Wow, what happened to Irina ? | Golden Skate

Wow, what happened to Irina ?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Watch this clip of Irina's performance at Japan Super Challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7oKSzobsdg

Wow, I can't believe my eyes. She's completely out of shape after staying out of amature skating for a short 9 months period. This is incredible. Anybody who thinks she can still compete is just daydreaming.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
??? Not sure what you are indicating, being performance or body. As far as I - or the announcers for that matter, seemed to REALLY like:love: - are concerned the "shape her body is in" is smoking as par Ira - and taking into consideration the meds she is on, or not on at current time - I think she looks ...... :love: It was a very "sexy" performance IMO. The bielmanns and sitspin, well... it is just an exhibition and not as impressive as some past. But the "shape" is .... I agree with the one comment poster on YouTube for that one.

Maybe I have Ira goggles on tonight:laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t think that she looks out of shape, but just the way she normally does. The skirt is perhaps not the best choice for her bodytype.

jennylovskt

Medalist
She had the best shape at 2006 Olympics. I am not surprised to see she is heavier now. Many skaters change shapes during off seasons. and went back to shape when they resumed training for the competitions. Her dress made her look even worse.

I actually liked the number she was doing. Do you think she was trying to say something about gypsies to Sasha's Dark Eyes?

For exhibition skating, she did very well.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The basic costume was not flattering. Irina seems to have put on a few pounds, but she was still able to do a few jumps. She did more than Sasha did in her Marshall's programs recently.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I only saw her do two...?

I happen to think she's in great shape. Not Olympic shape but great shape nontheless.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But Sasha did LOTS of posing in her WSS number. Irina used the whole surface of the ice and never stopped moving once she got going. Her performance was far more energetic than Sasha's, considering that Irina hasn't skated competitively since Torino, almost 11 months ago.

R.D.

Record Breaker
True. But in all honesty, what does it matter?
shrug.gif
they're probably not going to compete against each other again, anyway.

P.S. They looked like double axels to me (and looks like she singled the second). But of course, being the jump expert :laugh: that I am, I could be wrong.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

I happen to think she's in great shape. Not Olympic shape but great shape nontheless.

She did one simple 2A and popped another. Her speed is gone. Spins are slow-motion. If you think she can still compete like this, we are obviously not on the same planet.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

She did one simple 2A and popped another. Even Sasha did a 3Sal and 2A in her exhibiton program.

Her speed is gone. Spins are slow-motion. If you think she can still compete like this, we are obviously not on the same planet.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She did one simple 2A and popped another. Her speed is gone. Spins are slow-motion. If you think she can still compete like this, we are obviously not on the same planet.

Tell me where I said she'll compete again.

These comparisons to has-beens aren't really necessary IMO. They are only exhibitions, and I happened to like this number of Irina's. She shows a side of her that just isn't there in her competitive programs, IMO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

That is what I was wondering, what you meant, "shape or performance shape." Yep, not the best Ira for "tricks" but as far as entertainment or beauty, she is still a top lady IMO. But yah the sitspin and jumps not her best at all and looks like she took it "easy" - Bielmanns were snow cones. It seemed a little Maria, maybe just the scarf thing. But mostly it was a exhibition so....

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
That is what I was wondering, what you meant, "shape or performance shape." Yep, not the best Ira for "tricks" but as far as entertainment or beauty, she is still a top lady IMO. But yah the sitspin and jumps not her best at all and looks like she took it "easy" - Bielmanns were snow cones. It seemed a little Maria, maybe just the scarf thing. But mostly it was a exhibition so....

She's out of shape, that's the reason her jumps are gone, spins are awkward. She's not going to return. And if she keeps on gaining weight like this, she's only 5 meters away from Blu(OGM, can't remember her name), and I'm afraid to say even her pro career will come to an end pretty fast.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Isn't she taking medication for her condition, too? I'd ease up on her a bit here.

R.D.

Record Breaker
And if she keeps on gaining weight like this, she's only 5 meters away from Blu(OGM, can't remember her name),

Referring to Sarah Hughes, aren't ya? :rolleye:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Oh, so maybe Oksana Baiul?

She doesn't look that bad to me, though. She does do a lot of posing on the ice, though. (insert :love: and/or :laugh: here)

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Clarified, yes I understand. It does have an effect, but considering, I would not say to the point of "end of the world," for it is not that she is going out based on what is seen in that clip. Only speculation that, and is not as good. I think what RD said is critical in understanding the make up (moon prism power:laugh: make up) about the fact she has to fluctuate her meds and sometimes take it easier then others. And if it was an off night or she was just taking it easy, that is totally understandable. The crowd or the commentators not to mention - even though I am - most seem to see the gifted and wonderful to witness Ira.

It might be a sign of things to come or it might be she is "lightening up." Not as though her pro was packed with elements, so she must have known prior, "this is not the skate where I blow doors off but where I make my presents a fore factor." Yah IMO she is always a great even if the ONE pro says she is not going to the same level as before.

And for all the ones who say she is only tech or mostly - that is a pro that shows she has the crowd and music too. "Like a reed in the wind, not breaking but bending with the circumstances at hand."

Last edited: