Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 65

Thread: Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,017

    Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros?

    I just found Carolina Kostner's long program at Italian Nationals.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cluj2ILaOA

    Looks to me she is in much better shape these days. She nailed a 3flip-3toe at the beginning. Although she popped one jump and put hands down twice subsequently, it's still a much improved performance compared to her dismal days at the Olys and the Worlds.

    I have noticed her speed has slowed down substantially. She is no longer like a bull in a china shop. Maybe that's why her jumps are more secure. I believe she has a realistic shot at the gold medal at the upcoming Euros. Although Sarah Meiser is relatively consistent this season, she would still pop one or two jumps in the long program and she does not have triple+triple.

    Your opinions?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,562
    I think a lot will depend on the nerves, as mostly always, LOL. Kostner has a chance for gold medal, but I would say that Meier has an equal chance. I also hope that either Poykio or Korpi will get a medal, even better if they both would, LOL... It could well be, that this time no Russian lady will be on the podium? Gedevanishvili could be able to win a medal, perhaps.
    Last edited by Jaana; 01-11-2007 at 02:36 AM.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    She does seem more at ease but her LP was quite faulty. I saw double foot jump landing, several hand down landings, and at least one popup. Spins are passable as is her required footwork, but she does much jumping in the first third of the programs interspersed with crossovers and long preparations a la Liashenko. But her opening 3x3 was stupendous!

    She is skating somewhat better but she's not up to Mao, Yuna and Miki. I would throw in Kimmie and Joannie too.

    Joe

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    She does seem more at ease but her LP was quite faulty. I saw double foot jump landing, several hand down landings, and at least one popup. Spins are passable as is her required footwork, but she does much jumping in the first third of the programs interspersed with crossovers and long preparations a la Liashenko. But her opening 3x3 was stupendous!

    She is skating somewhat better but she's not up to Mao, Yuna and Miki. I would throw in Kimmie and Joannie too.

    Joe

    I am talking about Euros.

  5. #5
    what didn't kill me-made me stronger!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    504
    Is someone here talking about Caro?????
    ofcourse she can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FORZA CAROLINA

  6. #6
    The Ice is Slippery SK8LUVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    213
    She looked very slow to me and very reserved. But I still hope that she does well.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    555
    The Ladies is very open this year and most observers would say that Meier has the edge, she is consistent with the jumps but dont forget her spins have all been level 4 this season and her step sequences are equally as good, her artistic side has improved and she looks the complete package out there.

    Susanna Poykio is another complete package skater and like Sarah has a lovely lyrical LP, her spins could be better levels and her step sequences but her artistic side is the best of any woman, if she nails the jumps she has a chance for the title.

    Carolina seems to have found some form at the right time and could peak at Euro's. I have said that she should medal, her Program component score will help her as the judges like all her transition moves etc, again if she nails a triple triple and some other jumps she should win - so yes she has a chance but because she has only been at italian nationals this season she is rank outsider to Meier.

  8. #8
    Custom Title antmanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK - Manchester
    Posts
    4,913
    Quote Originally Posted by russell30 View Post
    The Ladies is very open this year and most observers would say that Meier has the edge, she is consistent with the jumps but dont forget her spins have all been level 4 this season and her step sequences are equally as good, her artistic side has improved and she looks the complete package out there.

    Not quite - as far as i can remember she has not managed to get a level 4 layback in her SP. I noticed that for this reason she doesn't appear to include a layback in her LP at all.

    I've just looked up all of her competitions and at Skate America and Cup of Russia SP she had all level 4 elements except her layback spin which was level 2 and her straighline steps which were level 2. In the LP it was the same except she doesn't do a layback and does another level 4 spin (the upright combo spin!) and the straightline steps were level 3.

    By the GPF and her nationals she's managed to up the Level 2 straightline steps to level 3 but hte layback was still a lowly 2.

    Ant

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,542
    At least it's better that Cupcake's layback, a level1. All of Sokolova's non-jump elements are low level, and she didn't even have a combination in her FS at
    Russian Nationals.

  10. #10
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    12
    I think the video file was playing slower than the skate actually was. The music sounded slower and her program went beyond 4:10. The file was not playing smoothly so that could explain why her spins and speed seem slower than usually.

    Love the program and the music.

  11. #11
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,178
    Welcome to Golden Skate, MVick, and thanks for posting.

    (BTW, congrats on a fine season with Atlanta. )

  12. #12
    Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,087
    She'll be lucky if she gets a medal. I can see the Suisse and the Finnish woman beating her, and add the Georgian and the #3 Russian.

  13. #13
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    She'll be lucky if she gets a medal. I can see the Suisse and the Finnish woman beating her, and add the Georgian and the #3 Russian.
    "The Georgian" - that would be the marvelous Elene Gedevanishvili? She's had such a hard year - it's great to have her back and I hope she makes the podium.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by SK8LUVR View Post
    She looked very slow to me and very reserved. But I still hope that she does well.
    She's very slow, but maybe she will have more secure landing because of this.

    I always found her speed really gave her a lot of trouble in the past, it's so wild.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    "The Georgian" - that would be the marvelous Elene Gedevanishvili? She's had such a hard year - it's great to have her back and I hope she makes the podium.
    I don't believe she can keep it up by looking at her body built. She's a compact but tiny type, I am afraid to say puberty monster is going to destroy her.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •