Senior Men Qualifying | Golden Skate

Senior Men Qualifying

Rosaleen

Medalist
10 men from last year have byes to the short program which means that 14 men will qualify to the short program. There's only 19 men skating in the qualifying (3 from the original start order are no longer there. The # represents their start # - there wasn't a re-draw so group 3 will only have 4 skaters and group 4 will have 5 skaters.

13 Donald Jackson Sarnia FSC WO
15 Gary Wong Vancouver SC BC
19 Michaël Zatylny Laval CPA QC

Based on what I heard from the Ladies Qualifying, Skate Canada is getting the results up very quickly. Here's a link to the results page for Men's Q's (right now it just has the original start order) http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns07/results/c1.pdf

I don't know yet if I'll have wireless in the arena or if my reports will have to wait for Zamboni breaks for me to post them.

Rosaleen

Medalist
Wireless is working (at least right now) in the arena.

Note on Gary Wong (as I sit waiting for the men to start) - He was invited to compete at the World University Games in Torino, Italy. The games are happening this week and he's been in touch with one of the BC Team Leaders. He had his 1st practise and is very happy to be there although he misses being at Canadians with all his fellow BC Skaters. Evidently (I didn't quite catch all the details) it's quite an honour to be invited - you have to be in the top ?% academically and the top ?% in your sport. He's taking a full course load at Simon Fraser University.

Rosaleen

Medalist
1 Cole Stanbra Castlegar SC BC
Music: Scheherazade wearing black velvet with red & gold down arms - very elegant looking
Some nice chor to the heavy slow music to start and then he moves as the music lightens up / 3f not really steady but I think clean / 3z stepped out quickly but didn't see him land one in warm-up / deathdrop / 3s turns 2a with a hand down / back combo spin - bit sloppy (esp for him - his spins are usually very nice / now the slow part of the music and some edgework and chor / he's not a fast skater but much faster than I remember / 3l wild on landing but clean - was supposed start a combo / 3t2t / we just had a sit spin that wasn't on the cheat sheet / strt ftwrk is mostly with the music as its speeding up and building but needs to build a bit more / 3l turn 2t - think the loop might have been cheated / O ftwrk that I didn't really see / 3s under rot - fell / very nice combo spin to end - went with the music as it slowed and became gentle/ he's very happy with that skate / T 44.95 C 40.17 D 1.00 tot 84.12 /

2 Simon Beaudoin Trois Rivieres Ouest QC
Tangoish - not sure what / wearing black & red /
3t2t / 2z / very nice upright spin with great variations / he's got better speed than Cole, but not the harder jumps it seems / I ust missed a jump - think 3s that something went wrong on / flysit is very nice / music slows now and some chor / 2s / gorgeous spiral - height & extension / 3l fell - might have been under rot / 2t / 2a is nice / camel spin that has great extension starts the combo spin - well done / strt ftwrk music has the crowd (somewhat sparse) clapping - ftwrk was well-chor'd / 3t had it for a second but feet tangled and down he went / another nice combo spin to end the program / T 34.55 C 38.08 D 2.00 Tot 71.63 / currently 2nd /

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
3 Gaven Wilder Richmond Hill FSC CO
Music: - nothing in bio dark grey vest & pants with red shirt
A bit of chor to start and I know this music - sort of chanting but not really and is steadily building / I missed the 1st planned jump / 3z 2t that something went wrong on / 3s hand down / back sit ch sit - back is was fairly weak - front was good / O ftwrk is kind of slow and a bit simple - flows well with music / 1l / 3f under rot - 2ft / music changes again for the strt ftwrk - weird music cuts to my ear - ftwrk is soso // 2a free foot went down very quick / music is now the godfather / nice back camel starts a combo spin / back upright that was wobbly into pretty good xfoot / I started losing track of what he was doing because the music changed again into something completely different that I also recognized but couldn't place. T 27.92 C 38.42 D 1.00 Tot 65.34 / currently 3rd /

