What? No American Idol Thread? | Golden Skate

What? No American Idol Thread?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It started up again last night and Minnesota did not do well... it was just SAD...

Simon Cowell is still my number one! Ryan still :love: dreamy! and Randy is my DAWG!

Paula hasn't annoyed me.... yet.

so what'd you all think?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I probably say it every season, but I just can't handle the parade of delusional children reacting to their on-camera rejections. I watched 20 minutes last night and decided to wait until they decided on a top 24. I did think the "urban Amish" guy was pretty funny, though. Did he write his own lyrics?
I do have to ask one question at this point. Have we become so very "PC" that we cannot give our children realistic assessments of their talents? Is building your child's self esteem so important that a parent will evade reality? Have none of the parents of the hopefuls sat Johnny or Suzy down and said, "You're marvelously talented at this, that and the other thing, but you can't sing a note, sweetie, I'm sorry"?
Think of all the eye rolling this would save Simon. :laugh:
Yep, think I'll wait till it's a real competition.
xoxo
Rave

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
parents are told they're awful if they are negative about anything their children does

apparently honesty is a bad thing

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
parents are told they're awful if they are negative about anything their children does

apparently honesty is a bad thing

And then when the child turns out to have an unclear relationship with reality, it's all the fault of the parent. Doomed if you do, doomed if you don't.
Sigh.
Open note to Amazon Princess: honey, Mommy loves you very much, but you're a karaoke singer, not the next American Idol.
Oh yeah. She knows that. :laugh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I probably say it every season, but I just can't handle the parade of delusional children reacting to their on-camera rejections. I watched 20 minutes last night and decided to wait until they decided on a top 24. I did think the "urban Amish" guy was pretty funny, though. Did he write his own lyrics?
I do have to ask one question at this point. Have we become so very "PC" that we cannot give our children realistic assessments of their talents? Is building your child's self esteem so important that a parent will evade reality? Have none of the parents of the hopefuls sat Johnny or Suzy down and said, "You're marvelously talented at this, that and the other thing, but you can't sing a note, sweetie, I'm sorry"?
Think of all the eye rolling this would save Simon. :laugh:
Yep, think I'll wait till it's a real competition.
xoxo
Rave

But the bad singers are the best part!! :rofl: :rofl: It's typically later on when they reach top 24/12 that I stop watching.

heyang

Record Breaker
I can usually only take about 2 episodes of 1 hour each of bad singers and then get back into it at top 10. Last night, they didn't even feature many of the good singers. 17 out of 10,000 from Minneapolis were given passes to Hollywood. Why did they do 2 hours of awfulness? None of the bad ones were even that amusing.

I refused to watch tonight. Seattle has been reported as worse than Minneapolis and it's a 2 hour show Again! I'm not wasting my time tonight.

Simon was on Oprah today. By not saying anything, he's implied that he's not thrilled with the overall caliber of this year's contestants. At this point (post Hollywood), he says there's 3 female standouts and 1 male. He said some of the better singers were sent home from Hollywood. All of the contestants got really nervous and did not handle the pressure well.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Has idol seen the last of the best of the best? who knows...

I don't doubt Simon is not happy with this season, he had quite a few diva moments in Seattle...

I am getting a little tired of the auditions just because there are so many outrageous and tedious and boring... and and and... there wasn't much relief last night, and I don't know how much more I can take. I guess they're trying to give us more of a look of what the judges have had to go through.

Is it Hell Week in Hollywood yet?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Didn't see Seattle (I had heard and read that it was painfully, painfully, PAINFULLY bad, which I believe someone attributed to all the caffeine up there) [Starbucks, y'know... :biggrin: ], but saw most of Minneapolis. I liked that Denise Jackson (I think it's Jackson) and that Sarah (??) girl with the long brown hair, but as to everyone else.....
I think there are some potentially good singers that got through, but their song choices were so weird it was really hard to tell. That seemed to be an ongoing theme there -- people just picked the weirdest songs to sing that would challenge even the most talented of vocalists.
I did feel sorry for that red-headed rocker boy with the raspy voice. I can understand why he didn't get put through and basically agree with the decision, but it's kind of a shame. He was just so adorable and really, he sounded a lot better than most of what they had to listen to. That one 16-year-old -- Matt something, I think, who sounded like BAD BOY BAND (some may consider that redundant) -- I can't for the life of me figure out how he got through because to me he sounded ATROCIOUS. But then again, as Simon has pointed out on a few occasions, things do sound different on TV than they do in the room. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, I guess.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Seattle was worse than even what I read on the boards... it was just

:no:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Brother and sister, dad from India..That guy could sing so nicely. What a wonderful voice, to bad he didn't have his sisters "stage presents." The 16 year old girl who looked like she was 20 or more, great voice, this show will help her control it.

I think the consensus is correct on this one as far as talent being even fewer and further in between. It is almost as though there are more trying to get the William Hung award and make some cash for just being crap. The problem is, Hung was genuine, inspirational and cute / charming in a peculiar way. All these people are just annoying.

I think Paula is cuter this year?????

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I very seldom watch the auditions but did for Minneapolis, I think our Omaha person is going to Hollywood. Yay!!! Anyhow, I was in hysterics over Tuesdays group. I loved the gal who sang the lion's song from the Wizard of Oz. :chorus: :chorus: I also liked the gal who said she was AI's biggest fan. Simon basically told her to leave and she said why?? She said she took voice lessons for 8? years? :chorus: :chorus: She was scary and I think Simon was afraid of her. :chorus: :chorus: Then there was the 16 year old that Simon told to beat it.........as he went out the door they bleeped what he was saying and then started crying---loudly. :chorus: :chorus: I was rolling by then.

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"stage presents."

presense
I don't think stage gifts are allowed ;) :laugh:

sorry it was just too easy!

I did enjoy those two last night... very nice.

RE: AI's Biggest fan, she also supposedly has a degree in music...
I loved her "How do you think I can improve" and he just said "Leave"

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
presense
I don't think stage gifts are allowed ;) :laugh:

sorry it was just too easy!
:p This coming from the "teh" queen:laugh: And why you never go after my here / hear or you / your? You are so mean to me. BOO HOO:laugh:

And what in the word was Red on? I did however love that fact he openly said he had no real interest in the show.

What is this about Simon crying?

btw. I maybe the only one who gets bugged by the fact Randy is steeling the "Dawg" name. Anyone with a musical background should know who is the original "Dawg."

Last edited:
Never mind who wins this semi-fixed show. The only question is what does Paula Abdul have in that cup of coke?

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't know but she could go away and the show wouldn't be any worse off, it'd be better!

Sean - MINE is a hyperactive finger issue, not a spelling error ;)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Do whatever you want Toni, now that you have changed your signature I am more the happy to "look" at your posts!:clap: :love:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Nationals starts on Sunday (have I mentioned Sunday's my bday enough yet? LOL) so I figured I should start with the whole reason I'm watching it this year! ;))

R.D.

Record Breaker
Never mind who wins this semi-fixed show. The only question is what does Paula Abdul have in that cup of coke?

atomrofl.gif

Wow, I don't think I've seen THIS many bad singers before. I didn't watch the start of the first three but last night's show was pretty entertaining...but I don't know how much more I can take.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seanibu said:
What is this about Simon crying?
No Sean, Simon wasn't crying the 16 year old boy was. As he came out the door he said Simon was a $$##!!~~#@#$@# and boo-hoo, that dirty no good #@$##@$%%$ boo-hoo.......and Paula she's nothing but a #@$%%$##@#@@ boo-hoo and then he put his head on I think his mother's shoulder and sobbed very loudly. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee.