Article where Mark Lund making controversial comments on Weir, Lysacek | Golden Skate

Article where Mark Lund making controversial comments on Weir, Lysacek

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I find Mark Lund making comments like that outrageous. I am dissapointed a former major skating magazine editor would say things like that.

I do too and I wrote to protest (using the address on his website). Apparently he has issued a counterreply - not sure where it is. But he doesn't retract or apologize for anything.

I also tried to write to Nancy Kerrigan, but apparently her mailbox is full (of protests, I hope). She was also upholding Evan's classic masculinity over Johnny's supposed fagginess.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Did you see Kerrigan's skating show where he said these things? I am glad you wrote a protest. I am not a Weir fan but reading something like this makes me feel sorry for him. He has to deal with attacks on his sexuality and his skating style not being "butch" enough when his skating career is going through a bit of a down period as it is.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
People can choose to focus on themselves or the greater good. It is up to them. There is a way it is and a way it should be in many cases. The question is, are you at a pride march or are you in a competition? Are you expressing your ideals or the ideals of the sport? When is it selfish and when is it helpful? Do you draw a line or make every exception?

Kat Witt tried to express herself and now there is a rule. ??? What is this all really saying, and where is the attention really being focused? And why is there so much attention brought to this in the first place. Isn't this figure skating?

Blades of glory is about to make a point I don't think many are going to like. There will be the ability to laugh at topics that in this context are quite serious, what is it going to say about what is sport and performance and what is pure self promotion. Is there and should there be a line drawn????

I like these things being brought up, but then again I watch ET, like Britney Spears, etc....what do they have to do with the sports events themselves? But is all this necessary, is it detracting, distracting and damaging???

Mark Lund sounds like a twerp in this case, but I don't believe for a second that Johnny picked something like "Christ" to portray not expecting / anticipating / desiring "attention." And is that attention FS or JW? Is he competing in a sport or just trying to take center stage? His skating performances would indicate one is more important then the other - is that OK?

waxel

Final Flight
Johnny Weir is 22 years old. He does not deserve this kind of vitriol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny is Johnny is Johnny. I don't follow his outside life and I only know what posters say about him. His name is not in the 'Daily News' gossip columns.

Skaters only get headlines when:
They win an Olympics; Get arrested for DUI, arrange of knee cracking; take part in a plot to cheat the results; abuse children etc. and that goes for Judges, Coaches, Publishers, Former skaters; etc.

I'm not sure what Lund is worried about. There's plenty of reasons for the decline in interest of figure skating.

I think some of the 'gay' community would like Johnny to come out publicly. I think the 'straight' community couldn't care less except some salvation believers but even with them, it would not have to do with skating.

But comming out for most 'gays' is not all that easy.

A gay young boy or girl has to: 1. Admit to oneself that he/she is gay. 2. Must tell close friends. 3. Must tell parents, siblings and relatives. 4. Must tell teachers and job employers. 5. Must realize and accept the consequences.

I'm not sure what Lund is worried about.

Joe

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Skaters only get headlines when:
They win an Olympics; Get arrested for DUI, arrange of knee cracking; take part in a plot to cheat the results; abuse children etc. and that goes for Judges, Coaches, Publishers, Former skaters; etc.

I don't think is is the issue of "headlines in the world media" as much as just trying to get all the attention in FS focused on him. And is Johnny really trying to "express" himself, or just get all the attention he can? "Using the homosexual movement to the advantage of Johnny." Has he earned that ability" to promote himself via the gay community? Taking advantage of something as you try to ride the fence.

Your right, it does take a lot to "come out" in just about ANYTHING that could be taken negatively, homosexuality may be the hardest. But with that bad comes a good, and JW is using the good without going through the bad, in Lund's mind - IMO.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I saw the show -- and e-mailed a protest to Jerry Solomon's outfit (who produced it),. but have not gotten a response. What sickened me about Lund's response is that he totally ignores the forum he chose to make his remarks. After all, I am sure that there are editorial magazines and/or chat or message boards where people discuss the issue of what "celebrities" might or might not "owe" to the "communities that support them", but that issue is irrelevant to what will/won't (or should/shouldn't) happen at Nats.

Would it be OK if someone said that "I don't want Sasha representing me" because she doesn't provide enough "support" for the Jewish community? Or that Kristi and MK shouldn't represent this country because they aren't "American" enough?

gio

Medalist
I don't care if he is gay or not!!! I don't care if he wears a CCCP jacket and has communist ideas!!! We have to try accept other people, other ideas.
I think that his exibitionism bothers a lot of people. He always wants to be a primadonna. But he is a great skater. Same as Evan.
:disagree: to the offensive words used against him in all those years. Go Johnny!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I just wish that people would pay no attention to whether someone is gay or not.
It really doesn't matter except to the person him or herself. I can like a skater or not and it does not matter to me which they are. I really think those that you call effiminate are beautiful skaters and want to see all of them and not put them down for their sexuality. Who are we to judge?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT post entire articles. PLEASE follow board guidelines! It's not that hard!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
To me this is bringing on a whole new "can of worms," separation of Church and FS. And before I would say it is fine to correlate the 2, this would also give right to expressing negatively toward just as much as being positive toward Church. IOW, if a Los Vegas Show girl should not be a part of FS, then should Jesus be? And if someone says "good," then another should have the right to say "bad."

I am really in agreement with the thoughts and ideas here, particularly the irrelevancy. ITA. But I reiterate, there is a factor of what should be and what really is. Making what should be irrelevant, just as irrelevant as what really is.

What JW does is fine IMO, the question is WHY he does it and should it be a part of FS.

The thought that I do wonder about is "offensive" and that "notions" involvement in FS. How can Kat Witt's "offensiveness" be giving a rule against when depiction of "Christ" or "give me attention because I may or may not be gay" be any different? Why is it OK either way and why is it a controversial part of FS anyway? It should be irrelevant IMO too, but it is a topic regardless, it does offend and it appears that it is used as selfish self promotion rather then just expressing ones self anyway.

IMO, Johnny is not just being himself as much as he is trying to get attention by "using hot topics." That is the most controversy IMO, and although I don't agree with Lund's comments I do see why he might feel offended and feel like a movement he believes in is being used for one persons benefit. And the way JW has been skating lately, I see why "his skating can't speak for it's self." Lund and Wier both have the right to voice their opinions whether anyone agrees???

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Just who is Mark Lund, anyway?

I'm curious - was Mark Lund out of the closet at age 22? Just askin'.
Now I need to go Google the guy and find out just who the heck he was before he started judging that silly skating show last year.
Way to support a National Champion. :disapp:
xoxo
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mark Lund ran IFS... that's where I've known him from. He wrote a book after 02 about bad judging... but I couldn't tell you anything about him.

And I don't know how we got into the Jesus subject through this... I don't read Lund using it as a reason. :rolleye: but I guess it had to come up sooner or later... just remember we're supposed to steer clear of religious debates...

Last edited:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
And I don't know how we got into the Jesus subject through this... I don't read Lund using it as a reason. :rolleye: but I guess it had to come up sooner or later... just remember we're supposed to steer clear of religious debates...
It is not the debate of religion, it is the debate of what does and does not belong in FS. The reason it was brought up is the quote below and how Johnny appears to "play both sides of the fence."

Lund -
"I can't wrap my head around how overly out he is without saying he's out," Lund said. "I'm sorry, but I don’t think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of. … And who designs these outfits? You cannot compare yourself to the Lord's savior as a figure skater."

It's not about Jesus and it's not about religion. It's about Lund and his belief that Johnny is gay because he is not like Clint Eastwood, and he won't get off the fence.

Joe

Tempest in a teapot. How many people in the world have ever heard of Mark Lund?

Johnny is the U.S. figure skating champion, at least until next week. If you don't like it, buckle on your spurs and beat him in Spokane. :yes:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if Evan comes to Spokane with a cowboy routine I will seriously die laughing just because of you MM!