Rosaleen

Medalist
4 Jamie Forsythe Kingston SC EOMusic: Journey of Man wearing shades of green top & dark green pants
Some nice chor to start / supposed to be a 3z but didn't really get any height and was a 2z / 3s fell / nice combo spin - if a bit short / 3l light hand down / he doesn't look comfortable out there to me - like he's rushing everything / combo spin / O ftwrk is good / music changes to soft & melodic / spread eagle / loop didn't get off the ice / 3s both hands down / 2a bit wild but clean / 2t2t hopped on landing of 2nd one / back upright combo spin to front that was very wobbly on both - xfoot to end was ok / a nice 2a turns 2a / strt ftwrk is dynamic & with the music - well done / almost looks like he's finally settling into the program / flycam starts the final combo spin that is very well done / T 35.92 C 43.09 D 3.00 Tot 76.01 / currently 2nd

Rosaleen

Medalist
5 Michael Elias Minto SC EO
Music Art on Ice / Carmina Burana wearing black with sash & white shirt /
Muisc barely started and he's over to the referee about something but I'm not sure what - now the music has stopped / Here he goes again / 3f2t - nice & clean - very loose air pos / 3z came out forwarad after 2-1/2 revs / 2a / music is building now as he does O ftwrk / deathdrop with ok spin - positions weren't 'clean' / 3f under rot fell on side / 2z / 2a / comob spin with nice camel and sit ch sit with variaitions ending in open leg then x-foot - excellent spin / 2f / tripped doing some fast tight ftwrk transition / 3s under rot fell on side / sit ch sit is pretty good / str ftwrk is ok - he's working hard at being one with the music - just not quite there yet / there's something very rought about his skating but also something that I found appealing / T 27.37 C 36.59 Ded 3.00 Tot 60.96 / currently 5th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
6 Tyler Cochrane Kingston SC EO
Muisc: Money wearing black one-sleeve top with bits of fabric cut out grey pants
A bit of chor to start / 2z2t - z was high / 2a with a nice soft knee on landing / 3f is nice / combo spin with very good speed & nice sit & xfoot - camel has good speed needs more extension / some stroking around the ice / 3s way forward on landing but stayed clean / 2a2t / nice sit ch sit - very good pos / 2z / 2t landed on 2feet / str tftwrk expresses the music - well done / 3t free foot down very fast / combo spin / O ftwrk is ok - I quite liked it / T 40.25 C 35.08 Tot 75.34 / currently 3rd /

Rosaleen

Medalist
7 Kevin Darwish CPA Les Lames Dargent QCMusic: Once Upon a Time in Mexico / fushia shirt with black stripe effect & black pants
3z bit forward on landing 2t / some chor with anice spread eagle / bailed on what was supposed to be a 3a / strt ftwrk is chor'd to music and he skated it well / 3s / butterflysit with variations - spin got very slow near the end / some chor to the slow panish guitar / some very expressive chor to slower music / 3f2t / 2a / back camel with bit of layover then jumps into a back camel / 2z / 3f / O ftwrk is very enjoyable - with music / 3t forward on landing 2t / flysit spin then death drop / T 50.65 C 48.25 Tot 98.93 / currently 1st /

Rosaleen

Medalist
8 Cédric Demers Sherbrooke 1980 Inc CPA QC
Music: Swing music Brown shirt & darker pants
Some chor to start the program / 3f3t very nicely done - lovely air pos / 3z2t2l / some great chor / bailed on axel / combo spin / music slows now and some chor / ina sprad eagle 3f - nice / spread eagle with some movement to express the music / 2z / 3s / he's skating quite well / sustained combo spin for a long time / 2as / drum beat for the start of combo spin / 2a hops turn 3t fell off edge hand down / strt fwrk / combo sin / strt steps / flyspin / he appeared to be really 'into' his music, and expressed it well / T 54.41 C 55.09 Tot 109.50 / currently 1st /

