Mom's Eye Surgery Monday | Golden Skate

Mom's Eye Surgery Monday

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
My Mom had her cornea cut off, pressure "sucked" from the eye and then a cadaver's cornea replaced hers. I am really amazed, her eye that just had the surgery is much clearer around the iris, color and sharpness / definition.... She says she sees blurry out of it already, this is all very encouraging news that she seems to be on the road to recovery so quickly.:rock:

Anyway just wanted to share that amazing eye surgery tidbit of info as encouragement to anyone or see if anyone else has has a similar procedure.

That's great that the surgery went well and that your mom is doing OK.

The good news is that cornea surgery is almost always completely effective. The farther back in the eye you have to go, the worse the prospects are. I had retinal surgery a few years ago and it was the best they could do, but not really successful. Macular degeneration and anything affecting the optic nerve, the patient is pretty much out of luck.

Did you know that cararact surgery was first performed in India in 500 B.C.? In the thirteen and fourteenth centuries, the great center for eye surgery was Timbuktu, the capital of the Mali empire in north central Africa. People would travel as much as 3000 miles from Persia to be treated there and to study at the medical university.

Good luck to your mom and wishes for continued recovery. I assume this prcedure will head off worries about glaucoma down the line.

Petlover

On the Ice
That is wonderful that your mom is doing so well after surgery. It's always scary to have an ill parent, so I will say a prayer for your mom that she continue to do well.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, glad to hear of your mom's progression so quickly. I bet you are too. Keep us updated.

Dee

JOHIO2

Medalist
Eye surgery is really becoming routine these days. The things they can correct with surgery are amazing, even to someone my age. And the things they can't are becoming fewer.
Hope Mom is feeling ok and healing well.

Yuunnaa<3

Rinkside
Hope your mom feels better! My friend is going to have radiation for her tumor next to the optic nerve :cry:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I hope your friend recovers quickly from the "treatment."

Thanks everyone for your warm wishes, "MommiBu" loves the kind words.

We went to look at her eye earlier today and it really is amazing, looking at all the little stitches and that the eye that had surgery is SO MUCH clearer than the other eye. They feel the prognosis is REALLY good and now she is wishing for the time when the next eye will have the procedure done.

Dad will be going in for shoulder surgery on the 22st.

Then it is time for Mom's knees.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
Was this for cataracts or for glacucoma? Regardless, I'm happy everything is going so smoothly w/your Mom's cornea transplant. :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean, I'm very glad to hear that your mom's eye surgery went very well. We encouraged my father-in-law to finally get the cataract surgery done in one eye back in September. It took a lot of gentle persuasion, but he was thrilled with the result. Of course, we want to be sure that he also takes care of the other eye, so that will be done in about two weeks.

Good luck to your parents with their other surgeries! .

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good luck to your parents with their other surgeries! .
What a wonderful son you are Sean, to help your parents in their time of need.

I think I have mentioned that 3 of my siblings and me take care of our 86 yr old mom. Even though it's difficult at times, I am happy for that time spent with her. Friends will ask me how mom is doing and I say........well, she's got 4 personal assistants she doing great.

I admire you Sean for doing such a wonderful deed!!!

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
*blush* thanks Dee, I guess my other siblings are busy with their own families so it is understood that the one who will never get married....??? Boo Hoo SeaniBu:laugh:

Anyhoo, it was really cute last night as Dad was looking at Mom's eye saying "that is the beautiful blue that both your eyes used to be, I am so glad to see that again. Your eye color is so pretty Sweetheart." Ah the old-fogy sure knows how to be good with words sometimes.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Good luck Mamabu!!!

Hey everyone PLEASE remember to be organ donors and spread the word. The lists for various transplants is always growing and the wait is agonizing for those who are ill and their loved ones.

Thank you!

Tigger

Final Flight
Thank you Piel for posting that. I had my kidney transplant on December 10th, 1993 and so far, so good Thank God and his Angels on High.

As we say in the Transplant Community...Please don't take your organs to Heaven. Heaven knows we need them down here.

:)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I've always wished I could contribute my organs but they're no good. I remember how dumb I was the time I tried to give blood. I was anemic and was taking iron pills. :rofl:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
This is great news. I wish your mom well for her next procedure.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*blush* thanks Dee, I guess my other siblings are busy with their own families so it is understood that the one who will never get married....??? Boo Hoo SeaniBu:laugh: .
Sean, don't get me started on who's busier!!!

Dee

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I confused Dads surgery with his EKG, which was not as good as we were hoping, but considering he smoked for 50+ years, not as bad as it could have been. He will get his shoulder done on Friday morning. Of course after I will be up late watching Nats the night before. I think we are all worried more about his reasoning and memory more so. His dad has dementia now so it is a concern. Still tough as a bull, but wondering in the field.:frown:

Mom's eye is really showing the stitches now, eye is still much clearer but the stitches around the parameter of the iris are getting pronounced. I don't mind reading for her though, I may not have caught those articles on Kimmie and Katy if I wasn't. :agree:

She LOVED hearing the comments that all of you were posting. Thanks from all of us.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sean, don't get me started on who's busier!!!

Dee

Here is a shocker, my sister is coming by with lunch and some spaghetti for dinner - I hope they aren't reading my posts????? - and here I need to be getting her "protein packed" and vegies. So much for the Cuban beans and rice that Joe had turned us on to. She was looking forward to it again - she and I are huge rice fans. Well it is nice of my sis to come by and she should be here soon. :clap: