Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros? | Golden Skate

Will Carolina Kostner grab the gold medal at Euros?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I just found Carolina Kostner's long program at Italian Nationals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cluj2ILaOA

Looks to me she is in much better shape these days. She nailed a 3flip-3toe at the beginning. Although she popped one jump and put hands down twice subsequently, it's still a much improved performance compared to her dismal days at the Olys and the Worlds.

I have noticed her speed has slowed down substantially. She is no longer like a bull in a china shop. Maybe that's why her jumps are more secure. I believe she has a realistic shot at the gold medal at the upcoming Euros. Although Sarah Meiser is relatively consistent this season, she would still pop one or two jumps in the long program and she does not have triple+triple.

Your opinions?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think a lot will depend on the nerves, as mostly always, LOL. Kostner has a chance for gold medal, but I would say that Meier has an equal chance. I also hope that either Poykio or Korpi will get a medal, even better if they both would, LOL... It could well be, that this time no Russian lady will be on the podium? Gedevanishvili could be able to win a medal, perhaps.

Last edited:
She does seem more at ease but her LP was quite faulty. I saw double foot jump landing, several hand down landings, and at least one popup. Spins are passable as is her required footwork, but she does much jumping in the first third of the programs interspersed with crossovers and long preparations a la Liashenko. But her opening 3x3 was stupendous!

She is skating somewhat better but she's not up to Mao, Yuna and Miki. I would throw in Kimmie and Joannie too.

Joe

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
She does seem more at ease but her LP was quite faulty. I saw double foot jump landing, several hand down landings, and at least one popup. Spins are passable as is her required footwork, but she does much jumping in the first third of the programs interspersed with crossovers and long preparations a la Liashenko. But her opening 3x3 was stupendous!

She is skating somewhat better but she's not up to Mao, Yuna and Miki. I would throw in Kimmie and Joannie too.

Joe

I am talking about Euros.

russell30

Final Flight
The Ladies is very open this year and most observers would say that Meier has the edge, she is consistent with the jumps but dont forget her spins have all been level 4 this season and her step sequences are equally as good, her artistic side has improved and she looks the complete package out there.

Susanna Poykio is another complete package skater and like Sarah has a lovely lyrical LP, her spins could be better levels and her step sequences but her artistic side is the best of any woman, if she nails the jumps she has a chance for the title.

Carolina seems to have found some form at the right time and could peak at Euro's. I have said that she should medal, her Program component score will help her as the judges like all her transition moves etc, again if she nails a triple triple and some other jumps she should win - so yes she has a chance but because she has only been at italian nationals this season she is rank outsider to Meier.

antmanb

Record Breaker
The Ladies is very open this year and most observers would say that Meier has the edge, she is consistent with the jumps but dont forget her spins have all been level 4 this season and her step sequences are equally as good, her artistic side has improved and she looks the complete package out there.

Not quite - as far as i can remember she has not managed to get a level 4 layback in her SP. I noticed that for this reason she doesn't appear to include a layback in her LP at all.

I've just looked up all of her competitions and at Skate America and Cup of Russia SP she had all level 4 elements except her layback spin which was level 2 and her straighline steps which were level 2. In the LP it was the same except she doesn't do a layback and does another level 4 spin (the upright combo spin!) and the straightline steps were level 3.

By the GPF and her nationals she's managed to up the Level 2 straightline steps to level 3 but hte layback was still a lowly 2.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least it's better that Cupcake's layback, a level1. All of Sokolova's non-jump elements are low level, and she didn't even have a combination in her FS at
Russian Nationals.

mvick

Rinkside
I think the video file was playing slower than the skate actually was. The music sounded slower and her program went beyond 4:10. The file was not playing smoothly so that could explain why her spins and speed seem slower than usually.

Love the program and the music.

Welcome to Golden Skate, MVick, and thanks for posting.

(BTW, congrats on a fine season with Atlanta. :) )

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
She'll be lucky if she gets a medal. I can see the Suisse and the Finnish woman beating her, and add the Georgian and the #3 Russian.

She'll be lucky if she gets a medal. I can see the Suisse and the Finnish woman beating her, and add the Georgian and the #3 Russian.

"The Georgian" - that would be the marvelous Elene Gedevanishvili? She's had such a hard year - it's great to have her back and I hope she makes the podium.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
She looked very slow to me and very reserved. But I still hope that she does well.

She's very slow, but maybe she will have more secure landing because of this.

I always found her speed really gave her a lot of trouble in the past, it's so wild.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
"The Georgian" - that would be the marvelous Elene Gedevanishvili? She's had such a hard year - it's great to have her back and I hope she makes the podium.

I don't believe she can keep it up by looking at her body built. She's a compact but tiny type, I am afraid to say puberty monster is going to destroy her.

evenstar

Final Flight
I think Sara Meier will take the gold. She is more consistent than ever this season, and she has had much more time to expose her programs to an international panel of judges. Carolina looked pretty good at nationals, but I wouldn't think she was quite prepared enough to clinch the gold. She definitely has a chance though.

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Well if Kostner goes for the triple-triple in the short, and everything goes cleanly, I wouldn't be surprise for her to have a very good shot, she'll probably be in the lead after the SP. The field is weaker this year, so she'll be in top group, it's just weather she can hold it together. I still think momemtum is on Meier side. And the top group will probably include the Finnish and Hungarian ladies with Gedevanishvili, dpending on how her skate goes as well.

MKFSfan

Medalist
My dream podium would be Sarah and Elene for sure! I think Sarah is the biggest threat for Gold, but Caro could cause an upset. Not sure how Elene has been with all the troubles she's had this season. Caro and Susanna are threats as well. Are there any other ladies competing that could be considered true threats, or just upsets?

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
My dream podium would be Sarah and Elene for sure! I think Sarah is the biggest threat for Gold, but Caro could cause an upset. Not sure how Elene has been with all the troubles she's had this season. Caro and Susanna are threats as well. Are there any other ladies competing that could be considered true threats, or just upsets?

Caro has a good shot. If she reels off a triple-triple in short program, Caro will be in excellent position going into long. Everybody is saying how consistent Sarah is this season, I don't buy it. Remember she still popped two jumps at GPF. She has not skated a totally clean long program. With triple-triples, Caro can afford to make 2 jump mistakes and still beat Sarah.

I wouldn't hold my hope high for Elene. Puberty monster is strucking her hard.

I wouldn't hold my hope high for Elene. Puberty monster is strucking her hard.
What are you basing that on? I mean, I read what you said about tiny compact body type, but she looked gorgeous in 2006. Have you seen her more recently? And isn't Irina another tiny compact type? I think she did okay after puberty.