Is There Quad At Nationals This Time? | Golden Skate

Is There Quad At Nationals This Time?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Will anybody put quad in the program/programs at the Nationals this time?

I don't think so. As much as I hoped for, I don't think we will see it this time. Johnny's been afraid of putting quad in actual competitions for years and he hasn't overcome this fear yet.

Evan is a good fighter, but given the condition he has now, I think he will not put the quad in.

What about other skaters? I don't know.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
As far as I know, Scott Smith (4salchow), Shaun Rogers (4toe), and Stephen Carriere are the only U.S. senior guys who will be at 2007 Nationals to have attempted a quad in competition this season (Carriere landed a 4toe in his Liberty FS back in mid-July).

Ryan Bradley has landed 4toe at a previous Nationals (2002 free skate) and reportedly still attempts them in practice. Besides Lysacek and Weir, I have heard that Jeremy Abbott and Parker Pennington are practicing quads (and I'm sure other senior guys are as well), but don't know if any of them will actually attempt the quad in competition at Nationals. Derrick Delmore used to attempt the quad salchow, but not in recent years.

As I posted in the other thread, Tiffany Vise/Derek Trent have been attempting the throw quad salchow in competition this season and have landed it in practices (including at Skate America and Canada) -- it would be cool if they could land it in Spokane!

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
I personally don't think that we'll see a quad at nationals from anyone this year, but remember in 2001 when Sasha Cohen attempted the quadruple salchow in competition, she didn't land it but it was a darn good attempt.

This year I dont think that its going to happen with anyone in the top anyways, Shawn Rogers, Scott Smith (unless his coach decides to make it a triple again if he has a chance to medal) and Stephanne Carrier I think might do it, but I seriously doubt that they'll land it under that preassure, I hope that Johnny puts it in, I saw him do it in Practice at the olympics with three triples, a quad toe-triple toe-triple toe-triple loop combination! I wish that he could do that in competition! That would be awesome, but I don't think that its even legal is it?

But we'll see only the next two weeks will tell if we see a quad at nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think we will see attempts... maybe we'll end up with a two foot or two on a quad...

but I would be really surprised if Johnny or Evan tried one

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I think we will see attempts... maybe we'll end up with a two foot or two on a quad...

but I would be really surprised if Johnny or Evan tried one

I agree with this... personally, I'll be glad when the quad goes away or at least doesn't become the "be all to end all" it was originally hyped to be... I always giggle when commentators talk about how someone isn't going to be competitive without the quad (or 3axle for the ladies) but are proven wrong when the winner doesn't need it to win... I appreciate a great technical program (ala Joubert & Plushy) but most of these skaters can't complete them, so why even attempt them? (ala Buttle...)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnny finally does it on "his" turf where the pressure is less... particularly if Evan is not there.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I think Scott Smith will do one. Not sure about anyone else. I'm amazed at how wide open the men's comp is this year. So if any of the ones that have one think that they need it, we may see some.