Article where Mark Lund making controversial comments on Weir, Lysacek | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Article where Mark Lund making controversial comments on Weir, Lysacek

Dennis

Rinkside
The thing with Johnny this season is the break up of a relationship over the summer. I think his heart is hurting and his head isn't entirely in his skating. For that i'm giving him a break. If his goal is the Olympics then the first post Olympics season is the one that you can afford to not be on top of it all yet. I don't think its his other off ice endeavours that have made him stray from his training i think its the fact he's hurting that has made himfill his time with other things and be around people instead of having the pretty lonely hard training time. when you're feeling that hurt you need to be around people not on your own.

ant

And should you be talking about his private life? Have I missed something?

antmanb

Record Breaker

I'm not saying anything that he hasn't written in his online journal or discussed in interviews....i don't know him personally so the only information i have on him is the information in the public domain.

Ant

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

Depends. I think that Johnny's private life is subject to discussion only to the same extent that the private lives of other skaters are also subject to discussion. Does anyone recall what kind of discussion was carried on about the various marital problems between Usova and Zhulin, and the effect (if any) on their skating?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker

Here inlays the whole point, should we?
And who is bringing their personal life to the forefront? - Media or skater or both or is that "gossip" something that we should just save for the pros and let this class and prior be free of this until the pros?

It does not seem like all of the skaters and fans agree on this. Some skaters are like "Ally Sheedy - AKA Allison - in the Breakfast Club pouring their purse out inviting / forcing us in," and others don't seem to "beg" for it as much.

We as the fans inevitably have to draw the line for them. Save it for the periodicals / publications and forums, or go and inundate the televised skating events with this "gossip" as well?

Well that is my Q anyway - one of them.
Depends. Does anyone recall what kind of discussion was carried on about the various marital problems between Usova and Zhulin, and the effect (if any) on their skating?
:agree: :agree: :scratch:
Yes, were they asking for the attention, were they throwing the info out on the table? Or is it like when a reporter asked Miki (not an outspoken person trying to draw any attention to her personal life type of lady IMO) about her father's death years before. When do we "need to know" and are just plane getting diverted by our own media frenzy OR the skaters themselves trying to bring their personal lives to the main attention?

And now I just "have to" know about Johnny:laugh: , was it Paris???? I am ashamed to ask, But should it have been a question? I 'spose it did effect skating / training....? But this is not new with Johnny is it? With him there are always people looking into his personal matters regardless of correlation to skating, he is just like a boy band member that might ask for this attention no matter what he did for a living...? Is that OK?

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
... Yes, were they asking for the attention, were they throwing the info out on the table? Or is it like when a reporter asked Miki (not an outspoken person trying to draw any attention to her personal life type of lady IMO) about her father's death years before. When do we "need to know" and are just plane getting diverted by our own media frenzy OR the skaters themselves trying to bring their personal lives to the main attention?

I think whenever we question why a skater is not "up to par", the idea that something in their personal life might be a distraction is going to be discussed -- rightly or wrongly (and it has already been hypothesized that one of the reasons behind Johnny's poor skating this season has been his personal life.) In Miki's case, for example, I recall a lot of people thinking that her poor skate following this interview might have been affected by her emotional reaction to this question. My point is simply that this is something that affects a lot of skaters --- regardless of (actual or suspected) sexual orientation.

Furthermore, I think this is also comparatively inescapable. That neither party ever discussed any of the "personal problems" that led to the split doesn't prevent skating boards from speculating madly why Michelle parted ways with Frank, for example.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
--- regardless of (actual or suspected) sexual orientation.
:agree: :agree: :agree:
I really hope that it has been clarified from my standpoint how this is irrelevant in its self. I only ever meant this as a "attention" factor. The "Attention" regardless of what is the distraction from the skating. And in that particular case does have NOTHING to do with skating in its self, but rather the attention detracting from skating and "ideally" having nothing to do with it.

