Articles on skaters competing at US Nationals | Golden Skate

Articles on skaters competing at US Nationals

flying camel

Medalist
I hope it is okay to post articles on skaters here. I just read this one on Taylor, Firth. I really enjoyed it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070111/1064302.asp

"Taylor Firth: 'I love spinning in the air. I love the feel of flying around. I love being on show.'

By AMY MORITZ, Buffalo News.

"JAMESTOWN - Right now, it's the little things that excite her. The possibility of doing autograph booths and having young skaters ask her to sign their programs. The hospitality provided for the event, with food for competitors, a hotel right across the street from the rink and professionals to do her hair and makeup.

"That's not why Taylor Firth is in the figure skating business, but those first-time perks sure are nice. Her enthusiasm is contagious and it offers a bit of relief, too. After all, she is only 15 years old and most other times exudes the poise and maturity of someone much older....

"The Grand Island native who trains in Jamestown placed second at the Eastern Sectional Championships held in Atlanta, earning her a spot in the national championships Jan. 21-28 in Spokane, Wash., and a chance to skate against the likes of Kimmie Meissner and Emily Hughes. According to co-coach Kirk Wyse, it's the first time since 1932 that a female skater from Western New York has advanced to the senior ladies national freestyle event....

"Firth also has strong mental skills - a focus and determination that often separates the elite athletes from the wannabes.

"'Not only is she doing the physical work every day but she's doing the work mentally,' said Kellie Peiper, who works with Firth as a sports psychology consultant. 'She's working on her confidence and positive self-talk - all the things that train her brain to be in the zone, in the moment, and focus on the task at hand....'"

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Here's the link to the Taylor Firth article (includes photos):
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20070111/1064302.asp

Article summarizing the Northern Virginia-based skaters bound for Nationals with mentions of Derrick Delmore, Craig Ratterree, Tommy Steenberg, Ashley Wagner (junior), Armin Mahbanoozadeh (novice) and the dance teams of Matthews/Zavozin, Elizabeth Miosi/Dmitry Ponomarev, and Megan Evans/Nathan Truesdell (novice):
http://www.fcnp.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=37

Chicago Tribune article on Danny O'Shea, who won the Midwestern Sectional Novice men's event:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...,0,2898661.story?coll=cs-highschool-headlines

Local article on the only two Oregon skaters who will compete at Nationals -- the Novice pair of Madeline Heritage and Casey Sullivan: http://www.beavertonvalleytimes.com/sports/story.php?story_id=116793446281400300

Local Massachusetts article on Buck Withrow, the junior ice dancer who skates with Brianne Oswald:
http://www.townonline.com/swampscott/homepage/8999026017741832191

The mods might want to specify this is "US nationals" in the title? ;)

antmanb

Record Breaker
"It's still a little difficult for me to grasp. This is new being a senior lady and I didn't have high expectations," said Firth, who last year skated as a novice. "My original goal was to make it out of regionals and hopefully do my best at sectionals. I just really wanted to put on two good programs and see where I could be amongst the other girls.

Is that right that she skated as a Novice and then jumped up through junior and directly into senior? Is it wise to skip even a year at juniors?

Ant

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Is that right that she skated as a Novice and then jumped up through junior and directly into senior? Is it wise to skip even a year at juniors?
Firth stayed an extra year in novice in the 2005-06 season but did not qualify for 2006 Nationals even though she skated well (including landing a triple flip in her Novice FS) due to the extreme depth of the field at Eastern Sectionals. I don't know about "wise" but both the junior and senior ladies fields at Easterns were very deep/competitive this year, so for Firth to qualify for her first "big" Nationals at the senior level is a very cool accomplishment! If Firth skates and places well in her senior national debut (top 10, for example), there's always the possibility she could be assigned to junior international competitions next season.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Firth stayed an extra year in novice in the 2005-06 season but did not qualify for 2006 Nationals even though she skated well (including landing a triple flip in her Novice FS) due to the extreme depth of the field at Eastern Sectionals. I don't know about "wise" but both the junior and senior ladies fields at Easterns were very deep/competitive this year, so for Firth to qualify for her first "big" Nationals at the senior level is a very cool accomplishment! If Firth skates and places well in her senior national debut (top 10, for example), there's always the possibility she could be assigned to junior international competitions next season.

Oh I see, i suppose i just thought it was strange that skater wouldn't even spend a year competing as a junior. That is some accomplishment then to qualify fo senior nationals in your first attempt without having skated in juniors.

Ant

flying camel

Medalist
Here is a story on Alissa.

Czisny has ice-cold confidence
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070113/SPORTS07/701130341/1136

Detroit Skating Club product turns tumble into toughness in quest for national, world titles.

Joanne C. Gerstner / The Detroit News

BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- The hardest lessons for Alissa Czisny never were the technical aspects of her sport.

She's always had the innate grace and flow of an elite figure skater.

Executing perfectly turned spins, complex jumps and spirals came to her readily while practicing at the Detroit Skating Club.

Czisny's biggest struggles came from the most complex source: her head.

She was in the mix as a contender for the 2006 U.S. Olympic team, but fell apart at Nationals and never reached Torino.

Czisny now sees herself as a survivor, tough enough to handle the pressures of international skating.

"I had to mature," Czisny, 19, said. "It's not easy when you go from people not really talking about you, to then hearing everywhere that you might go to the Olympics. That kind of attention and pressure can get to you."I feel a lot different today than I did last year. I have really grown in a lot of ways because of everything I went through. The tough times either make you stronger -- or you don't want to skate anymore."

Love, love, love me some Alissa.

But I have to beat Red Dog to the punch and say, talk is cheap.

BTW, it is amazing that the Detroit News ran this article on the sports page. Usually they ignore figure skating altogether.

Why is this post in the plural? All I read is Taylor Firth, who btw, I did see live in MidAtlantics. She's good. All the more reasons to get thee to Spokane.

Joe

mskater93

Record Breaker
Love, love, love me some Alissa.

But I have to beat Red Dog to the punch and say, talk is cheap.

BTW, it is amazing that the Detroit News ran this article on the sports page. Usually they ignore figure skating altogether.

Totally not true about the Freep. They had an article about both Czissny twins a couple years ago. They had an article about a girl who went to Junior Nationals last year. They have written MULTIPLE articles on Belbin and Agosto...

Yes, the Detroit Free Press has excellent coverage of figure skating, especially of skaters with local ties.

But the rival Detroit News hardly ever mentions the sport at all. So this article is unusual for them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
FIrst let me say thanks for all the articles.

On the Czisny article: I definitely think she has grown and I'm sure she's more confident than she was a year ago. Question is, will it translate over to skate day? Or better yet, skate time? And even if it happens, will it be enough to pull her through? I remain skeptical.

P.S. that's a nice photo of her on the top.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
As I said on the "U.S.Nationals: Your thoughts" thread, I believe that Alissa will win the silver at Nationals by not too much of a margin behind Kimmie. I just have a hunch about it.

flying camel

Medalist
Sorry I don't know how to put the links on here, but I just read this article on Kimmie, from Eurosport:

http://www.eurosport.com/figureskating/sport_sto1058413.shtml

With a world figure skating title already in the bag, Kimmie Meissner will look to leave her mark on home ice next week with a first victory at the US nationals....

"It's pretty funny, normally you win nationals and then you win the worlds but I decided to change things up and do it the other way around."

Nice post, FC -Kimmie is apparently a nice lady. She is also a very good figure skater. Will she win the US Nats? Probably. Will she win the Worlds? Probably not. She will, hoever, continue to be a very good skater and a nice lady.

Joe