Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ...even monkeys fall from trees...

Rinkside

...even monkeys fall from trees...

there's an old japanese saying about how even monkeys fall from trees. i was alerted about this youtube clip from my niece which featured kim yu-na practicing jumps on her compromised back condition. It made me think of the old proverb and i think if you watch it yourself, you'll understand what i mean.

Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8IITrtJOc

Custom Title
    How horrible----skating with her back in that condition. You could see the pain in her face.

Custom Title
    Why doesn't she rest? She is going to end up having to have back surgery.

I could only bring myself to watch half of that. That is so depressing.

Tripping on the Podium
    I know injuries have been around the sport forever and also know that skaters have skated through them forever. But it has never been this bad before. I blame CoP. These issues have got to be addressed. What good is pushing the technical envelope if it only results in a roster of skaters too injured to compete?

Thanks Speedy.

Skating Freak Barbie
    That is heartbreaking. I'm selfish enough to want her to take it easy, rest, and recover, because I want to be able to watch her for a long time. How very sad and depressing to see this.

Custom Title
    That's horrible. Poor little girl. Can't understand why she must practice in that condition. If she does want to be on ice herself (which I doubt), then why doen't her coach and other adults - her parents! - tell her to to go and have some rest and medical treatment? So sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Kati View Post
    If she does want to be on ice herself (which I doubt), then why doen't her coach and other adults - her parents! - tell her to to go and have some rest and medical treatment? So sad!
    Even if she does (heart of an athlete), there is a point where one must intervene.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaniBu View Post
    Even if she does (heart of an athlete), there is a point where one must intervene.
    ITA.

Custom Title
    What is the age of adulthood in Korea? Letting a 16-year old suffer like this strikes me as child abuse -- and I think a few people should be jailed!

Medalist
    She wasn't grabbing her back, maybe it was just a bad day. She looks a little on the thin side like she has just grown some and can't get her feet under her.
    I hope she takes time to recover from whatever ails her and skates her best this season.

Down With It
    Is it that she's just that driven, or is that how hard the South Korean fed. or coach pushes her? She shouldn't have been skating that day IMO. She was really struggling out there...reminds me of watching Kwan practice in Torino.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by michaela77 View Post
    there's an old japanese saying about how even monkeys fall from trees. i was alerted about this youtube clip from my niece which featured kim yu-na practicing jumps on her compromised back condition. It made me think of the old proverb and i think if you watch it yourself, you'll understand what i mean.

Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8IITrtJOc

That was taken WAY back from now :o KBS,a Korean braodcasting station, made a special documentary film of Yu-Na Kim's winning,"KBS Special "The Lark Ascending". I also have watched this and it was planned at least a month before the Grand Prix Final. Do you see the subtitle "D-8" in the beginning? The D-Day was the Final.
    The Korean narrator says, "Yu-Na is having a bad day. She seems upset to have less control of her body than any other day, Her mom suggests finishing practice earlier, But Yu-Na does not give up and completes the practice of 2 hours."

You can see the whole 80-minuite film.
    If you want to watch it, (no traslation) here you go :

http://irue.cafe24.com/zeroboard/zbo...sc=asc&no=5226

Yu-Na's now spending 7 hours a day for the back injury treatment exclusively.
    Last edited by blueham; 01-12-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Down With It
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to say people are making it a bigger deal than it is? (I wouldn't be surprised).

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to say people are making it a bigger deal than it is? (I wouldn't be surprised).
    I'm saying that she's not practicing at this moment. I just think this is an enough answer for the question asking why Yu-Na is still practicing even with the injury.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast