What's to love about Kurt Browning? | Golden Skate

What's to love about Kurt Browning?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

I 'spose what is not to like?:laugh: From music taste to the most incredible footwork!!!! There is a lot in between to appreciate about this incredible athlete, entertainer, promoter, etc.....

It seems like every time his name is mentioned comments of......:bow: :bow: :bow:

One thing I like is he comes off as being SO confident but NEVER arrogant. - never is "kurt.":laugh:
Another, Fun and goofy but not stupidly silly. He even does a clown with class but still conveys the essence of a clown.
A cut above the rest IMO, but will always get right down in there, brings others up with him and treats them like they belong.

So what do you like about "the Kurt?"

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Kurt is just fabulous. When he performs I forget that he has on skates. I just get caught up in his dance across the ice and can't take my eyes off of him. He is the best.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I am always amazed at Kurt's foot work and his ability to do a jump out of nowhere. I love his skating!

SusanBeth

Final Flight
He had it all in spades. He was a great athlete and a great performer. He had tons of personality and charisma. Plus, he's been wonderful as a pro too. :love:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
everything! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Seriously, he's so versatile, his footwork is amazing ... I :love: his personality, and he is truly a very gracious person (we got to meet him up close & personal at 2005 Skate America). I liked him as an eligible skater, but I think he has grown immensely as a pro. To me he has been part of the "heart & soul" of SOI for years, and it's been a joy to see him enjoy a career with such longevity.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Musical versatility. Can you name anyone else with that quality?

Joe

Not to his degree anyway - but I do have a lady in mind.;) It reminded me of that recent number he did that was around 6 minutes during his special - near the end. Even though it was a slower piece and never really had a climax / crashendo but was still so inthralling to watch. Ever step and the timing was wonderful. Not so much of the "jumps out of no ware:bow: " that just blow my mind, but even the way he was setting them up was so full of "musical feeling" - I consider the "other word" a trademark of Joe's.:laugh:

I will always remember the work he did with Yuka for the Ice wars 05. How much he was responsible for how much of the choreography to the first one, I am not sure, but I think the second - the pocka-dot ribbon outfit to the music from Sideways was so wonderful. the way she was flipping that pointail around and smooth ... oh so smooth:love: :love: :love: . Everything about that was gorgeous to me.

Last edited:
Nicely put, Seanibu. But you do understand that most fans of masculine skating rely on simple background music with Quads. Yet they talk about artistry....

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Ya, that is SOOO valid IMO. It is hard to figure out just where the "line is drawn" and then I think, Well just look at Kurt Browning. If every male skater was to just try as hard as they could to be just like Kurt, I think I for one would have NO problem with that. I haven't seen that much of guys throughout the past (well payed much attintion) but he is one that I never think, my macho friends wouldn't like this guy. They always have and do. He does funny stuff like getting up on the stage or "rock out with the band" a little, but his characteristics are so solid in the masculine sense. The first comparison in this aspect I think of is Gregory Hiens (sp). Well, beside the obvious Gene Kelly.

Odd though I think Evan has it a little too, but not that "musical" as of yet.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
At first I was not sure where this thread was going, but since you ask:

"What's to love about Kurt Browning?" EVERYTHING!!!!

Not only is Kurt a genius on the blade he is also a good sport, gracious to all skaters and a wonderful role model and inspiration to all male skaters in the competitive world. I can't praise him enough.

Every time I see Kurt skate, I am inspired. His tv special "Ice Legends" on past Canadian Male figure skaters was recently rebroadcast over the xmas holidays. Although I have seen the program before I watched again. It was great to Kurt interacting with former champions like Donald Jackson - who inspired him to land his first quad at the Worlds - and Brian Orser who also was a great influence on Kurt. Fantastic footage from past Canadian champions.

Thanks for this post. I hope Kurt will stick around figure skating as long as Osborne Coulson - one of our other great champions and ice legends.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Oh yah, he is Canadian isn't he.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What is not to Love! Thanks for reminding us Lad.:laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he may not be a kid age wise, but I don't think he knows he's an adult ;)

as much as I love him as a skater, after meeting him in St. Louis last year I love him more as a person. He is so genuine.

He's the reason my brother took up skating a couple years ago. He's to my brother what Scott Hamilton was to me growing up. He's Duane's sport's idol. :) And I can't think of a better person to want to immulate...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not this year... they don't have anyone even remotely interested in teaching a boy to figure skate. They want to put him in hockey skates, so he's just going out on his own once in a while and playing around...

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
Is Kurt coaching? Or does he only do choreography?

His solo edging program from his Gotta Skate! show was mesmerizing.:love:

dutchherder

Final Flight
I read somewhere that Kurt said he had no interest in coaching... can't remember where, though.

Kurt actually pays attention to the music. He makes great effort to do different things-- no cookie cutter programs. Anyone who can do "Nyah," "Brick House," and "Singin' in the Rain" with equally effective results is versatile.

He also did the biggest triple axel I've ever seen when he originally did that "Brick House" performance.

His jumps have fast, tight rotation, good height and great ice coverage with a fast, smooth ride out. His footwork is to die for--- best feet in the business! There is also no wasted movement; he pays attention to every motion.

Beyond that, he is straightforward-- no bull and no excuses-- without coming off like a jerk. He cares about his sport, not just his career. He's gracious to fans, supportive of fellow skaters, and appears to be crazy about his wife and kid.

And he has a great butt. :biggrin:

Who could ask for anything more???

kyla2

Final Flight
Kurt

He is one of the truly greats. A master of footwork and dance on the ice. He is also a prince of a man.

emma

Record Breaker
I read somewhere that Kurt said he had no interest in coaching... can't remember where, though.

Kurt actually pays attention to the music. He makes great effort to do different things-- no cookie cutter programs. Anyone who can do "Nyah," "Brick House," and "Singin' in the Rain" with equally effective results is versatile.

He also did the biggest triple axel I've ever seen when he originally did that "Brick House" performance.

His jumps have fast, tight rotation, good height and great ice coverage with a fast, smooth ride out. His footwork is to die for--- best feet in the business! There is also no wasted movement; he pays attention to every motion.

Beyond that, he is straightforward-- no bull and no excuses-- without coming off like a jerk. He cares about his sport, not just his career. He's gracious to fans, supportive of fellow skaters, and appears to be crazy about his wife and kid.

And he has a great butt. :biggrin:

Who could ask for anything more???

I wish I could add something -- but you summed it up perfectly!!! Kurt is simply amazing - imo - versatile, great technician, and absolutely best feet in the business, I just love watching him skate!