Any Plushenko updates? | Golden Skate

Any Plushenko updates?

lutzskate

On the Ice
I apologize if this is a stupid question. I went to his web site, did a google search and everything, and I can't seem to find the answer. What is Plushenko doing now? Has he retired or is he doing something similar to what Sasha Cohen is doing now, and that is taking time off but not "retiring"? Is that what Irina is doing too or did she retire? Thanks for answering what may be a stupid question or questions.

Kasey

Medalist
Last I have heard, both Plushenko and Slutskaya are taking this season off from eligible events, but have not committed to retiring or not retiring yet...so I guess both are "in limbo" for the time being.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Plushenko is into politics since recently. He also skates in shows worldwide. There is an article/ interview in Russian every two weeks stating he'll be back.

5 days ago Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo joined the company of Sasha, Plushy, Irina, Michelle, Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin - all those ppl whom - I think - we won't see in competitive FS anymore.

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
He's joined a political party in Russia. He says he'll strive for the establishment of a fair society in Russia.

My theory is, it's good for his future hotel business.

alyona

Rinkside
I don't think politics is what he is realy _doing_. Yes, he joined the political party but the party itself is rather dwarf and bureaucratic, it's a pocket party of a head of the Russian parliament upper chamber. Hsuns is absolutely right, it may give him some preferencies in his and his relatives' businesses, that's all.
And I don't suppose his politics takes more than 2 hours a month :rofl: His only function is to give his popularity to the party (we call it "a wedding general" in Russian).

What he is realy doing is participating ice shows and trying to produce them. He was a host in Skating with Celebrities on Russian Channel One (along with Slutskaya) and it was pretty cute. He did his own show on New Year's Eve, but according to reports it was a crap. Too much of Edvin Marton trying to sell his CDs out in a lobby and too little skating. Evgeny also had some issues with Averbukh regarding this show (Ilia is definately the most successful and profeccional skating producer; he is Russian Dick Button now, I guess :biggrin: ). But honestly all these issues may be for the sake of publicity only)

And I do not believe in his coming back into competitive skating. I just can't guess why he would do it. He's got everything now. All he can do in eligibles - only to loose what he has.

Ximena

Final Flight
He was also going across Russia with his mini "Ice Autograph" tour where he also did some class for local skaters.

Right now, he is done with most of his shows, he has scheduled for late January AOI shows and at the end of february starts his tour with TT&MM, Irina and N&K and other skaters that will go across Russia until the end of March, then I imagine he'll go to COI.

He keeps saying that he is thinking about coming back, he has not trained at all with Mishin since Olys, he's keeping his shape on his own. Mishin said that they will trained together once Evgeni is done with the shows, if Evgeni decides to come back next season that is. Lately he seems more and more sure than right after Olys when he said he was done, but nothing is 100%.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
He's coming to the UK with the Olympians on Ice Tour with other Russian skaters....and Edvin Marton.... in a couple of weeks.