[Article] Joannie Rochette Looking to Three-Peat | Golden Skate

[Article] Joannie Rochette Looking to Three-Peat

R.D.

Record Breaker
(at the Canadian championships, that is.)

With some nice photos as well:

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=328&st=0#entry489

Most interesting tidbit:

When asked about including a triple-triple combination in her long program at nationals next week in Halifax, Rochette said she has not made a decision as to whether she will attempt the triple-flip triple-toe combination. “We are not sure if it [Canadians] is the right time for me to try it,” Rochette said adding that she has been training with a lot of boys at home and has found it very stimulating to work on her triple-triple alongside them.

[snip]

Rochette said that she has been working with sports psychologist, Wayne Halliwell, since the summer to help her focus on her job and to let everything else go. “[I am learning] to take it all less seriously sometimes,” she said. “We talk about skating and nothing else. We don’t want to make excuses about other things in life that might affect our skating because I don’t really believe in that. We just talk about work and skating.”

When asked about competing at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics Rochette said she is very secure in achieving that goal. “I don’t think four years is that long,” she said. “I have lots to work on and definitely the [international] competition is going to be tough with Kimmie, Yu-Na and Mao, but competitions don’t have favorites.”

Taking time off from competing between now and 2010 is not in Rochette’s game plan. “I think you need to keep up with your competition every year because it is a sport that is improving so quickly that you need to stay on top. Otherwise, the other girls will pass you and it will be hard to catch up to them.

“We are not sure if it [Canadians] is the right time for me to try it [3F/3T].”

"Not sure" means "no."

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Yeah, i'm on you with that. Perhaps she'll try it at 4CC which I'm glad that she is indicating that she'll make an apperance there. In addition, I hope she's pushing some of her inbetween elements up to level 4's by worlds.

I do wonder why not do a T.Shaccho-T.Toe since she has one of the best T.Shaccho's in the world. It's a combination I have not seen in a long time.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I am afraid to say

She will never get a 3+3. If she does not dare to try at Canadian nationals, where will she try? She has nothing to lose at Canadian nationals.

I read another interview, M&B are going for a 3t+3t+SEQ at nationals since they found there's nothing to lose.

Joannie, to be, is just too cautious. I am afraid to say, without a 3+3, she is going nowhere in the next 4 years.

euterpe

Medalist
What kills Joannie's chances is her inconsistency, not her lack of a 3/3. She just can't seem to do two good performances in a row. She skated well at the Olympics and then went to pieces at Calgary. This year, she had a bang-up performance at SC, then blew it big time at TEB.

So maybe skating at 4CC is a good idea. If she has a great skate at Nationals, she can bomb at 4CC and that just might set her up for a good Worlds performance.

If she is sure to win the Canadian Nats, Joannie could consider trying the 3x3. Why not? she still will win. I don't think Leung would catch her. Not like US Nats, if Kimmie missed her 3A, there are at least 3 ladies to take advantage of that, and one little spoiler hiding in the wings.

Joe

artsciboy

On the Ice
A 3-3 is only really needed to allow a skater to get 7 triples into the program. Joannie is already doing that with her 2axel-3salchow sequence. Her biggest problem is consistency, pure and simple. Hopefully the sports psychologist has helped her.