Rosaleen

Medalist
9 Brennan Martin Minto SC EO
Music: Interview with the Vampire Black leather from head to toe /
Cheat says 3f3t but I didn't see it / My imagination or did I see a 3a - planned sheet says double and that's what I think it was - not fast enough rot for a triple I think / 3z2t / combo spin / 3s / sit ch sit with very good pos / 3z I'm sure was under-rot 2t / 3f 2t? not sure / I'm trying to figure out how to describe his jump landings and it's distracting me from what he's doing - the landings are all very low in the knee with the feeling that he's not confident of them and is ready to put his hand down to save them, but he really doesn't need to - if he could jus tpush the landings out they'd be there / sorry I missed a bunch of his elements but you can get them in the protocol on line at Skate Canada ibn a couple of minutes / T 43.03 C 35.91 Tot 78.94 / Currently 4th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
10 Karolin Metivier St Romuald St Jean Inc CPA QC
Music: All Improvviso Amore - top is black on one side with green curvy lines and white on the other side /
Some chor to start / 3f hand down step out - not quite sure / 3s / he's very expressive and not afraid to use his whole body - moves very well / lutz bailed to big single that landed right on beat of music / sit ch sit with very good pos & speed / some chor / 3l / flysit with soso fly - nice spin / I just realized his top has a roman collar - interesting / diag frtwrk moved very well with music / 2a2t or was it a 3t / 3z hand down turnout / 3s stepout / flyspin - not sure of entrance / O ftwrk is good but seems a bit overpowered by the music / 2a / combo spin with nice pos / T 44.03 C 52.25 Tot 96.28 / currently 3rd / new personal best /

Rosaleen

Medalist
11 William Lindsay Chatham (ON) FSC WO
Music: Memphis belle wearing green military style with gold trim
Some chor to start / 2a / 3t under rot 2ft / 3s 2foot / camel spin has gorgeous extension / 2z2t2l / 3s both hands down / I think I missed a 2a in there / some expressive chor in the strt ftwrk to slower music / now the music picks up and we have swing music for the O ftwrk - again very expressive using whole body / fly forward sit had huge fly bit of trouble controlling the landing and the spin was very slow / 1z / lovely spiral / 2F2t fell out of the toe / one foot upright combo spin / sit ch sit / T 29.11 C 36.17 Ded 2.00 Tot 63.28 / currently 10th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
12 Kurt Stoll Skate Regina SK
Music: Medley of somesort mainly composed by Hans Zimmer black shirt & pants white belt
Some nice chor to soft piano / 2a - 2foot I think & hand down / spread eagle seq into 2f2l / 3s maybe 2ft / music picks up now with heavy drums for O ftwrk - nicely done / 3t under rot 2ft / death drop didn't really have much fly - ok spin / 2a turnout 2t fell out hand down / sit ch sit with variations is soso / S ftwrk expresses the music bit jerky though / 2a not really a clean landing but on one foot - hard to explain / 2f / 2l / combo spin is good ending in nice xfoot / back cam sarts another combo spin - camel is weak but sit & xfoot are good / T 30.21 C 31.83 Ded 1.00 Tot 61.04 / currently 12th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
14 Bryce Davison Hamilton SC WO
Music: Sleepy Hollow soundtrack very dark navy blue or black with gold button down top & cream at neck
Some nice chor to start / 3s2t / back sit ch sit / 2z / 2a2t / 2l bit unsteady on landing / back cam start combo spin to sit ch sit to upright - nice spin / music softens and some chor / 3t clean - bit wild on landing / 2a / back sit ch sit - the 1st sit ch sit must have been part of a combo spin / 3t fell / music picks up for O ftwrk that is very good - flows well and expresses the music / strt ftwrk is very fast & nice edges / spread eagle seq / 3s / back cam sit with edge variations ch sit with variations to upright with edge variations - very nice spin / T 42.66 C 52.18 Ded 1.00 Tot 93.84 / currently 4th / new personal best /

Rosaleen

Medalist
16 Joey Russell Polaris FSC NL
Music: Rhapsody in Blue very dark blue with white 'bib' effect & light blue hanging bit down leg
Some nice chor to start / 3f3t - nicely done - very neat feet / 3s3l / 2a2t2t - last one a tano / sit ch sit / back cam with gorgeous extension starts a combo spin that is chor'd to match the slower section of the music / 3z / 3f wild on landing but clean / 3s / combo spin / music change to piano solo for O ftwrk that moves very well and with music - some nice touches in there / 2a / strt ftwrk that is right with music and expresses it very well with great chor bits / ina into 2a / death drop to end the program / very well done - nice program and well skated / he didn't look like a 1st year senior - just needs the 3a to be really competitive at the top of seniors / T 63.88 C 53.75 Tot 117.63 / currently 1st / new personal best /

