USA teams announced for ISU championships | Golden Skate

USA teams announced for ISU championships

Alsace

On the Ice
http://spokane2007.usfigureskating.org/News/EventNews/012707InternationalTeamSelections.aspx

Wonder when the women will be required to decide about the Four Continents championship?

(1/27/07) - The following are the selections for 2007 winter/spring international assignments.

Ladies
World Championships
Kimmie Meissner
Emily Hughes
Alissa Czisny

Alternates
Bebe Liang
Danielle Kahle
Juliana Cannarozzo

Four Continents Championships
TBA

World Junior Championships
Mirai Nagasu
Caroline Zhang
Ashley Wagner

Alternates
Rachael Flatt
Danielle Kahle
Juliana Cannarozzo

Men
World Championships
Evan Lysacek
Ryan Bradley
Johnny Weir

Alternates
Jeremy Abbott
Scott Smith
Derrick Delmore

Evan Lysacek
Ryan Bradley
Johnny Weir

Alternates
Jeremy Abbott
Scott Smith
Derrick Delmore

Stephen Carriere
Eliot Halverson
Brandon Mroz

Alternates
Austin Kanallakan
Tommy Steenberg
Curran Oi

Pairs
World Championships
Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski
Rena Inoue and John Baldwin

Alternates
Naomi Nari Nam and Themi Leftheris
Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig
Tiffany Vise and Derek Trent

Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski
Rena Inoue and John Baldwin
Naomi Nari Nam and Themi Leftheris

Alternates
Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig
Tiffany Vise and Derek Trent
Kendra Moyle and Andy Seitz

Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker
Kendra Moyle and Andy Seitz
Bridget Namiotka and John Coughlin

Alternates
Bianca Butler and Joseph Jacobsen
Jessica Rose Paetsch and Jon Nuss
Kaela Pflumm and Christopher Pottenger

Ice Dancing
World Championships
Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto
Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov
Meryl Davis and Charlie White

Alternates
Kim Navarro and Brent Bommentre
Morgan Matthews and Maxim Zavozin
Jennifer Wester and Daniil Barantsev

Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto
Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov
Meryl Davis and Charlie White

Alternates
Kim Navarro and Brent Bommentre
Morgan Matthews and Maxim Zavozin
Jennifer Wester and Daniil Barantsev

Emily Samuelson and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Keiffer Hubbell
Lynn Kriengkrairut and Logan Giulietti-Schmitt

Alternates
Piper Gilles and Timothy McKernan
Shannon Wingle and Ryan Devereaux
Pilar Bosley and John Corona

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
I was expecting Rachel Flatt to get an invite to Jr. Worlds. Is Ashley the better of the two?

I hope Alissa considers going to 4CC. That might be a good prep for her, to just go and practice for Worlds.

I would say Rachael is probably the better at the moment, off her great performance skating against the big girls at Nationals. She also scored well in competitions over the summer (as Nigel just reminded me in the Nationals thread :) ) and in sectionals.

But Ashley earned her spot, IMHO. She competed on the full Grand Prix circuit, which Rachael was forced to miss because of an injury. Ashley won both of the events that she entered, Chourcheval and The Hague. She was second in the Junior Grand Prix Final (to Caroline Zhang), scoring 142 points.

My own guess (just a feeling on my part) is that USFS sent Ashley because they want to bend over backward to avoid the appearance that these decisions are political or that any favoritism is being shown. If they just say, automatically, the first three at nationals go to Worlds (both junior and senior), then no one can call foul.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope Alissa considers going to 4CC. That might be a good prep for her, to just go and practice for Worlds.

Depends on where 4CC is. If it involves travel I say skip it. I think she just needs a break and some confidence. This is not the first time she's broken out a great performance. A truly inconsistent skater in that you don't know what you'll get from her.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Depends on where 4CC is. If it involves travel I say skip it. I think she just needs a break and some confidence. This is not the first time she's broken out a great performance. A truly inconsistent skater in that you don't know what you'll get from her.

Her pattern this year seems to be good, terrible, good. I think send her to 4CC's so she can have a terrible performance there (like COR), then be on top of her game at worlds.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Her pattern this year seems to be good, terrible, good. I think send her to 4CC's so she can have a terrible performance there (like COR), then be on top of her game at worlds.