Also IF a skater brings something like this to the attention of the fan / viewer is that really OK? This is a question not presented rhetorically in my mind but I do have a stance on my feelings toward this type of distraction, JMO.

So my feeling on this is that if it doesn't have a DIRECT correlation to skating and the effect there in, then it should be averted as a topic? Is that the take? I know I didn't do a good job of expressing that earlier and accept blame, but wonder if that is a consensus or "free game for anyone to go off" on anything / topic they want????

antmanb

Record Breaker
And now I just "have to" know about Johnny:laugh: , was it Paris???? I am ashamed to ask, But should it have been a question? I 'spose it did effect skating / training....? But this is not new with Johnny is it? With him there are always people looking into his personal matters regardless of correlation to skating, he is just like a boy band member that might ask for this attention no matter what he did for a living...? Is that OK?

As far as i can rememberJohnny talked about taking his friend Paris with him to Japan as support to help him through the rough summer he'd had...i'm guessing that for that reason Paris is not the significant other Johnny broke up with.

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
As far as i can rememberJohnny talked about taking his friend Paris with him to Japan as support to help him through the rough summer he'd had...i'm guessing that for that reason Paris is not the significant other Johnny broke up with.

Ant
Thanks, I feel bad because it shouldn't really matter, particularly enough that I feel I need facts, but I just got sucked in to the gossip portion of my curiosity. Was wondering if the "SO" remained friends and assumed that role in each others lives, maybe that would help JW's emotions too - hence skating???? Sorry for asking, but thanks for the info.:agree: ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny sited a break up as a reason for skating poorly, but I remember that being an issue either last season or two seasons ago... but it seems that boards and fans have continued to push that as a reason (that or I'm crazy and missed something lol)

but the only reasons I've heard for his 'bad' skating this season are injuries, fatigue, and how he percieves his treatment by the press/USFSA/skating fans.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Johnny sited a break up as a reason for skating poorly, but I remember that being an issue either last season or two seasons ago... but it seems that boards and fans have continued to push that as a reason (that or I'm crazy and missed something lol)

but the only reasons I've heard for his 'bad' skating this season are injuries, fatigue, and how he percieves his treatment by the press/USFSA/skating fans.

I think that must be one of the reasons the "excuses" question must have come up. And I have to wonder if that at all is directed at "his angels" and if he feels their attention is going the wrong direction of focus. If so that would make me happy that he felt that way, but IMO that would be a complete change from anything he has directed focus from in the past. It seems more like all of the focus he has directed (be that inadvertent or on purpose) has backfired and he is looking at trying to change a lot of perception, possibly blaming the attention as well, at the same time this is going to get him more attention. But at least this seems to be centered around his skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think the Angels are to blame, he seems to be really fond of his supporters... and they aren't as rabid as some other fan groups are as far as being vocal during a comeptition, they are pretty respectful to the event, which is a blessing to the rest of us who try not to get caught up in any fan group thing... you know they're there by their signs, but they don't try to freak other skaters out or become so 'supportive' that they throw off Johnny... nationals the last two years he has really been great about acknowledging them after his skates...

antmanb

Record Breaker

I don't recall any mentions of breaks up a season or two ago. I read the stuff about the break up in his online journal referring to the break up being this summer and again in the Kathleen Bangs interview. I think he did mention that the relationship was going for about two years so there may have been another break up over two years ago, maybe?

Ant

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I don't think the Angels are to blame, he seems to be really fond of his supporters...
That just does not surprise me.:laugh:
and they aren't as rabid as some other fan groups are as far as being vocal during a comeptition, they are pretty respectful to the event, which is a blessing to the rest of us who try not to get caught up in any fan group thing...
Is that really happening? e.g. "hey batter batter batter batter, swing... batter." Don't they kick those types out? Am I just submerged into my own little world and have no clue what the audience is doing? Crowd participation in team sports I can see this as somewhat / sometimes acceptable (NOT something like the Broncos fans throwing snowballs, I will never get over that extreme disappointment in my fan base) but during an individual or pairs sport where .... I don't need to try and explain I hope. But during FS!:eek: That is the most tacky thing I can think of.

