Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Typically bad moves...done well

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Typically bad moves...done well

OK, a reverse of the BAD MOVE!!! thread--

What move do you think is typically bad, but done well by certain skaters? You can name names/post photos, etc...

I'll start--

I used to think this was used to hide the typically bad layback positions (and there really wasn't much improvement, but)...

Last edited by blue dog; 01-29-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar

Custom Title
    Evan Lysacek: sit spin.

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post

That would be "the pearl."

Joanne Rochette has a nice fan spiral.

Sasha and Shizuka have exquisite Charlottes / candle stick - wish they would both wear unitards once and a while.

Anything Kurt Browning does suddenly is cool.

Biellmann: Alissa Czisny.

Rogue Leader
    I agree with Sasha and the fan spiral. She's the only one I've ever seen who does the position well.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchherder View Post
    Biellmann: Alissa Czisny.
    ITA, and I would add both Zhang and Nagasu. Those young bones allow them to slightly shift their hips when the Biellman reaches max extension, and it makes the shape the most beautiful I can remember seeing.

Custom Title
    Michelle Kwan and Nicole Bobek can master the change of edge spiral

Michelle can also perform spiral moves where she touches the ice with her hands beautifully.

Tripping on the Podium
    Mirai has beautiful Biellmann positions. In her spins, her head is touching the small of her back. In her back spirals, her upper body is perpendicular to the floor.

Caroline has a wonderful ina bauer-- I haven't seen many good ones as of late, and even Shizuka Arakawa's back arch looks plain uncomfortable-- but not hers: back arched, leg extended, head back-- gorgeous.

I should be studying!
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflows View Post
    Caroline has a wonderful ina bauer-- I haven't seen many good ones as of late, and even Shizuka Arakawa's back arch looks plain uncomfortable-- but not hers: back arched, leg extended, head back-- gorgeous.
    I agree about Shizuka's ina bauer looking painful. I just didn't understand all the gushing about that!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace View Post
    I agree about Shizuka's ina bauer looking painful. I just didn't understand all the gushing about that!
    Shizuka always looks like she has confidence and control going into it, and the way she performs it doesn't look painful, with the expression she has. I associate "painful" more with someone trying to force something that they haven't trained enough to do safely.

Quote Originally Posted by debdelilah View Post
    Shizuka always looks like she has confidence and control going into it, and the way she performs it doesn't look painful, with the expression she has. I associate "painful" more with someone trying to force something that they haven't trained enough to do safely.
    Painful...like this?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alsace View Post
    Ditto. I never got all the fuss about the "gorgeous" Ina Bauer she did. I thought there were lots of skaters who did it a lot better. And yes, Slutskaya had a horrible fan spiral. One of the worst offenders in the "squatting" look.

My favourite throwers, even though the throws aren't as big as Shen and Zhao's are Gordeeva and Grinkov and Sale and Pelletier--the reason why is because the men don't look like they're throwing heavy weights at the end of the throw. They maintain their flow and their line. It doesn't look like awkward--I know most people just focus on the wommon during the throw, but sometimes, the male just looks like he's had a hernia once he finishes throwing the wommon.

So, a smaller throw double or triple that looks good on all sides over a BIG throw that has the male looking awkward.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    My favourite throwers, even though the throws aren't as big as Shen and Zhao's are Gordeeva and Grinkov and Sale and Pelletier--the reason why is because the men don't look like they're throwing heavy weights at the end of the throw. They maintain their flow and their line. It doesn't look like awkward--I know most people just focus on the wommon during the throw, but sometimes, the male just looks like he's had a hernia once he finishes throwing the wommon.

So, a smaller throw double or triple that looks good on all sides over a BIG throw that has the male looking awkward.
    ITA. In one competition I could have sworn that both of zhang skates came slightly off the ice during a throw. It scared me so bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast