Trading Spaces | Golden Skate

Trading Spaces

D

dlksk8fan

Trading Spaces

I know we had a topic already about the TV show Trading Spaces, but I just had to comment on todays show. Did anyone else see it? They did one couples kitchen which in my opionion was awful. They painted their cabinets black and covered their walls with wine labels. <span style="color:red;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">Yeck!</span>. They also were going to make a wine rack for this couple, but their friends told them that they didn't drink alcohol. They also painted the blinds really strange-black on the bottom and orange on top. What were they thinking. You could tell that the husband didn't like it. How could they have put all those wine labels on the walls when they don't even like wine! Ugly, ugly, ugly:p

J

Jules Asner

Re: Trading Spaces

Hilde strikes again!

This weekend there is a Celebrity Trading Space marathon on Sunday night. Plus a new episode on Saturday night.

Hilde is starting to grow on me. Still hate almost all of the designs by Doug. Like Genevieve the best, then the red head, then Vern.

D

dlksk8fan

Jules- it was Hilde's creation. Is she always that bad?
Keep her away from my house:lol:

H

heyang

Generally, Hilde's the worst. I can only think of a couple of her rooms that I didn't think were attrocious - probably because they weren't as bad as the others. Her background is industrial design - she usually works on corporate office settings where impact over function is more important.

Her worst, IMO, is the room where she sectioned everything into quadrants (walls, furniture, floor) - the colors were magenta and gray. It looked like a cave by the time she was finished. The only thing that could've been interesting was the fireplace - she re-did it in a glass mosaic tile. Unfortunately, 1/2 was magenta and the other 1/2 gray.

My favorites are redhead Laurie and Verne. I usually like Genevive's kitchens. I would not want Hilde near my house. I have mixed feelings about everyone else.

S

Show 42

Jules, I saw that episode...I feel so badly for the couple who gets her........the worst episode is when she stapled a gazillion artificial flowers to the walls of a beautiful bathroom...it was hideous........42

H

heyang

Yikes - How could I forget the stupid flowers in the bathroom? The dust. All the staple holes in the wall that will need to be plugged before the walls can be painted again. That was the 1st time a bathroom was done for the show and it'll probably be the last.h

N

nysk8r

Hilde's worst has to be when she glued hay on the walls.......yes, HAY. That thing that cows and horses eat.....:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

When it comes to the best rooms, Vern takes the cake. His colors always go well and he has neat lil ideas to spruce up the furniture....and he's always underbudget!!!! :D

D

Dee4707

Other than Hilde, Genevieve (sp?), Laurie, the one that I can't stand is Frank. I hate his country pointed stuff he does. I just can't stand it. I think I could tolerate the 3 women, especially if you put a muzzle on Genevieve. Can't stand her laugh. Other than that I like the show. BTW, I love Vern.

Dee

J

Jules Asner

Oh geez, I must'a missed Hilde's hay episode. Her worst was definitly the circus tent room (the one where she 'accidentally' ruined the furniture by spray painting it pink and then leaving it in the rain and had to go over budget to buy them new pink couches the next day). The second worst was the bathroom with all those flowers. what a nightmare.
On the other hand she did a toile bedroom (fabric on the walls) which I liked and a few others that didn't bother me too much.

however, I wouldn't let any of them into my house. I've only liked one of Doug's rooms - he did a French toile bedroom for someone that was nice. Laurie's are usually OK and most of the time I like Vern's (loved the spanish kitchen he did for Andy Dick) but occassionally he goes too far into tackyville.

I usually like Genevieve but I didn't like the room she did for Sarah Rue, it was just so blah. Frank's a bit annoying but I've liked a few of his, although when he goes country it is a bit too much. Kia may take the cake as my least favorite - the room she did with an astro-turf garden (on the bed) was hideous.

Anyone notice what the designer's inspirations are?
Laurie always designs her room starting from a fabric.
Genevieve usually chooses an object - a french poster, a cuban cigar box, a bowl of soup.
Hilde usually focuses on one major thing - the walls or the floor and everything else is kinda left by the wayside.

Doug sometimes also puts too much emphasis on the walls, particularly when he does hideous stencils. Anyone see the red and white stenciled walls he did once? yuck!

S

sk8tngcanuck

trading spaces

Ok I just watched todays episode and I think I would have to kill Doug. Although I thought the room was ok, his searching through her underwear drawer and finding that picture of her in her underwear and BLOWING IT UP for all to see was way beyond acceptable.

JMO

Canuck

S

sk8rvet

TS

Worst episode for me was Kia's "garden guest room". she made a bedspread out of green turf and then stuck fake flowers on it- by the time she was done the room looked like a grave. And what is the deal with her and wall paper borders?!? yuck!

T

thvudragon

Re: TS

I think the worst one was Hildi's "Record" room with old vinyl records just glued all over the wall. That, or the "Target" logo room. Those two have to be the worst ever. The owner of the "Target" room was even crying in sadness of her horrid room.

TV

H

hrmsk8ngnutt

Hilde's face??

Unfortunately, we don't have TLC on San Francisco cable so I only get to watch Trading Spaces when I visit my family in Southern California (which is where I am this weekend). Today I watched as HILDE'S FACE :eek: was painted onto one wall!!! I haven't seen the hay, but this is definitely the worst (with the flowers on the bathroom wall #2). My sister and I agree that we would have painted that wall over right away!!!!

I actually like Doug's designs, except for the one room he based on a sleeper cabin train car.

Anyone watch Changing Rooms on BBC America?

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

K

Kara Bear

Re: Hilde's face??

I don't watch Changing Rooms, but am addicted to The Decorating Challenge, which is the Canadian equivalent. It is sooo lame, but it one of the few decorating shows I get on our crappy basic cable. Damn you Cogeco Cable!!!!

O

Oceanguy

Flowers on Bathroom Wall

Oh my, I must be the only person who loved the bathroom with the flowers. Does anyone remember the room done in a burgandy theme for the spanish couple living in I think Texas? Lovely! The kitchen done for Andy Dick this past weekend (re-run??) was absolutley wonderful. However, I could hardly stand watching him during the show. The only reason why I think I watched it after seeing his antics was b/c I caught the end and seen Ty shirtless and had to watch the re-run of the episode that night. LOL Only to see that they didn't show that portion other than in the timelaspe peice at the end of the show! UGH...
But I did see a few episodes of Changeing Spaces and thought it was great. I loved the episode where the designer added some concrete blocks to the room. When the lady come to see her bedroom, she said, "this is crap, absolutley crap!"
AB