I guess now that I think about it, I do recall something to that nature being announced preceding events.

Anyway, good to know that "Johnny's Angels" respect the balance of FS and all that is appropriate for "on ice" and when it is "off ice."

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Johnny discussed more of his personal life and accompanying issues during our interview but I cut it out, telling him that giving his critics any details about that subject would only end up as a potential "sound bite" that could bite him. I'm all for openness and honesty, but not at the cost of discretion while a skater is still competing. Once they've finished their eligible career, then they can tell it all.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you do get kicked out if you're overly rude... but there are still fan squabbles. I got chewed up and down for not giving a standing O with the rest of the crowd for a certain skater in Portland. I'm not saying all of the fans of that skater are rude and rabid and the like, but it got old real quick.

If you do 'boo' or otherwise ruin the spirit of competition the security asks you to leave... it doesn't happen as much as it probably sounds in my post, but I've read of several instances, and witnessed it happen at nationals a couple of times.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Johnny discussed more of his personal life and accompanying issues during our interview but I cut it out, telling him that giving his critics any details about that subject would only end up as a potential "sound bite" that could bite him. I'm all for openness and honesty, but not at the cost of discretion while a skater is still competing. Once they've finished their eligible career, then they can tell it all.
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap:
Lord praise you....at least I do!

you do get kicked out if you're overly rude...

This reminds me of the story of China's Pairs being laughed at. I don't know if I could have dealt with that. I know I would have said something loudly and likely been kicked out myself for yelling at people laughing. According to the time / year it happened I probably would have gotten into a fight. It really chokes me up to think that could happen to a team that was trying and competing for the first time. If I don't get mad then I would just cry for them. I am so happy Bin has comeback and Kicked A**:rock:

I felt the same way about the Standing O at COI. But I was mad at myself for not being first. :cool: but I must confess as soon as I thought to stand I realized my Butt was asleep / hurt and the clipboard I was taking notes on had fallen between my feet. Johnny, your excuses are wearing off on me:laugh: j/k. sometimes excuses are nothing more then a truthful response to a question of why. :agree: And sometimes they are given without any provocation.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't recall any mentions of breaks up a season or two ago. Ant

I don't follow Johnny's career as much as I follow others, but I know we've been discussing his personal woes a lot longer than just this season... and I am pretty sure it was nationals either last year or in Portland that he mentioned going through a rough break up...

maybe I'm going crazy, I dunno :laugh:

Ausrick

Rinkside
Really, this whole thread seems to be more about SeaniBU's angst and personal demons than anything to do with with skating, but I've followed it, as loosely and vaguely and meanderingly as SeaniBU has been in his verbose and mostly unintelligible efforts to make whatever points he claims he's been trying to make all along but still managing to remain misunderstood.. :scratch:

The article itself should have been dismissed in a couple of posts at maximum..with a simple 'Who TF is Lund ?'

The one over-riding thing I feel about all of this discussion as regards Johnny's troubles and excuses and explanations, is that I think he's been incredibly courageous and composed since the Olympics hype and the subsequent follow up that has clearly nearly destroyed him.

As to his 'personal stuff', I'm assuming he's recently broken up with a guy (Shock ! Horror !) and that's knocked him around quite a bit. It's bad enough for any 'normal' late teen/early 20's to go through that all that stuff, but for a guy/guy situation, especially one with the relentless spotlight he's had on him must be rough. Sadly, plenty of young people in such a situation and under far less pressure than him, have resorted to taking their lives.

He's one guy I'd cut plenty of slack.

Finally, this piqued my interest :

Johnny discussed more of his personal life and accompanying issues during our interview but I cut it out, .

So, Zanzibar, you interviewed him ? You're Kathleen Bangs ? Am I misreading this ?

Yes, Zanzibar is Kathleen Bangs (oops -- hope I didn't out anyone!) -- the runaway candidate for MVP (Most Valuable (GS) Poster!!