...even monkeys fall from trees... | Golden Skate

...even monkeys fall from trees...

michaela77

Rinkside
there's an old japanese saying about how even monkeys fall from trees. i was alerted about this youtube clip from my niece which featured kim yu-na practicing jumps on her compromised back condition. It made me think of the old proverb and i think if you watch it yourself, you'll understand what i mean.

Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG8IITrtJOc

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How horrible----skating with her back in that condition. You could see the pain in her face.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I could only bring myself to watch half of that. That is so depressing.

2ndmark

Rinkside
I know injuries have been around the sport forever and also know that skaters have skated through them forever. But it has never been this bad before. I blame CoP. These issues have got to be addressed. What good is pushing the technical envelope if it only results in a roster of skaters too injured to compete?

Thanks Speedy.

Kasey

Medalist
That is heartbreaking. I'm selfish enough to want her to take it easy, rest, and recover, because I want to be able to watch her for a long time. How very sad and depressing to see this.

Kati

On the Ice
That's horrible. Poor little girl. Can't understand why she must practice in that condition. If she does want to be on ice herself (which I doubt), then why doen't her coach and other adults - her parents! - tell her to to go and have some rest and medical treatment? So sad! :no:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
If she does want to be on ice herself (which I doubt), then why doen't her coach and other adults - her parents! - tell her to to go and have some rest and medical treatment? So sad! :no:

:agree: Even if she does (heart of an athlete), there is a point where one must intervene.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
What is the age of adulthood in Korea? Letting a 16-year old suffer like this strikes me as child abuse -- and I think a few people should be jailed!

Cal Girl

Rinkside
She wasn't grabbing her back, maybe it was just a bad day. She looks a little on the thin side like she has just grown some and can't get her feet under her.
I hope she takes time to recover from whatever ails her and skates her best this season.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Is it that she's just that driven, or is that how hard the South Korean fed. or coach pushes her? She shouldn't have been skating that day IMO. She was really struggling out there...reminds me of watching Kwan practice in Torino.

blueham

Spectator
there's an old japanese saying about how even monkeys fall from trees. i was alerted about this youtube clip from my niece which featured kim yu-na practicing jumps on her compromised back condition. It made me think of the old proverb and i think if you watch it yourself, you'll understand what i mean.

That was taken WAY back from now :eek: KBS,a Korean braodcasting station, made a special documentary film of Yu-Na Kim's winning,"KBS Special "The Lark Ascending". I also have watched this and it was planned at least a month before the Grand Prix Final. Do you see the subtitle "D-8" in the beginning? The D-Day was the Final.
The Korean narrator says, "Yu-Na is having a bad day. She seems upset to have less control of her body than any other day, Her mom suggests finishing practice earlier, But Yu-Na does not give up and completes the practice of 2 hours."

You can see the whole 80-minuite film.
If you want to watch it, (no traslation) here you go :) :

http://irue.cafe24.com/zeroboard/zb...sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=5226

Yu-Na's now spending 7 hours a day for the back injury treatment exclusively.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to say people are making it a bigger deal than it is? (I wouldn't be surprised).

blueham

Spectator
I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to say people are making it a bigger deal than it is? (I wouldn't be surprised).

I'm saying that she's not practicing at this moment. I just think this is an enough answer for the question asking why Yu-Na is still practicing even with the injury.

Y

ykcami

Well

This clip was edited from whole documentary
and the scene in this clip is before GPF.
Yu-na was a bad day in that practice.
Also, she was just upset about her jump failures.

Yu-na is treated for back injury and go through rehab these days.

Last edited:

Skye

On the Ice

I understand both Korean and Japanese, but IMO that proverb does not apply to this case at all and neither can I 'enjoy' the clip. As previously mentioned, the dialogue shows that it was filmed way before Yu-Na was diagnosed with the back injury so it's not like she was ignoring doctor's orders. Though she was clearly going through an off-day, she probably still pushed through practice because rink conditions in Korea aren't any better than Japan. Just a week before the Grand Prix Final, she had to make the best of what little ice time available before the competition.

namuday

Spectator
Mmm.

I usulally lurked on this board, however, this time I have to show up because I uploaded this clip.

I uploaded the clip on youtube from compeletely different reason with you michaela77, though I don't exactly understand what you're saying, "even monkeys fall from trees." I uploaded it beacuse it shows Yu-Na's identity as a figure skater, what makes her, from the country where a figure skating is nothing, stand out as one of the best skaters in ther world. The clip is cut from a recently aired documentary "The Lark Ascending", dealing with Yu-Na's journey between TEB and GPF. As I explained on youtbue, it was 8 days before GPF, when she was about to feel back pain.(And I also explained her mom did suggest to stop the practice, but Yu-Na insisted to go on.)

Though many people seems to feel this scene depressing and horrible, it moves me more than any thing else throughout the documentary. I first knew Yu-Na as a little girl who practiced triple jumps in devesatingly empty rinks several years ago. It is heard that she persists on practicing even without wiping tears when she can't do jumps as she wants, and at such time she is so determined and concentrated on herself that even her mother or coach cannot intervene. While my heart really breaks seeing her tears, I see also her determination and pride as a figure skater- which I belive the momentum that brings her here without much support.

I'm not saying she must go on practcing with injury to win competitions. I want her skate healthy and long more than any thing else -that's why I welcome the news she is gonna move to Canada, which will provide her better environment. However, I just admire her strong-willed determination for improvement and her talent blossoms in such a poor envirioment. And that is what I want to see people from the clip. (Maybe I didn't explain too much.)

A big thank you to Namuday, Inloveagain, Ykcami and Blueham for giving us the context of this clip. Your contributions are very welcome and appreciated. :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm saying that she's not practicing at this moment. I just think this is an enough answer for the question asking why Yu-Na is still practicing even with the injury.

That's good to hear. She needs to recover and then bounce back into it. Good luck to her because she's gonna need it.