American Idol 4/22 | Golden Skate

American Idol 4/22

M

mike79

American Idol 4/22

My God, the themes this year are horrible. Diane Warren songs are the theme and she's the judge. So we got to here endless crappy, fake, love songs.

My rankings for the night:

1.Clay - Great job but still too much broadway
2.Ruben - Would've been 1st but he ignored half of the chorus
3.Trenyce - Another solid performance
4.Kim L - Slow start but really good at the end
5.Carmen - Better than last week but still not near the top 4. She took some harsh criticism.
6.Josh - This was almost as bad as Disco week. I thought he might do well this week but I laughed the whole time he was singing it was so bad.

Predictions:

Bottom 3 - Trenyce, Josh, Carmen

Josh or Carmen should go (hopefully Josh based on tonight's show) but I predict an upset with Trenyce taking the fall:mad:

H

heyang

Re: American Idol 4/22

Kim: She's improved so much since the beginning. I think her new look has given her a lot of confidence - she doesn't seem as brash as before. I thought she did a great job. As Simon said, she's the one Ruben and Clay have to watch out for.

Clay: Good song chance - not the usual soft ballad. Someone on another board called him a Broadway star and I think agree with her and Simon. I noticed fewer facial ticks this week. Another good performance, but he's not a pop star.

Trenyce: Again, Simon called it - she's got a good voice but seems devoid of emotion. She's definitely working the song, but doesn't bring the emotions.

Josh: definitely hit a few bad notes. He's been better which doesn't say a lot.

Carmen: Still has pitch problems. Last night she really reminded me of a less talented Marie Osmond. I'm glad Randy and Simon are calling the truth.

Ruben: Another smooth performance. Wish he had sung the chorus. I think one of the reasons I enjoy him so much is because he is so obviously enjoying his performance. He's really the most effortless of the group. Glad he made an effort to sound a bit different this week. (Paula totally missed that Simon advised him to change his MO.)

My bottom 3: Carmen, Josh, Trenyce. I really want Carmen to go because she really should've been eliminated already. For this week, I personally think Josh was the worst. Realistically, Trenyce may go because Josh has the patriotic vote and Carmen has obvious mass support for whatever reasons.

Diane Warren was an awful judge. Never said anything negative. Worst thing she said was 'This was your best performance' to Carmen. We already have cheerleader Paula. These people need constructive criticism. While Simon can be harsh, he's usually right.

S

Show 42

Heyang, I agree with you about the judging......let's hear constructive criticism from ALL the judges....

...Clay....Clearly the best voice of the six, but he does lack "Star Appeal"....but look at Josh Grobin. Same type of slight build, but he has the "it" factor. So could Clay. He gets my vote...

.....Kim....Nice voice, pretty face

....Rueben.....I don't see what the fuss is with his voice. He has no volume. For a big guy, he should be able to really punch the music out, like Luther Vandrosse (sp). He looks like a really nice guy, but no "Star Appeal".

.....Trenyce....If they ever make a movie about Diana Ross, she gets my vote for the role. Nice voice, but no original styling at all...

......Carmen.....She's one of those performers who know how to "perform" the song rather than sing it. Alot of artists do that very successfully (Cher comes to mind).

......Josh.....Out of tune, Out of sync, Out of here....... 42

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:blue;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Diane Warren was NOT a good judge. You could see that she wanted to criticize Carmen but didn't want to be unkind. I don't know really what she could have said to help Carmen. I mean, if your talent is limited, what good does it say to tell someone, "Well, give it up, honey"?</span>

<span style="color:red;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Kimberley: She just keeps getting better and better. What I like most about her is she is so GENUINE. You just know that what you see is what she is. If she were to win, I don't think we would ever see her come back next season and sing and move in a sleazy manner with her hair hanging in her face looking like a tart (like someone did a week or so ago).</span>

<span style="color:purple;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Clay: More emotionally real this week, less facial tics for sure. I would pay big bucks to see him in a Broadway musical. I would also pay $$ to buy his first CD.</span>

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Trenyce: I think she sang well, less tight vocally than usual. I agree with the lack of emotional connection. That comment was completely correct.</span>

<span style="color:teal;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Ruben: What the HECK was that all about? That was by far his worst performance--and I couldn't even begin to imagine what they were all raving about! And he most certainly WAS still in that Barry White zone! Where were the lyrics? It was an exercise in vocal gymnastics: Listen to how I can move my voice around, everyone!</span>

<span style="color:green;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">Carmen: Yes, it certainly was better than last week and perhaps someday she will develop more soul to her singing. But I think she needs to experience more of life first. She must just hate the acne outbreak that does not seem to want to go away!</span>
<span style="color:eek:live;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">
Josh: That was the epitome of karaoke night. Yes, he was sharp for a great deal of the song, as Randy pointed out.</span>

<span style="color:navy;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">My order of preference is:

1. Clay
2. Kimberley
3. Trenyce
4. Ruben
5. Carmen
6. Josh

My daughter's order of preference is:

1. Kimberley
2. Clay
3. Ruben
4. Trenyce
5. Josh
6. Carmen

Pretty close! </span>

<span style="color:red;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">I really LOVE this show! I love watching developing talent!</span>

G

guinevere

re: American Idol 4/22

Count me in as one who really hates these one-songwriter episodes!! These songs were all horrible. And Diane Warren was the pits as a guest judge :mad:

<strong>Kimberley</strong>: Quickly becoming the one to beat, in terms of performance...but I'm not convinced that she will be able to draw the fans to even get into the top 2, maybe not even the top 3! I spent the whole hour afterwards hitting redial for this fabulous gal (but what's up with dissing her previous hairstyle? I liked it curly!)

<strong>Clay</strong>: I <em>loved</em> the way this song started - the low notes that Clay sang really showed a side to his range that we haven't seen much of (and of course in the recap they only showed the chorus when he was belting it out). A very good step forward IMO! But is it just me, or is Clay losing some of his geeky charm as his makeover becomes more complete?

<strong>Trenyce</strong>: She's got the range, but this song was so bland, I didn't even care that she was giving it her all. Good comment from Simon about how she manages to perform the hell out of songs, but doesn't show anything of herself. And a gold star for Trenyce for actually understanding what he was saying to her (even if Randy couldn't :rolleyes: )

<strong>Josh</strong>: I was convinced he couldn't hear the backing track and was singing in a different key the whole time. Yikes!

<strong>Carmen</strong>: I was really frightened when Carmen announced that she was singing a song that would test her entire range - fortunately she spent about .oo3 seconds on the high and low notes, and spent the rest of the song warbling around in the middle as usual. That aside, definitely the best I've heard her. <strong>Still sucks.</strong> Note that Carmen was the ONLY performer about whom Diane Warren DIDN'T say how gorgeously they performed - only that it's the best Carmen had done.

<strong>Ruben</strong>: I liked that Ruben was smiling the whole time he was singing - I imagined that he knew what a cheesy song it was, and he was sharing the joke with the audience :smokin: . I did like his delivery, but it also bothered me that he cheated his way out of singing the chorus - just like he did with "Baby I Need Your Lovin'".

Finally, a huge <strong>THANK YOU</strong> to Simon Cowell for ensuring that Carmen will make it at least 2 more weeks by saying she can't win. Remember, Simon, it's your fault she's here, so have a good time paying her lots of $ to bleat her way to stardom if she pulls off the big mormon upset.

My ranking:

1. Kimberley
2-3. Clay/Ruben (equal in my eyes/ears)
4. Trenyce
5. Carmen (hey! I didn't put her last - THAT's a first!!)
6. Josh

Bottom 3: Trenyce/Carmen/Josh (I think there's a possibility that Kim will end up in the bottom 3 instead of the Teflon Goat, but I can't think about that right now)

Who should go: Based on tonight - Josh. Based on overall lack of talent - Carmen. Unfortunately, I think the fan base issue will mean that the enigmatic Trenyce will get the boot :(

guinevere

S

sk8cynic

Re: re: American Idol 4/22

If I had to pick one word to describe the show last night, it would have to be "frustrating." This group of 6 has so much more raw talent overall than last year's top 6, but I rarely see any of the contestants "letting go and giving it their all" as Paula keeps harping about to Clay. I can't figure out if it's complacency on the part of the contestants, lack of practice due to the bazillion PR appearances and the time required to do the fluff pieces, or really crappy theme blocks that limit their ability to showcase their talents.

About the performances:

Kim Locke: Rapid becoming one of my faves. After being in the cellar, she's really upped the ante and is starting to deliver the goods. I just hope that the first part of the season doesn't come back to bite her in the butt. Great version of the song, love her smoky, sultry voice.

Clay Aiken - Just thought he nailed it tonight. I like that he seems to really take the constructive criticism he receives from the judges to heart (toning down the facial tics and showing a different side of his singing as examples). ITA that he probably has more of a Broadway style of singing, but I think he has more raw talent than any of the contestants out there. He also seems to remain true to himself and not put on a fake front.

Josh - Oh my Lord. I have said from day one he should have competed on Nashville Star, but his performance last night would have gotten him booted from that show. Easily the worst of the night. Painful to watch, painful to listen. He has talent but is SO the fish out of water in this competition.

Trenyce - She did an okay job, there's just something about her style of singing or delivery that bugs me. I agreed with Paula that she just got out there and performed. I just think there's something lacking in her, something that Tamyra Gray had (though I can't put my finger on it). I also agree that she's emotionless and guarded. Not bad, not in the top three.

Carmen - So much better than last week, still not good enough. I couldn't believe how Randy just flayed her performance. I can't help but wonder how much of that shredding was the result of his being ticked that Kim C., who he selected as his wild card, got the boot last week and Carmen stayed. While I agree with a lot of what he said, he was way out of line in how he said it. If it had been me onstage, after the past three weeks of his brutal comments, I'd have told him off, but then, that's just me. :p

Ruben - Still a great singer, but I'm getting bored. That may be partly that I'm not crazy about R&B singing, but I'd like to see a little more variance from him, and less warbling over the melody.

My rankings:

Top 3: Kim Locke, Clay Aiken, Ruben Studdard (I can't place these in any order as far as talent goes I think they're even, ranking them would be sheerly a matter of my own personal preference in musical genres).
4. Trenyce
5. Carmen
6. Josh

If eliminations were to be based strictly on last night, Josh would get the boot. For the whole competition, Carmen should go back to the Von Trappe estate and don Tara's yodeling communion dress.

I have this fear that although Carmen or Josh should go, that Trenyce is going to get the boot tonight. I hope I'm proven wrong.

Also, could they please please please get rid of the celebrity judges? They rarely say anything truly constructive and destroy the comraderie and bantering between Randy, Paula, and Simon.

One last thing: Anyone else pick up on how now Fox is milking the possible canoodling between Clay and Carmen for all it's worth?

G

guinevere

ha ha!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Carmen should go back to the Von Trappe estate and don Tara's yodeling communion dress. [/quote]

LOL!:lol:

guinevere

C

CB1AB2

Re: ha ha!

I REALLY LIKE JOSH BUT THIS WAS NOT A GOOD PERFORMANCE FOR HIM=

CARMEN SHOULD NOT HAVE MADE IT THIS FAR=SHE SHOULD GO THIS WEEK

cb

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:purple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">I had a meeting this evening but returned to my gleeful daughter, who informed me that finally CARMEN was voted off the show! Finally, they got it RIGHT. No surprises in the bottom three: Carmen, Josh & Trenyce. The others need to use the next two weeks to solidify their fan base.</span>

S

Show 42

I have a feeling that Josh stayed because of his "Marine" image....very patriotic. I would have kept Carmen and voted Trenyce off. My top two are Clay and Kim. I'm fine with either one of them winning. I still can't figure out how Ruben held out over so many others. I don't see a lot of talent there at all. 42

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:teal;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">I think in comparison to the amazing performances of Clay and Kim, Ruben's star wattage was sorely diminished. I really thought that Trenyce did a better job last night than Ruben.</span>

G

guinevere

Hooray!!!

I was convinced that the Teflon Goat would skate through again this week and send Trenyce packing - I'm so glad that America finally got it right!

Last week there was the rumor that a bunch of Kim Caldwell haters were packing in the votes for Carmen in order to keep her there longer than Kim - I thought it was silly, but maybe all those people abandoned Carmen this week now that Kim C is gone?? Whatever, I don't care, I'm just glad she's gone gone gone!

guinevere

R

RealtorGal

Re: Hooray!!!

<span style="color:navy;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Even in two hours, a bunch of anyone haters could not really make a difference in a vote of 15 MILLION PEOPLE! </span> :D

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">You know what would really be fair? If they were to be able to block a phone number after someone has made a call from that number and voted.</span>

G

guinevere

re: American Idol 4/23

Re: telephone blocking

I agree about the telephone blocking - I'm sure there has to be some way that they can block numbers after the first vote. Of course, people with additional numbers in their homes (cell phones etc) could still vote more than once, and I guess people could call all their non-AI friends and say "please call this number right now!", but it wouldn't have anywhere near the impact on voting that the repeat votes do.

Have to say, though, once I figured out the game of it, if there's anyone I really don't want to see go, I hit redial for a whole hour. ;) I don't think it's a good system, but I don't want someone I think did a good job to suffer for it.

guinevere

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: re: American Idol 4/23

1.Clay - I dunno... there was a bit of broadway this time... still the best/clearest voice of the bunch... and he's just so sweet and loveable...
2.Ruben - I didn't like the song but DANG he sounds good!
3.Kim - Twas ok... Simon's right... watch out boys!
4.Trenyce - Don't like her singing... she has no real style... but she sounded good
5.Josh - Disco and now this :( he'll come back and wow me next week, I have faith
6.Carmen - I'm glad she got booted

R

realistic51

Glad she's gone!

Well, here's my take:

Kim - She has a strong voice and is starting to feel more at ease. It shows. I like her.

Clay - I love his singing. It's so strange to see such a powerful, pure tonal quality come out of such a skinny person.

Trenyce - The MOST emotionless singer. She may have a pretty good voice, but there's nothing behind it. She just stands there and sings the song.

Josh - That was horrible but then again, with the exception of country night, he's been out of his element. He does belong on Nashville Star, but hey, I like Buddy Jewell...LOL!!!

Ruben - You know I really enjoyed his performance and the song. I've never heard the song before so I didn't know there was a chorus. And after hearing the women demolish Celine Dion songs, I'm glad I didn't know.

Now, as far as predictable goes...

You know, Luther Vandross and Barry White have made FORTUNES on being predictable. I think Kim, Clay and Ruben are all very talented and all very predictable. I don't see where that's a BAD thing at all. Since I appreciate all kinds of music, took voice lessons for 15 years, have played classical piano my entire life, I like predictability. Celine Dion is predictable and she's made millions. Korn is predictable. Madonna. System of a Down. Hey, Paula Abdul was predictable herself.

So when Simon, Paula and Randy start talking about taking risks, I'd like to see them say that to someone who has made millions doing what has worked the best for them. JMHO!!! LOL!!!

I was glad to see Carmen finally go. I hope Trenyce goes next week or Josh. Either one, I don't care!! Just leave me with Clay, Ruben and Kim. Then I don't care who wins!:rollin:

G

guinevere

Re: Glad she's gone!

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Now, as far as predictable goes...

You know, Luther Vandross and Barry White have made FORTUNES on being predictable. I think Kim, Clay and Ruben are all very talented and all very predictable. I don't see where that's a BAD thing at all. Since I appreciate all kinds of music, took voice lessons for 15 years, have played classical piano my entire life, I like predictability. Celine Dion is predictable and she's made millions. Korn is predictable. Madonna. System of a Down. Hey, Paula Abdul was predictable herself.[/quote]

I agree that many, many people have made gazillions of dollars by doing the same thing forever - but I have a few thoughts on this:

1. I think the issue of predictability in this competition comes up because the producers are trying to force the singers to perform outside of their comfort range and show different signs of their talent. That wouldn't be a desirable direction to go on an album, necessarily (especially a debut album), but it's a major part of the format of the show, so I think the judges' comments about it are appropriate.

2. The artists your mentioned all have unique sounds (whether you like them or not is another issue) - Barry White continuously doing his Barry White thing is very different from Ruben always doing <em>his</em> Barry White thing. And the most predictable thing about Madonna is her constant reinvention - her very unpredictability!

Of the 5 remaining, here's where I put them in terms of predictability, going from one extreme to the other, with different results:

Ruben - Very predictable, but also very good. On his worst day he's better than almost anyone who's been in the competition. I can see why he is reluctant to change.

Clay - Clay has been taking the comments to heart and is trying to make some changes, but the audience seems to respond best to him (and the producers, judging by what clips they show of his performances), when he's belting out the ballads.

Kim - I find that Kim has been raising her game, as it were, slowly and steadily. She's not unpredictable in terms of how she chooses to interpret a song necessarily, but several weeks in a row she has knocked it out of the ballpark - and clearly the judges didn't predict that!!

Josh - I feel for the guy. He's trying to move outside of his comfort zone (country), but when he strays too far, it's a disaster. His performing ability seems tied to his country roots.

Trenyce - I find her to be incredibly unpredictable! I find that she has taken the most risks stylistically, and perhaps because of the "masked" quality Simon talked about, it hasn't seemed like she's been moving away from 'her' style - we just don't know what her style is yet. Also, her performance quality is extremely unpredictable - when she's on, she could give any of the 'top 3' a run for their money; when she's off, well, we notice the fact that she doesn't have a discernible style of her own.

guinevere

H

heyang

Re: Glad she's gone!

Don't recall which week it will happen, but eventually the theme mode goes away. The contestants will have to sing 2 songs - one of their choices and the other will be chosen by the judges. Usually the judges pick something that suits their voice, but is also challenging to the particular singer.

If I recall from AI-1, the final 2 sing the same songs which have been written just for the show. Real side by side comparison.

I am not looking forward to the stupid sponsor ads during the last few shows - they become longer and more frequent.

I'm glad Carmen is gone. Josh should be next. If not him, then Trenyce.