Alexei Tikhonov interview (translated) | Golden Skate

Alexei Tikhonov interview (translated)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Original - somewhat odd formatting preserves the original.

[size=+3]”Maria’s health is more important to us”[/size]
[size=-1]Text by Konstantin Bjalski (St. Petersburg)[/size]

[size=+1]World champion and two time European champion Alexei Tikhonov talked to the “Gazeta.ru” correspondent about the reasons he and Maria Petrova a skipping Russian figure skating Nationals at Mytishi. He denies the rumors of them finally and unequivocally leaving eligible sport.[/size]

As everyone knows, Russian figure skating Nationals are thee to select a national team. That’s why the absence of the current pair skating leaders Maria Petrova and Alexei Tikhonov from Mytishi has raised so many questions.

To get proper answers, “Gazeta.Ru” correspondent has called Alexei in Saint Petersburg.

[size=+1]”Masha is experiencing some serious health problems. We decided against taking a risk; we’d rather prepare for competitions down the road.” [/size]

”Therefore, all the talk of you ending your eligible career has nothing to do with reality?”

“Nothing at all”.

”Have you coordinated your absence from the Nationals with the federation leadership?”

”They insisted we skate and Mytishi, but Maria’s health is far more important to me.”

”Are you still counting on making the national team, and competing at Europeans in Warsaw and Worlds in Tokyo?”

”Masha and I will try to prepare well for both Europeans and Worlds. Whether or not we will end up competing there is not up to us.”

”Prior to this season you were promised a stipend as one gets in an Olympic seasons…”

“Those promises came from federation leadership, but they can do almost nothing.

[size=+1]Olympic support fund is the one that decides whom they should support financially. So, as it turns out, the promises were quite empty.[/size]

”Do you have the necessary financial conditions in your native Saint Petersburg?”

“In some ways, yes. The medical clinical that sponsors the city’s figure skating federations has provided for Maria’s medical treatment. We haven’t asked for anything else. We have long become accustomed to solving problems ourselves.”

”Despite your partner’s health problems, you took part in gala concerts in Moscow at the end of December. Is that because you couldn’t get out of your TV contracts?”

“The strain of exhibition skating is negligible compared to competitions. It’s two entirely different things.”

”Do you think you should have withdrawn from Grand Prix Final in Saint Petersburg?”

“I do not consider our performance shameful. If Masha and I had a chance to do it over, we wouldn’t change a thing. We would not have declined the TV project “Stars on ice”, and we would not have withdrawn from Grand Prix Final. Especially since this year in Saint Petersburg two dance teams and we were the only Russian representatives. Besides, we could have skated well. It just ended up being as it was.”

[size=-1]January 5, 2007 20:18[/size]

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
The Russian Federation should feel embarrassed. I am so glad there's no more Mr. Nice Man by Alexei Tikhonov!

emma

Record Breaker
Pitchka,

Thanks for the translation. Is there any update on Maria's health... I do hope she is ok, and I wish them both well.

I don't get it. I thought Piseev kicked them out of Nationals because of their "shameful" performance at the GP finals.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I don't get it. I thought Piseev kicked them out of Nationals because of their "shameful" performance at the GP finals.

No. They did not officially kick them out. I read somewhere Pet/T's coach told them 'not to disgrace themselves by doing nationals', they then telephoned Piseev.

I don't think Maria's health situation is that serious, there's no doubt their commercial shows had an impact on their GPF performance. But Russian federation should give them sometime to recuperate instead of blaming them all over the place in the press.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think because they bombed in the GPF, the RFSF is trying to get them to retire and let the younger teams step up to the plate. But it doesn't look as if the Pettikhs have any intention of going away quietly. Why should they? They were asked to come back this year----by the RFSF. If that's how the Pettikhs want to play it, good for them.

Now if the RFSF decides not to send them to Euros and Worlds, it's on the RFSF, not on them.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
So the PetTikhs skated poorly in the GPF -- big deal, They are still the best pairs team Russia now has. Furthermore, if they are no longer on the commercial show, they should be able to get back into training by Worlds. But, if Piseev wants to lose spots for Russian pairs at Euros and Worlds, on his head be it.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
So the PetTikhs skated poorly in the GPF -- big deal, They are still the best pairs team Russia now has. Furthermore, if they are no longer on the commercial show, they should be able to get back into training by Worlds. But, if Piseev wants to lose spots for Russian pairs at Euros and Worlds, on his head be it.

I cannot believe no one has tried to replace Piseev. He's been around since before the 1994 Olympics! Not to mention, his wife Alla Shekovtseva has judged dance every time there is a dance controversy (she always voted Russian in the 6.0 days--now one does not know how she scores).

Snowgirl

On the Ice
They announced all teams that are going to Euros, so there will be all medallists from Nats, Mukhortova/Trankov, Obertas/Slavnov, Efaeva/Menshikov. But if Petrova recovers from herillness, she and Tikhonov will replace E/M. So no one is going to kick them off right now, it's question of their condition.
Personally, I don't want an another poor performance like a GPF one.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
They announced all teams that are going to Euros, so there will be all medallists from Nats, Mukhortova/Trankov, Obertas/Slavnov, Efaeva/Menshikov. But if Petrova recovers from herillness, she and Tikhonov will replace E/M. So no one is going to kick them off right now, it's question of their condition.
Personally, I don't want an another poor performance like a GPF one.
Hmmm... I wonder what about Kawaguchi & Smirnov?