Has Elena Liashenko retired from competition? | Golden Skate

Has Elena Liashenko retired from competition?

krenseby

Final Flight
Re:

Yes. It was her recurring back injury that made her decide.

Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be seeing here anywhere in the pro ranks. Her best finishes were a win at GP event win (Cup of a China), two Euro medals (silver, bronze) and a 6th place showing at Worlds.

Neither of those accomplishments is enough to secure her a spot in show skating.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Unfortunately, I doubt that we will be seeing here anywhere in the pro ranks. Her best finishes were a win at GP event win (Cup of a China), two Euro medals (silver, bronze) and a 6th place showing at Worlds.

Neither of those accomplishments is enough to secure her a spot in show skating.

Tell that to Steven Cousins whose international career is less stellar than Liashenko's!

Ant

Linny

Final Flight
My reaction, too

Ant - same reaction here. Caryn Kadavy also didn't have a ton of eligible winnings but has had a long pro career. And there are a couple of Oly gold medal winning woman who had pro careers that were rather short, so the Oly gold isn't a free ticket, either.

Linny

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Liashenko is not a Friend of Scott, and unlike in Cadavy's time, there is no pro competitive circuit that is televised, raising the skaters' stock for shows.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Liashenko is not a Friend of Scott, and unlike in Cadavy's time, there is no pro competitive circuit that is televised, raising the skaters' stock for shows.

I think she'd rather stay home, anyway. She got married last year to one of the Efremenko brothers (Galya Maniaschenko got married to the other Efremenko brother).

gio

Medalist
Maybe she will make shows in Ukraine and Russia. She could participate at some televized skating reality. These things are becoming popular in Europe. In Europe FS popularity is rising. 2006 was the first year, as far as I remember, that so many shows were televized in Italy. Of what I've read here, it seems that FS is declining in the USA. So, better Elena Liashenko stay in Europe and do shows here. I hope she'll have a successfull career.