I read somewhere she will go. All top three in each discipline will go to 4cc. Looks like a very very exciting 4cc, mainly a battle between Canada and U.S.

R.D.

Record Breaker
you mean Meissner and Hughes go as well??

ETA: Yes, they are now on the list for 4CCs! Wow, this must be a first. Now, where is 4CC's being held, and who is Japan sending? This could be a good one.

Last edited:
M

mylastduchess

ETA: Yes, they are now on the list for 4CCs! Wow, this must be a first. Now, where is 4CC's being held, and who is Japan sending? This could be a good one.

Unfortunately Mao and Miki ain't going, but fumier is listed but if she goes to the winter games its almost next to impossible that she will arrive in time for 4CC

childfreegirl

Final Flight

Colorado Springs again. If Meissner goes, I'll be shocked.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Doesn't the USFSA usually nominate the podium finishers to go to 4CC's, but more likely than not, many skaters withdraw after a couple of days? I hope Alissa goes, but would be surprised if Emily and/or Kimmie go. It would be good for them since they all could use the practice, and it's not too far away.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Unfortunately Mao and Miki ain't going, but fumier is listed but if she goes to the winter games its almost next to impossible that she will arrive in time for 4CC

It is possible. All Chinese skaters except pairs will go immediately following the winter games. Some of them will compete the same day when they arrive.

M

mylastduchess

PHP:
It is possible. All Chinese skaters except pairs will go immediately following the winter games. Some of them will compete the same day when they arrive.

well zben/zhao is listed too but they said its not very wise to compete the day the you arrive so they won't come!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese ladies team is Yoshie Onda, Fumie Suguri and Aki Sawada.

I would be very surpised if Hughes and Meissner went to 4CC. I think both of them want to concentrate on practicing for Worlds, as both have issues that need to be resolved. I would also be surprised to see Evan and Johnny there. Evan won 2005 4CC and turned it down last year, and Johnny has been offered the spot for the last 3 years and has declined. Both of them are probably going to want to work on their quads for Worlds.

What I found interesting was Emily's remark that she knows it was the fall which kept her from winning US Nationals and she was going to reverse that at Worlds. I think it is much better to focus on what she needs to do to improve her skating rather than on beating Kimmie. Sasha was always focused on beating someone else, and that didn't work for her. It won't work for Emily, either.

Kimmie's comment was that she had to work on the things that went wrong and skate perfectly at Worlds. That's the right approach.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
The Japanese ladies team is Yoshie Onda, Fumie Suguri and Aki Sawada.

I would be very surpised if Hughes and Meissner went to 4CC. I think both of them want to concentrate on practicing for Worlds, as both have issues that need to be resolved. I would also be surprised to see Evan and Johnny there. Evan won 2005 4CC and turned it down last year, and Johnny has been offered the spot for the last 3 years and has declined. Both of them are probably going to want to work on their quads for Worlds.

What I found interesting was Emily's remark that she knows it was the fall which kept her from winning US Nationals and she was going to reverse that at Worlds. I think it is much better to focus on what she needs to do to improve her skating rather than on beating Kimmie. Sasha was always focused on beating someone else, and that didn't work for her. It won't work for Emily, either.

Kimmie's comment was that she had to work on the things that went wrong and skate perfectly at Worlds. That's the right approach.

The quality of Emily's skating should not place her above Kimmie unless kimmie falls at least twice in a program.

I don't think Emily can reverse anything. This was already the best she could do. She has power to her jumps, and I'll give credit to that. But the problem is those jumps can go wild and she constantly has bad falls. She has never done a clean long program at senior level. When she tried to control her jumps at GP events, the opposite happened, she kept on popping or underrotating jumps.

Last edited:
So, do you think the best way to prepare for Worlds is to stay home and practice? Or would preparing for and doing another competition be better preparation?

It always seemed to me that doing regular competitions ought to be the best way to get in that competitive groove. But I guess I am wrong about that, since none of the top skaters ever takes that route (except maybe Slutskaya).