" players), and somewhat with MLB as well (the home run fest back in the late 90s). The only league I see that can draw fans regardless of players is the NFL. Every other sports league seems to depend on STARS one way or another.

Sometimes stars can replace other stars. But when there isn't one...

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sometimes stars can replace other stars. But when there isn't one...

:clap: :clap: :clap: GREAT POINT and I hope that is not being overlooked in the future. Picking one star to have so much emphasis on is asking for the longevity of the sport's popularity to be based on that persons "term." That and doing the same thing but expecting to gain a different result are the 2 worst things I can think of them doing.:yes: