Wow, what happened to Irina ? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Wow, what happened to Irina ?

Jasper

Final Flight
But will the extra weight allow her to maintain stamina and perform seven triples a program?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Better yet: will she NEED to do 7 triples in a program? If you're doing show skating you really don't need more than 3 (2, really, since you can slip in a 2A)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
As far as Irina having "sex appeal", I was gonna say something but I'd better not. Anyway, you can probably guess (hint: has to do with her name :rofl: and it's a non-cruel comment ;) )

I believe I know exactly what you are referring to. I have an acquaintance that said that a couple of times - first time I ignored him, the second I told him how ignorant that made him sound - and it is common in sounding out her name with english speaker I 'spose. Anyway, I don't think you are referring to "Irina" or "Eduardovna"...

I think most of it is that she just feels sexy. She acts sexy but cute at the same time. It is acutely a rare type of appeal I think she has. A lot of comparable but nothing like what she has. Then top it of with the being married thing and you really get the "forbidden fruit" thing going...It is JMO or speculation really, but it seems most guys I hear talk about her (you can always tell) or when they watch her...well... "lick their lips a lot.":laugh:

I get the feeling and would have to agree, you could have Eva Longroia standing in a tinny bikini in front of Ira skating in the background, And Ira would be looked at 90% of the time by most guys period (even though most would not go to an event), I would even ask her to have a seat, "Very nice Eva, but Ira's on." as I pat the chair next to me :biggrin: :laugh:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
But will the extra weight allow her to maintain stamina and perform seven triples a program?
I don't think she will have that hard of time loosing it either - also the "roids" dose will change or ...??), if she decides to come back Am comps, but...
will she NEED to do 7 triples in a program? If you're doing show skating you really don't need more than 3 (2, really, since you can slip in a 2A)
Exsactly.
:yes:

R.D.

Record Breaker
:rofl: omg, I love reading your comments sometimes. :laugh:

You typically don't find me thinking of figure skaters "in that way", although there are many skaters out there (most of them retired by now) that I found rather :love: :love: :love: can't really say that about skaters out there now, maybe a couple of the European skaters, but everyone else is either too young or too bleh.

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

I believe I know exactly what you are referring to. I have an acquaintance that said that a couple of times - first time I ignored him, the second I told him how ignorant that made him sound - and it is common in sounding out her name with english speaker I 'spose. Anyway, I don't think you are referring to "Irina" or "Eduardovna"...

I think most of it is that she just feels sexy. She acts sexy but cute at the same time. It is acutely a rare type of appeal I think she has. A lot of comparable but nothing like what she has. Then top it of with the being married thing and you really get the "forbidden fruit" thing going...It is JMO or speculation really, but it seems most guys I hear talk about her (you can always tell) or when they watch her...well... "lick their lips a lot.":laugh:

I get the feeling and would have to agree, you could have Eva Longroia standing in a tinny bikini in front of Ira skating in the background, And Ira would be looked at 90% of the time by most guys period (even though most would not go to an event), I would even ask her to have a seat, "Very nice Eva, but Ira's on." as I pat the chair next to me :biggrin: :laugh:

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Dick Button had a mini-crush on Irina at some point ;-) He loved her red cheeks and asked her if he could pinch them. And as he himself told the story, she said "Go ahead. All the old men want to do it." Not a direct quote but something like that. That's quite a cute and yet flirty statement.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
She isn't in competitive shape because she hasn't tried to get into competitive shape. Who is to say that she couldn't get back into shape? Considering all the Irina has overcome, it would be foolish to count her out, if she wasn't good and ready to be counted out. She's truly a champion. If she wanted to compete, she would fight for it. She might not win, but she would amaze. That's what champions do.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
I personally think she looks great. I love the longer hair. She looked like she was having some fun out there too. As long as she is healthy and happy then I am completely fine with whatever decision she decides to make in regards to her skating career.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
She isn't in competitive shape because she hasn't tried to get into competitive shape. Who is to say that she couldn't get back into shape? Considering all the Irina has overcome, it would be foolish to count her out, if she wasn't good and ready to be counted out. She's truly a champion. If she wanted to compete, she would fight for it. She might not win, but she would amaze. That's what champions do.

