2007 Sr. Dance down in numbers | Golden Skate

2007 Sr. Dance down in numbers

sk8addict

On the Ice
After looking at the list of Senior Dance Qualifiers for 2007 US Nationals I noticed that it is four less dance couples than in 2006. Isn't it interesting that the US is doing so well in Dance at the same time we have fewer Seniors competing? Were our Junior dance teams not strong enough to move up? Or did more senior Dance couples break-up or retire? What's up?
There are also 3 less Pairs competeing at the Senior level than in 2006 but both Men and Ladies are up by one.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
8 senior dance teams from last year's 16 are returning to 2007 Nationals. 3 teams have moved up from junior (Davis & White, Miosi & Ponomarev, Elliman & Serebrenik), and Mimi Whetstone & Chris Obzansky are the only new team (another new team had qualified for Nationals but split after Sectionals).

Be sure to check out ice-dance.com's special, comprehensive site for 2007 Nationals:
http://www.ice-dance.com/events-results/reports/usnationals07/index.html

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
After looking at the list of Senior Dance Qualifiers for 2007 US Nationals I noticed that it is four less dance couples than in 2006. Isn't it interesting that the US is doing so well in Dance at the same time we have fewer Seniors competing? Were our Junior dance teams not strong enough to move up? Or did more senior Dance couples break-up or retire? What's up?
There are also 3 less Pairs competeing at the Senior level than in 2006 but both Men and Ladies are up by one.

Both Stiegler & Megerovskiy and Silverstein & O'Meara, who competed last year, are no longer together and therefore not skating at Nationals.

sk8addict

On the Ice
Both Stiegler & Megerovskiy and Silverstein & O'Meara, who competed last year, are no longer together and therefore not skating at Nationals.

I am aware of who is and is not competing from last year.I took last years offical score book and compared it with this years entrants including juniors moving up I just thought USFSA would have had couples willing to move into the emptied spots. There is a whole practice group gone. Is skating in the US down so much that Nationals is getting smaller? Thanks for your response.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here are the number of dance teams over the past 6 years:
2007: 12
2006: 16
2005: 13
2004: 12 (Lang/Tchernyshev withdrew after the CD, leaving 11 teams)
2003: 12
2002: 14

So it seems 12 is the normal number of dance teams at Nationals and the number swells in Olympic years.