Meissner prepares for national championships | Golden Skate

Meissner prepares for national championships

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/olympics/bal-meissner0104,0,1990371.story?coll=bal-sports-more

With Michelle Kwan off at college, the 17-year-old Meissner is the overwhelming favorite in the women's competition.

That doesn't mean she's taking it lightly.

"Every day, just hard core," Meissner said Thursday, describing her training routine under coach Pam Gregory.

[snip]

"[The triple axel is] an up and down jump for me, and I just don't know if the risk is really worth it at the nationals," said Meissner, who won the gold medal in March at the world championships in Calgary, Alberta. "There's so much other stuff in my program."

Gregory said the decision on a triple axel will be easy, based on how well her young charge does it in practice.

"We don't decide at the last minute," said Gregory, adding that she and Meissner don't want the performance to be based on one jump.

We'll see. Seems like she may decide to drop it after all. I agree that she really doesn't need it, esp. at Nationals where most of the others may struggle to land even 4 jumps.

A bonus article with a few pictures :agree:

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2007/jan/meissner010407.html

To me, Kimmie and her coach are saying as clearly as possible that the triple Axel is out.

BTW, GREAT picture of Kimmie at the top of the second article. I think USFS is lucky to have her as the new face of figure skating in the U.S. Her modest confidence and committment to community service are a big plus for the sport. :love:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I agree. That first picture of Kimmie is really nice. (didn't want to say anything until someone else did though :p )

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, it does not seem like they are including the triple axel, at least not for Nationals. I'm glad! Save your body Kimmie as long as you can. I wonder if she has made any changes to her program?

She may need the triple axel at Worlds depending on what order she skates so I believe she is leaving it out at Nationals so as not to risk a possible take over by Taylor. It still on the practice table, though.

None of the present US ladies including the junior Zhang have solid triples. Kimmie does. Kimmie has better than average spins. Only Czisny's can beat her. She has Lori's choreography. Is it better than Wilson's for Emily? Kimmie has uniform speed throughout her programs but not like Bebe's super speed.

Rachael Flatt is the unknown quantity here. Rachaeil's Sectionals were all about new boots.

On January 26th between 4 and 6 pm EST, we will know:

WHO IS THE NEW AMERICAN PRINCESS

Joe

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It may be starting up again with Kimmie. The only jump that seems to be in her way is the 3Axel, and that's the least necessary of all of them.

I think Kwan was a solid jumper, too...at least up to 2005.

chipso1

Rinkside
If Kimmie can stand up on her jumps, then this *should* be an easy win for her. Hypothetically, if all the top contenders were to skate clean ( a huge "if"), I believe Czisny would probably be the closest to Kimmie.

Even if Kimmie only does 5/6 triples, she should easily blow the field away.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Interesting ... Kimmie may play it safe and not include the 3A. A wise decision, IMO. I'm a bit surprised though, given her coach's comments a few months ago about not wanting Kimmie to be like Michelle and play it safe. Looks like Michelle may have been right after all. :eek:hwell:

LuckyBear

Rinkside
Sarah Hughes?

Flying Camel said -

"What happen to all our solid jumpers? Looks like it all ended with Sarah."

I assume you are talking about Sarah Hughes? She may have stayed on her feet, but the jump technique wasn't exactly "first rate". Some of those 3-3's may not have been ratified under COP or even some of her triples not in combination, but its a mute point now.

LuckyBear

Rinkside
My 1st post...

Huh, I have lurked here so long, I figured I must of at least posted a couple of times before now. Guess not.