Evan v. Johnny in Spokane | Golden Skate

Evan v. Johnny in Spokane

Pick your choice. They both skated clean and both did about the same elements. It's a pick your choice, and the closeness of the scores tells it all. No doubt the rivalry continues through Worlds. I can't see either losing the podium at this Nats. Both are looking fine for competition. Neither showing quads, unfortunately. Bradley is looking good for the bronze, but Pennington is very sharp this season.

The younger guys just couldn't pull it off. Overett, Ratteree. Abbott, Carriere as well as Smith and Steenberg just make it work this SP. Let's see what happens in the Free.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Cheat

Didn't it look to you'all on the replay like Evan did half of one rotation on the triple axel before he left the ice? Is a cheat only counted as a cheat if it's at the end of the jump?
Linny

goodbyemylover

Rinkside
The only mistakes with Evan that seemed absolutely clear were a bit of a travelling on a few of his spins and a slight slip during footwork. His jumps, if I was watching them correctly, were pretty beautiful.

The competition is very exciting between the two of them though!

Johar

Medalist
Was was the snippy remark Weir said about Evan? I missed it but my friend said Weir made a catty remark.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I'm hoping that someone who has seen the men's competition (so far) can clue me in. Was the short program such a horrid splatfest that only two programs were worthy of our attention? (Oh, yes, and highlights from Ryan Bradley.)
How is it that the young lady (whoever she is) in 16th place is more worthy of air time than the man in 4th or 5th place? Or the dance team in 4th place? (Go, Kim & Brent!) Or any pairs at all, aside from a fluff clip of Naomi and Themi?
Gotta love that ESPN. :banging:
Rave

To me, it seemed like the idea was that ESPN was showing the ladies SP live and pretty much in full. During lulls in the competition they eked it out with clips of earlier events (men's and dance) and with fluff pieces.

Actually, I kind of liked it that way. It would have been nice if we had seen the men's competion live, too, of course. But at least we got the excitement of seeing an actual competition going on in real time. That is my biggest complaint in the new figure skating coverage. Up until this event, all we got was old movies, not sports coverage.

sk8addict

On the Ice
The only mistakes with Evan that seemed absolutely clear were a bit of a travelling on a few of his spins and a slight slip during footwork. His jumps, if I was watching them correctly, were pretty beautiful.

The competition is very exciting between the two of them though!

I have to question Evan's tripple axle. Did you see how he had done half a rotation with his toepick still on the ice? I remember Amber Corwin constantly being downgraded for pre-rotation. I am not a big Johnny fan in fact I'm the one who turned him into PETA but I want clean skates. May the best skater win!!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As a big Evan fan I have to say he skated conservatively and seemingly slow

Johnny was there to win and should be in first....

emma

Record Breaker

Johnny was there to win and should be in first....

I think I might have given Johnny the edge last night too. I was sooo happy to see Evan do his sp well though. But, back to Johnny - I do wish this would 'teach him' that he HAS to do that quad, then there would have been no question (assuming, of course, it was clean). I do think he needs work still with this program too - I mean from tv it looked a little slow in spots and he could still work on commanding bravado (again from my tv angle) - but boy oh boy was it nice to see him skate well too. loved it! can't wait for the LPs!

rachelstarlet

Rinkside

I'm from Spokane and was there yesterday - I just wanted to comment that Evan, from my point of view, seemed to skate faster than Johnny and with much more command of the ice. He also had a lot more prescence and audience attention - all of which are subjective things, but could've influenced the scoring.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought Johnny didn't need much work at all on any part of that SP... it was awesome, and I don't say that often about his programs (other than when Otonal is skated cleanly I really don't like his skating lol)

I was soooooooooo happy to see Evan stay on his feet... and I really hope he wins the full thing... but I have mixed emotions about the SP... while I'd love him to win, I don't want it to look like the judges have made up their mind prior to the guys actually skating (which is dumb I know lol)

I'm not just going by what I saw on TV but also by other reports I've read of people there.

jennylovskt

Medalist
On TV, Johnny's performance seemed precise but a bit slow. It was the best short program performance of the season so far, but not the best he can do. On the other hand, I think Evan did everything he could to give out his, and he was on. It was one of Evan's best sp ever. Johnny's "not the best" performance tied with Evan's best one.

It's going to be exciting on Saturday. We'll see.

Was was the snippy remark Weir said about Evan? I missed it but my friend said Weir made a catty remark.
It wasn't anything. Something along the lines of, I've beat Evan in every Nationals so far and I'm here to do it again.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
I would have rated Weir higher than Lysacek by a mere .25 points. Both did a good job.

Lysacek would be a little higher on a couple of the PCS marks (Weir still does not seem totally comfortable with his choreography), however Weir's Triple Axle was definitely better and deserved a +1 GOE.

~Z

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
I didn't hear anything nasty from Johnny but, in an interview Evan did say something along the lines of like, "If I was given the opportunity to be champion I wouldn't take it lightly," I thought that was a bit obnoxious as if Johnny has taken it lightly-in other words Evan was saying if I win I promise to be as boring as possible to not upset anyone...:p

Lysacek would be a little higher on a couple of the PCS marks (Weir still does not seem totally comfortable with his choreography), however Weir's Triple Axle was definitely better and deserved a +1 GOE.
ITA I also would have downgraded GOE on Evan's 3A-his 3A is always odd looking? And his traveling spins. I think they both did amazing but, I think Johnny did slightly better- I agree w/ the almost tie I just think the slight edge should be Johnny's. I have a sneaking suspicion that Evan is going to get astronomically high "Joubert" like scores for Carmen tomorrow? :agree:

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
The judges feel like THIS is Evan's time. He placed higher than Weir at the Olympics and both of the past two World Championships.

The long program is going to come down to mistakes. The only way Evan will lose is if he makes more mistakes than Johnny. If they both skate equally well technically, Evan has the title.

~Z

emma

Record Breaker
So - evan skates 4th in the last group and Johnny 5th - this is going to be a real nail biter imo. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Vodka Shot

On the Ice
The long program is going to come down to mistakes. The only way Evan will lose is if he makes more mistakes than Johnny. If they both skate equally well technically, Evan has the title.
ITA
I think for Johnny to win Evan would not only have to make a few mistakes but, also Johnny would have to be PERFECT and I think he'd have to include a quad-that's the only way they'll let him win this thing. Just in case Johnny is perfect and just in case he throws a quad I guarantee they will give Evan ridiculously high scores tomorrow to counteract it if that miraculously happens.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
So far I pretty much agree with everything said on this page. It seems as if the USFS wants a new poster boy, and that Evan would be their candidate for the job. I thought it odd that this month's new USFS SKATING magazine cover story, about Johnny, was titled.....'Winds of Change'.
Damn, I've never wanted Johnny to win any title as much as I want him to win this one.