Senior Men's Qualifying | Golden Skate

Senior Men's Qualifying

bems

Rinkside
Yes!!!!!

Vaughn was all about attack and Joey warmed the audience. Last years 10 had better beware! Even Cynthia threw down the gauntlet!

Both Mens Q and Womens Q were enjoyable they all deserved to be there. A great day of skating.

It is shaping up to be a great week.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Yes!!!!!

Vaughn was all about attack and Joey warmed the audience. Last years 10 had better beware! Even Cynthia threw down the gauntlet!

Both Mens Q and Womens Q were enjoyable they all deserved to be there. A great day of skating.

It is shaping up to be a great week.

that's so great to hear! wish I was there!!!

rain

Record Breaker
Chipeur is certainly having a break-out season. I think he'll easily make top 7, and the top 5 certainly can't rest on their laurels. Mens should be exciting this year.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Chipeur is certainly having a break-out season. I think he'll easily make top 7, and the top 5 certainly can't rest on their laurels. Mens should be exciting this year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him surpass Nicholas Young.

If you scroll down, there's a good article on the q. round and he is quoted:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en/events_results/events/cdns07/news/index.html

Chipeur figures a top-five or top-six finish here would be "nice, reasonable." He intends to show a triple flip-triple toe in the short program. Previously, he opted for a triple-double. Executing a second triple Axel in his long program is also in the game plan.

That didn't happen on Tuesday but he'll likely get another shot in Saturday's finale. He did execute six triples, including one Axel in the qualifier, although a couple of landings were iffy.

"It's always tough to switch a level," said Russell, whose junior title was the first-ever national figure skating title for his home province of Newfoundland.

"I just wanted to belong. I was just thinking 'skate like a senior. Go fast. Do your jumps.'"

He did that. Russell nailed seven triple jumps including two triple-triple combinations. His triple Axel is not yet ready for prime-time.

"For me, today, there was no hesitation. Just go for everything no matter what happens... Today I was lucky and everything happened the way it should," Russell said.

The men skate their short programs on Friday.

Last edited: