Yu-na Injures Her Back, Expected to Recover in a Month | Golden Skate

Yu-na Injures Her Back, Expected to Recover in a Month

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/Engnews/20070103/670000000020070103150945EP.html

The [South Korean Asian Winter Games team] is also to include up-and-coming figure skater Kim Yu-na, who had jumped to the top of women's figure skating with two gold medals in recent international competitions. However, Kim reportedly injured her back during an exercise on Tuesday.

And it's reported on FSU that she will miss Korean Nationals and maybe the Asian winter games. I'm not 100% sure whether that means she will miss worlds or not, but people are talking as if she'll go, so...???

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently missing Korean Nationals may mean she can't go to Worlds.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
She may have already have a "bye" to Worlds just by being the Grand Prix champion. She is by far the one to beat in Tokyo.

How could they not send her?

rain

Record Breaker
Her back was injured already at the GPF, you could see it was wrapped in the LP. I hope this doesn't mean she's in for a chronic injury. If it's supposed to heal in a month, there's plenty of time for her to be back on top of her game before Worlds. And really, who else is her country going to send? They'd have to be complete morons not to send her, even if she isn't fully recovered. Even with a subpar performance she's still the only Korean skater who even has a ghost of a chance at a decent placement.

Jasper

Final Flight
Good luck, Yu-Na! With Fumie shockingly not going to Worlds, I really hope you win. I'm pulling for you and Ando above Asada and Meissner who don't understand music yet.

rjulie510

Rinkside
Korean medias also said that Korean federation has power to name Yu-Na Kim to the world team even though she will miss Nationals.

bekalc

Record Breaker
If the Korean federation is concerned about fairness, they could always announce that if the national champion puts up a total score that equals (or is close to an average of Yu-Na's scores this season) than they will send the national champ. (Or Yu-Na's best score.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu-Na has two herniated disks in her lower back, and she's had problems with this condition before.

Athletes are at risk for this injury because of the jumping and pounding their bodies take. What happens is the disks begin to swell and then develop a bulge (herniation) that makes them move out of position enough to press on the spinal nerve. When that happens, the pain can be very severe.

The condition can be handled with medication, rest, physical therapy and special exercises. With treatment, the discs become less swollen and the pain goes away.

However, because the athlete will continue to train, the likelihood of a recurrence is still there. The important thing is to treat the condition before it gets too bad, and not try to skate through the pain the way Yu-Na did at the GPF (and also during the GP this season).

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
That can't be good for her, though. That means she needs to train SMART rather than HARD. Knowing how much these kids want that Gold Medal, though, it's probably going to be one or two years at the top and that's it.

I'm positive Yu-na, with a non-meltdown performance will be on that World podium somewhere. With a clean, inspiring skate she can definitely win (unless Asada blows the roof off or something).

lutzskate

On the Ice
Yu-Na has two herniated disks in her lower back, and she's had problems with this condition before.

Athletes are at risk for this injury because of the jumping and pounding their bodies take. What happens is the disks begin to swell and then develop a bulge (herniation) that makes them move out of position enough to press on the spinal nerve. When that happens, the pain can be very severe.

Yes, it is extremely painful.

According to http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=figureskating&id=2718777

"Kim...collapsed at practice Tuesday from the pain" :frown:

I've experienced this injury, myself, and she'll be lucky if she can skate by the end of the month at the Asian games.

Thanks for the link, Lutzskate.

This is terrible news. She may not be back this season. :cry:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Jan. 4th Korean news article:
http://english.donga.com/srv/service.php3?biid=2007010487838
Excerpt:
Cho Seong-yeon, president of Sky Clinic and physician in charge of Kim, said, “She won’t have problems skating as long as proper care is taken.”

According to Dr. Cho, the disc between the fourth and fifth lumbar vertebrae of Kim’s waist is pushed back and touching her nerve. The disc between the fifth lumbar vertebrae and the first coccyx has also swelled up a little, and is just about to develop into a hernia. The doctor says that symptoms at this stage are curable by receiving two to four weeks of physiotherapy.

However, she can’t do regular training for a while. Even after recovery, continuous care is necessary.

Jan. 5th Japanese news article:
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070105/kyodo/d8mf2npg1.html
Excerpt:
The KSU [Korean Skating Union] is leaning toward allowing the 16-year-old to compete in the Tokyo meet but will make a final decision on Monday.
Kim will require about three to four weeks of treatment on her back but could be ready to perform at the March 20-24 meet at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The South Korean federation will likely give Yu-Na a bye to Worlds since she cannot compete at Nationals. The four weeks of rest and therapy will take her into early February, which still gives her six weeks to practice before Worlds. If she is careful about her practices and doesn't have another setback, she could be ready to go to Worlds..

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, I definitley agree with the above. I won't "count her out" for worlds just yet. But I want her to be competitive so she can beat Asada :rock: