The American Ladies Field is very very very deep as well! | Golden Skate

The American Ladies Field is very very very deep as well!

flying camel

Medalist
Well most made big improvements leading up to nationals. I wonder if Mirai & Caroline are moving up to seniors next year. Wouldn't that be fun? Can you imagine Mirai, Caroline & Flatt. I wouldn't be able to stand it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Next year, Mirai, Caroline and Rachael, even if they compete as Seniors at Nationals, will all still be ineligible for Worlds. No doubt Ashley Wagner will be competing as a Senior, too, but she is already eligible to compete at Senior ISU Championship events.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
caroline

I hope Caroline Zhang will not move too soon to senior level. If she wants to be the next 'biggest' star, she needs a lot of technical work as her coach suggested.

Caroline needs to fix some of her jump technique, and she really needs a 3+3. She only needs to develop more power. All these skills are easily to be worked out at Junior level when there's less spotlight. If she moves too soon to the senior, she will be very conservative in each competition and will not take risks in trying new skills.

kyla2

Final Flight
Hmmm...

Let's see what happens as they grow. I would place my money on Nagasu. The others are fine but they won't be seriously competitive in the long term with the Korean and Japanese skaters unless they up their game.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
personally i was very impressed with rachel flatt. Her freeskate was very slow, but the dress was beautiful and i loved the way she used her hands.

riverflows

Rinkside
Question, can Mirai and Caroline compete in the senior GP next season if they medal at the Junior Worlds, or do they have no choice but to compete in the junior GP?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Question, can Mirai and Caroline compete in the senior GP next season if they medal at the Junior Worlds, or do they have no choice but to compete in the junior GP?

Junior GP. You've gotta be 15 to do senior gp events, and you've gotta be on the right side of 15 (born before July) to do worlds.

mskater93

Record Breaker
personally i was very impressed with rachel flatt. Her freeskate was very slow, but the dress was beautiful and i loved the way she used her hands.

That is so funny that you say that because my husband, who is not a skating fan and only watches because I make him commented that she makes claws with her right hand while she skates and that it was very distracting to him. :chorus:

heyang

Record Breaker
Nagasu would not have won SR's this year IMO. She and Caroline are lovely skaters, but they are still junior's. They stand out in their field, but they don't have all the jumps to be sr's - at least, I don't think I saw 7 triples out there.

I was amazed at their flexibility - especially Caroline's. However, they are only 13 and their bodies undeveloped. WIll they have that same flexibility when their bodies mature a bit. Will there be back problems?

During their interviews, there were definitely 2 little girls in holding those microphones. I felt so bad for Caroline's obvious disappointment in the kiss'n'cry'. I don't have a problem with both of them waiting for Seniors at least another year. Let them stay little girls a little longer.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Nagasu did 2 3Lu (one in combo), 3F, 3Lo (combo), 3T (combo), 3Sa, 2A (not in that order). If she gets a 3/3 and/or 3A, she's going to be a formidable competitor

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
I guess I don't pay enough attention to the Junior ladies. I know that Caroline Zhang competed in the JGP events and won the JGPF, but what was Mirai Nagasu doing all season? She seemed to come out of nowhere to win that title(very well deserved though!). Everyone was saying that it would go to Caroline Zhang.

flying camel

Medalist
So, Flatt can compete in the GP next year? I wonder if USFSA will keep her in the JGP events to gain experience.

ks777

Record Breaker
I guess I don't pay enough attention to the Junior ladies. I know that Caroline Zhang competed in the JGP events and won the JGPF, but what was Mirai Nagasu doing all season? She seemed to come out of nowhere to win that title(very well deserved though!). Everyone was saying that it would go to Caroline Zhang.

Mirai was competing at regionals and sectionals to qualify for nationals. She didn't make it out of regionals last season that's why she wasn't at Junior GP this season.

equestrianguy

On the Ice
I can see any or all of these very young ladies (Nagasu, Zhangon and Flatt) on many future World and Olympic podiums. It will be exciting to see them mature over the next couple years. That Layback spin/move that Zhang does "The Pearl" (I think the oyster sounds better.. lol) is AMAZING! The future does look bright after all!;)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The age requirements for the GP are different from the age requirements for ISU Senior Championships (Worlds, Euros, 4CC).

Skaters have to have reached the age of 14 by July 1st to be eligible to compete in the GP. All three ladies (Rachael, Mirai and Caroline) meet this criteria. Mirai turns 14 in April, Caroline turns 14 in May, and Rachael turns 15 in mid-July.

Caroline is already guaranteed at least one GP event because she is the JGPF Champion. If Mirai medals at Junior Worlds, she, too will be guaranteed at least one GP event. They both will have to choose whether they want to skate in the GP or the JGP, because they can't do both. Caroline may want to move up to the GP, but Mirai has zero international experience and it might be too big a step for her.

Rachael can't get any GP invitations because she has had no international competitions this year. She will have to do the JGP next season.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I don't know if Mirai wins Junior Worlds (and it is possible) her team and the USFSA may just decide to send her to the Senior Grand Prix finals. But other than winning Junior Worlds , I think Mirai should stay in the Junior Grand Prix, but skate at Senior Nationals next year. I don't know about her winning nerves may get to her at Junior Worlds...