Bad move!!!! | Golden Skate

Bad move!!!!

legup

Spectator
Ok...its the most fun week of the skating year (in my humble opinion) when we get to see new faces. That said, youth brings bad choices. WITHOUT naming names, I thought it would be fun IN A LIGHTHEARTED MANNER to name the moves we love to hate...bad choreography that makes us cringe!!

For me, my number one pet peeve is when someone pretends to play a musical instrument during their program...AAUGHHHH. My three year old does that when he hears music...it shouldnt be in a skating program!!!!

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I hate the "Touching my face makes me expressive and musical" thing that a number of skaters do. It looks stupid.

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Two words: Fan Spiral. It's like "Hi! Here's my crotch! Like it?" Please, please, anything, even yanking the boot over the head using the blade, is better than that!

rjulie510

Rinkside
The signature Nikolai Morozov footwork where the skater stop at the end of the board, then s/he starts the footwork (of course includes plenty of toe picks). It worked for Alexei Yagudin, but enough is enough! Most of these skaters don't have control and speed that Yagudin had.

Change-of-edge spiral that many ladies attempt get me worried. Most of them have such wobbly edge that I'm afraid they will trip.

I also have strong dislike for excessive arm waving -some skaters wave their arms frantically, but if you look at carefully they're gliding on two feet. I don't like that.

dutchherder

Final Flight
One of the men-- I can't remember which-- kept pushing his hand up in front of his face, which at certain angles looked like he was wiping a runny nose. :laugh:

I don't think we saw it this time, but I also hate "Egyptian hands".

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Two words: Fan Spiral. It's like "Hi! Here's my crotch! Like it?" Please, please, anything, even yanking the boot over the head using the blade, is better than that!

THANK YOU!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I have ALWAYS hated that move; I don't care WHO'S doing it.....

antmanb

Record Breaker

And did you see the state of them at Europeans? I hate the move at the best of times but atleast flexible skaters like Cohen and Arakawa got their free legs high and straight and pointed. Europeans looked awful - most of th eladies barely managing to get their feet above waist height and all looked like they were suffering from stomach cramps...ban them immediately.

Ant

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Exactly. If even the most graceful and elegant of the ladies look that tacky doing it, then what's the point?

MKFSfan

Medalist
My first thought was FAN SPIRAL! And second was that annoying "halt-karate kick-continue" part of every FW section.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm still and never will be a fan of the doughnut spin. It really looks like a dog chasing its tail!

136488465_fd1ece8d68_o.png

baiul-donut.jpg

emma

Record Breaker
This thread made me laugh!

I don't like the move a lot of guys do - it's a spin where they hold their leg up in front of them, but usually have a fairly deep knee bend on the spinning leg and just basically look as if the leg they are holding is really, really heavy.

blue dog

Record Breaker
This thread made me laugh!

I don't like the move a lot of guys do - it's a spin where they hold their leg up in front of them, but usually have a fairly deep knee bend on the spinning leg and just basically look as if the leg they are holding is really, really heavy.

How about this one? LOL

9922736.jpg

flying camel

Medalist
Yea, the Fan Spiral has got to go. Do you get a lot of points for doing it? I hope some people who made it to TV got a look at themselves. It wasn't pretty.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
For me, my number one pet peeve is when someone pretends to play a musical instrument during their program...AAUGHHHH. My three year old does that when he hears music...it shouldnt be in a skating program!!!!

Probably the only one I agree with - or will. If I didn't know any better (thank goodness I do some) I would start wondering about some of you. A visit to Freud's office for "Hang-ups":laugh: - and to think some think / say that of me:rofl:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, not to mention what is in thoughts.:agree:

scorekeeper

On the Ice
In addition to the fan spiral, I'd like to nominate Uncle Dick's other pet peeve, which prompted him to utter the immortal words "Now that's an ugly spin" at the 2001 GP Final: The classic layback done with knee and toe pointing at the ice. If you can't do a good one, ladies, do a variation, please!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i would hhave tyo say that skaters who don't have the flexiblity to charlottes, fans spirals etc should not do them. Same goes for the men who can't pull thier leg up in fornt without making it look heavy. There are lot sof postitions out there, and if the ones that gather the most points require gymnastic strech, then i suggest not attempting them intil you have hit the ballet bar and the gymnastics training.

blue dog

Record Breaker
No matter what they do to spirals, they will never look this good:

022298oly-fig-womens.2.jpg

I agree, seanibu. The instrument-playing on ice isn't good. Interpret the music. Don't dumb down the interpretation. Fans aren't stupid lol (Didn't someone pretend they were playing a violin once?!)

JACJR

Spectator
I like a charlotte when done nicely. Johnny Weir's coach Priscilla Hill owned the move. My pet peeve is faux middle eastern dance moves, especially the walk like an egyptian arms.

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, I really have noticed the bad fan spirals this year. I actually like the move, when done properly, but those done properly are few and far between and done badly they look like the skater is try to pee on something and it is so unattractive. The leg flexibility seems to be an issue, but also the position of the back makes a big diffference in a skater's success with this move. Also, they have become so ubiquitous that it's a yawn. This year's Beillman.

Also hate the badly done forward and back spirals, though, where the ladies, in an attempt to try to get a huge leg split, bend over until their tongues are practically hanging on the ice. Yes, leg split is aesthetically important in the spiral, but so is a good back position so her chin isn't hanging on the ice.

I haven't seen a lot of it this year, but the obligatory bent wrist-Egyptian-heiroglyph style that so many skaters feel is necessary when they are using music with any kind of eastern theme is beyond annoying.