A mini-battle between Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim at the 'Winter Asian Games'? | Golden Skate

A mini-battle between Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim at the 'Winter Asian Games'?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
A mini-battle between Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim at the 'Winter Asian Games'?

I followed a link posted on another forum, it looks like both Mao Asada and Yu Na Kim had planned to compete at the 'Winter Asian Games' according to this Chinese source:
http://sports.sohu.com/20070108/n247469776.shtml

The article did mention that Yu Na Kim may not be able to participate due to her injury. I just wish Yu Na Kim the best luck and really really want to see a mini-battle between Mao and her before worlds.

I'd like to see Mao land her 3A outside her comfort zone-Japan.

Let's take a bet. What is the chance that both Mao and Yu Na will compete at the 'Winter Asian Games'? Who will win?

OK, I'll bet that Kim does not skate :cry: and that Mao lands a triple Axel and scores 200 points. :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim won't be able to do the Asian Games as she has to be off the ice for 4 weeks with her back injury. She won't be able to return to the ice again until after the games are over. And even then, she has to be careful so even her participation at Worlds is uncertain just yet.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Kim won't be able to do the Asian Games as she has to be off the ice for 4 weeks with her back injury. She won't be able to return to the ice again until after the games are over. And even then, she has to be careful so even her participation at Worlds is uncertain just yet.

Nothing is set in stone. I know the 'Winter Asian Games' are more important than worlds in South Korea.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is Kim has an incapacitating injury. As much as her federation may want her at the Asian Winter Games, if she tried to compete there her condition could worsen to the point that she'd need surgery. And that would likely be the end of her competitive career.

R.D.

Record Breaker
oh man, I don't even want to hear that. :no:

I don't know the mentality of the Korean skating fed, though. Are they going to push her towards the Asian Games or would they want her to heal up for the world championships?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they push her to the Asian Games then she definitely will not heal up, and her back could get so much worse. The girl is 16 years old and I just hope she has some say as to the way her life is going.

NO competition is worth a risk like that. SHE is the one who will feel the unrelenting pain, not her federation.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
oh man, I don't even want to hear that. :no:

I don't know the mentality of the Korean skating fed, though. Are they going to push her towards the Asian Games or would they want her to heal up for the world championships?

She may feel better at that time, it's hard to tell.

I exchanged a brief message with a korean fan a while again. She told me that south korean athletes will get life-time pension if they medal at the Asian Games.
Not necessarily for the worlds. So Yu Na Kim may have the extra incentive to go if she does feel better at the advice of the doctor. I won't rule it out.

It's also rumored that Miki Ando may also go. Japan may not send their top male skaters though. There is also a wonderful North Korean skater I'd love to see.

China will send shen&zhao and pang&tong, zhang&zhang will not compete, they, however, will go to Italy next week for the university games?

M

mylastduchess

Kim's injury is not as bad as people might think its certainly a big possibility that she will be competing at the Asian Games

euterpe

Medalist
Kim's injury is not as bad as people might think its certainly a big possibility that she will be competing at the Asian Games

Her condition is very painful, and it could get even more painful if she has to compete at the Asian games. Right after New Year's her doctors said she needed to undergo a 4-week rehabilitation program, including therapy, special exercises and pain medication. She was not to return to a full practice schedule for the full 4 weeks.

The Asian games start on January 28, so she cannot be on painkillers for at least a week before that, and on no painkillers at all during the Games, or she won't pass the drug screening.

So Yu-Na has to interrupt her rehabilitation and return to full competition, with no relief for her pain should it recur (and it almost certainly will). And she is only 16 years old. God help her, because her federation certainly is not going to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
They have to draw the line SOMEWHERE. If it's too bad she can't compete at all and then she'll have to withdraw.

antmanb

Record Breaker

She collapsed in a practice session because of the pain...that to me sounds pretty bad, i've had some painful injuries in my time and i've never collapsed from the pain.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess the South Korean federation feels their athletes should be able to skate through pain, no matter how great.

Or that they should bring home medals now, no matter what the cost or the impact on their longevity as an athlete.

soogar

Record Breaker
Or maybe the Asian games are much bigger than Worlds in Korea's eye. It's not as if they need Yu Na to get spots for their other skaters.

And a lifetime pension.. that is very hard to pass up.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Or maybe the Asian games are much bigger than Worlds in Korea's eye. It's not as if they need Yu Na to get spots for their other skaters.

Heck, I'd skate on a broken foot if I received a lifetime pension after the day I've had... :laugh: ;)

M

mylastduchess

Yeah, Yu-na could retire if she wins gold. So if she breaks her back she won't have to worry.!

R.D.

Record Breaker
If she does do that (win gold and retire)...talk about a FLASH IN THE PAN :eek:

soogar

Record Breaker
What is she wins it and retires unable to walk again...

Ant

At least she has that lifetime pension. Though if she's that bad, why does she even bother to rehab to go to worlds. It's not as if she's going to miraculously heal in 2 months. She might as well take 2 years off and make sure she really gets better.