Now SusanBeth,

You've been around a long time... you know better than to add logic into a conversation that is all about calling someone a has been & fat... ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Obviously, I totally agree with you and I'm always amazed at fans who count any of the truly great out... but then, some people never learn...

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, but let me pose a question: how can you count someone out of the game when they're not even IN the game to begin with?? Irina is not competing, so how can anyone count her out??

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Yes, I do know better. Truly, I do. I promised myself that I would stop beating my head against a wall, but I just can't help myself! ;)

:banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging: :banging:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Yes, but let me pose a question: how can you count someone out of the game when they're not even IN the game to begin with?? Irina is not competing, so how can anyone count her out??

It's counting her out when it's implied that the choice is not hers to make and that she has been beaten before she begins. In other words, implying that she is a fat, used-up, has been and that she couldn't be competitive no matter how hard she tried is counting her out and dismissing her.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Well, if Irina wanted to return to competition, first she would have to take on the new Russian champion Ksenia Doronina and runner-up Aleksandra Yevleva.

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15129

Somebody commented she competed in JGP Taipei but lost to Caroline Zhang by 13 points in SP alone with a clean program.

I have no impression of her. Maybe I'll try to dig out some video clips. At least she can do some lutz and flip. Their silver medalist can only do three triples, sal, toe and loop.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
You've been around a long time... you know better than to add logic into a conversation that is all about calling someone a has been & fat... ;) :laugh: :laugh:

Well, if a look at how many have immediately rallied to "defend" Irina, it is rather heart warming to see. For the thread did start that way and by course of comments, wound up being completely complementary toward her in 80 - 90% of the posts.

My Mom also wanted to point out how quickly prednisone makes you dehydrated (thus also causing body issues) as well as shaky - in correlation to performing. But Mom said she wished it helped her gain weight and have an appetite - she commented that she always feels bloated but has to work hard at eating. Seems like once you start it you have to compensate for everything that it throws out-of-whack in your system.

I remember the story about Dick pinching her cheeks too. I love her comment, as if it left out a word:laugh:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Well, correct me if I am wrong, but I think Dick Button had a mini-crush on Irina at some point ;-) He loved her red cheeks and asked her if he could pinch them. And as he himself told the story, she said "Go ahead. All the old men want to do it." Not a direct quote but something like that. That's quite a cute and yet flirty statement.

I saw a later interview, where Dick Button asked her if she remembered that incident, and she said she didn't say that "all the old men want to pinch my cheeks", but just said that "all the men want" to do it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
It's counting her out when it's implied that the choice is not hers to make and that she has been beaten before she begins. In other words, implying that she is a fat, used-up, has been and that she couldn't be competitive no matter how hard she tried is counting her out and dismissing her.

I agree with the "dismissing her" part but IMO you can't count someone out unless they're in the running. Irina is not competing (fact) and I don't think she'll ever compete again (speculation). However, this doesn't mean that she can't get back into Olympic shape and compete again if she tries hard enough.

JMHO I suppose

76olympics

On the Ice
Dick Button pinched her cheeks AGAIN on "Olympic Ice." ( the cheeks on her face that is!!:rofl: ). Obviously, she still has "it"!

I will cede Irina a very wide leeway. She is NOT competing. She has been very ill and recovered sufficiently to compete at elite level. She has a bronze medal from the Olympics just last year. Enough said...

OT digression: Clara Bow, the silent movie star with the fleeting career, was widely advertised as the "It" girl as she starred in the film version of Elinor Glyn's novel about a girl with lots of "It" (i.e. sex appeal). Clara had to do many interviews publicizing the picture. A reporter asked her what "It" was. "I ain't really sure," she said.

Last edited:
OT digression: Clara Bow, the silent movie star with the fleeting career, was widely advertised as the "It" girl as she starred in the film version of Elinor Glyn's novel about a girl with lots of "It" (i.e. sex appeal). Clara had to do many interviews publicizing the picture. A reporter asked her what "It" was. "I ain't really sure," she said.
Your post made me look her up. Good heavens, what a terrible life she had.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Bow

"The more I see of men, the more I like dogs."