Rosaleen

Medalist
17 Brent Anderson Royal Glenora Club AB
Man in the Iron Mask dark grey tshirt type top & pants
Didn't see the very beginning / 3s? not sure / then I missed a jump / 3t fell / combo spin / music slows & nice spiral / 2l / back sit spin then upright combo / 2t / sorry - I'm being disracted somewhat and missed some of his skate / 2f / 3s rot but wft and hands down / back cam sit ch sit upright in a somewhat weak combo spin / strt ftwrk - he's really trying hard to be as dynamic as the music is building but isn't quite succeeding / 2a fell into closing pose / T 31.76 C 33.76 Ded 3.00 Tot 62.52 / currently 13th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
18 Maxime-Billy Fortin CPA Villeneuve QC
Music: Truman Show / Safri Duo wearing turquoise top with 1 side on diag with black & gold over it
3z2t / 3t3t / 3a loose in air hand down / O ftwrk is very good - suits him and with the music / flysit with variations is a little too loose in the pos for me but it's his style / some chor to slower music / 3 f fell / 3l / 3z is nice - good air pos / flysit (again?) with nice 'normal' spin pos / strt ftwrk has crowd clapping along - quite well done / combo spin / 3s landed weirdly on 2feet / 2a2t / combo spin into closing pose / T 58.78 C 45.84 Ded 1.00 Tot 103.62 new personal best / currently 3rd /

Rosaleen

Medalist
20 Sylvain Bouillere Saint Laurent FSC QC
Music: not quite sure black with with outlining a vest effect with stars on it /
Some chor to start / 3l foot down hand down / 3t hand down / some chor / bailed on sal / 3t hand it then fell / combo spin is nicely done - camel needs a bit more expression / now we have some really weird stuff that I can't describe but he's skating to it very well for the strt ftwrk / back to soft music again - I almost get the feel he's a mime / back upright spin ch sit with tuck / 3l2t / 2a2t 2t / 3t think he might have held off putting his hand down / 2a / death drop / music really builds for O ftwrk that has some nice touches / 2a step out / sit ch sit spin to end / I like his sense of music & expression / T 44.77 C 44.83 Ded 2.00 Tot 87.60 new personal best / currently 7th /

Rosaleen

Medalist
21 Craig Finney Calalta FSC AB
Music: Celtic Tiger wearing dark grey vest & pants white shirt /
Some chor to start to the swing type music / 3a hand down but definitely rotated / 2z / a bit of chor / 2s / at 1st glance he seems much improved over last year / combo spin with good pos / bad music cut / 3a rotated but fell / 3t2t wild on landing the 2t / fly forward sit is Huge with great tuck - nice spin / music has really picked up now / 3l / sit ch sit ? / strt ftwrk is quite good fast with music / back camel sit spin to end the program. / T 41.29 C 41.17 Ded 1.00 Tot 81.46 / currently 9th /

Saundy

On the Ice
16 Joey Russell Polaris FSC NL
Music: Rhapsody in Blue very dark blue with white 'bib' effect & light blue hanging bit down leg
Some nice chor to start / 3f3t - nicely done - very neat feet / 3s3l / 2a2t2t - last one a tano / sit ch sit / back cam with gorgeous extension starts a combo spin that is chor'd to match the slower section of the music / 3z / 3f wild on landing but clean / 3s / combo spin / music change to piano solo for O ftwrk that moves very well and with music - some nice touches in there / 2a / strt ftwrk that is right with music and expresses it very well with great chor bits / ina into 2a / death drop to end the program / very well done - nice program and well skated / he didn't look like a 1st year senior - just needs the 3a to be really competitive at the top of seniors / T 63.88 C 53.75 Tot 117.63 / currently 1st / new personal best /

Woooooo! Go Joey!!! :rock: