Thread: Has Elena Liashenko retired from competition?

Has Elena Liashenko retired from competition?

Any news?

Go NJ Devils
    Yes. It was her recurring back injury that made her decide.

Custom Title

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    Yes. It was her recurring back injury that made her decide.
    Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be seeing here anywhere in the pro ranks. Her best finishes were a win at GP event win (Cup of a China), two Euro medals (silver, bronze) and a 6th place showing at Worlds.

Neither of those accomplishments is enough to secure her a spot in show skating.

Quote Originally Posted by krenseby View Post
    Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be seeing here anywhere in the pro ranks. Her best finishes were a win at GP event win (Cup of a China), two Euro medals (silver, bronze) and a 6th place showing at Worlds.

Neither of those accomplishments is enough to secure her a spot in show skating.
    Tell that to Steven Cousins whose international career is less stellar than Liashenko's!

Ant

Custom Title

My reaction, too

Ant - same reaction here. Caryn Kadavy also didn't have a ton of eligible winnings but has had a long pro career. And there are a couple of Oly gold medal winning woman who had pro careers that were rather short, so the Oly gold isn't a free ticket, either.

Linny

Go NJ Devils
    Liashenko is not a Friend of Scott, and unlike in Cadavy's time, there is no pro competitive circuit that is televised, raising the skaters' stock for shows.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyfan228 View Post
    Liashenko is not a Friend of Scott, and unlike in Cadavy's time, there is no pro competitive circuit that is televised, raising the skaters' stock for shows.
    I think she'd rather stay home, anyway. She got married last year to one of the Efremenko brothers (Galya Maniaschenko got married to the other Efremenko brother).

Custom Title
    Maybe she will make shows in Ukraine and Russia. She could participate at some televized skating reality. These things are becoming popular in Europe. In Europe FS popularity is rising. 2006 was the first year, as far as I remember, that so many shows were televized in Italy. Of what I've read here, it seems that FS is declining in the USA. So, better Elena Liashenko stay in Europe and do shows here. I hope she'll have a successfull career.