[article] Meissner Brings Spanish Flavor to Ice | Golden Skate

[article] Meissner Brings Spanish Flavor to Ice

R.D.

Record Breaker
http://spokane2007.usfigureskating.org/News/SkaterNews/011907FlamencoMeissner.aspx

With “Galicie Flamenco” as her free skate music, Meissner will bring the Spanish fever and triple-triple combinations to the Spokane Arena ice on Saturday, Jan. 27. She plans to execute seven triples (two in combination), high-level spins and connecting step sequences, as well as a couple double Axels during her free skate.

...which would mean no 3A. Good thinking.

When asked in a recent teleconference whether or not Cohen’s decision to take a break would affect her actions leading up to the U.S. Championships, Meissner said, “As far as Sasha making the decision not to compete here, to me it wasn’t that big of a shock. It was such a long year last year. I’m still going into the U.S. Championships the same way — I haven’t changed the way I think about it. I like competing against Sasha. I wouldn’t mind if she came back. As far as taking a long break, I don’t know if I would. I like to be on the ice all the time.”

Kimmie actually enjoys being on the ice and this is something a competitor would say.

She also talks about improving her artistry. Now, I don't think she'll ever be a natural but I like her for trying to at least make an effort, maybe act it out.

Kimmie -from Egypt to Spain. Let's see.

She's an open person. She answers questions about Sasha where Sasha would avoid answering questions about Kwan. It doesn't matter though. Each to his own true self.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Whenever Sasha DID answer about Kwan - in much the same way Kimmie did here - she was either called a liar or a brat... so *shrugs* it's all about perception.

Good for Kim... I hope she does well. She's a definite talent and I really like her. She isn't the most artistic out there, but she has killer confidence and she seems like such a sweetie off the ice it's hard not to cheer her on!

R.D.

Record Breaker
The one concern I have for her though is all those triple jumps. No one is a robot and I can't help but think she might see big injury in a couple of years.

Am I the only one who is not impressed when Kimmie tries to up her presentation scores by going exotic? I don't really see her as a flamenco dancer any more than Arabian a la coffee (or is it tea) number from Balanchine's Nutcracker. It's also interesting that there's no mention of footwork. To me footwork is often what lifts a program from the routine to the memorable. I'd rather see her focus on doing a brilliant footwork section than on finger-snapping and head-tossing. And just fix those arms!

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'll wait till I see it first.

but you've got a point about the arms :rofl:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
The one concern I have for her though is all those triple jumps. No one is a robot and I can't help but think she might see big injury in a couple of years.

That is so scary! Kimmie and Mao, I hope this never comes to a point as it has ended others. I just don't "get the feeling" this will happen with either one of them. I hope I am right.:yes:

btw thanks for posting RD. And yes the arms, where as it seems odd to me because I like her hands if she would just hold the finger / wrist positions a little longer. Cart before the horse? - or in her new theme, carro antes del caballo?